What are the Avenue Q puppets made of?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I might be completely wrong about this, but I don't think anyone has ever discouraged anyone because they charged less for their work. Several people have mentioned that people who charge less for puppets are probably underselling themselves and their work, but I don't think that's meant to be discouraging or disparaging.

If that's happened in the past, can you point out the specific thread/post Phantom?

I think like a lot of semi-controversial subjects, this is a complex issue that's very nuanced and complicated with a lot factors.

Cost is relative. If builder A spends 100 hours on puppet and charge $2,000 for labour then the math works out to $2000 ÷ 100 hrs = $20 an hour. At the same time, if builder B charges $400 for a puppet but builds it in 20 hours, they've made the same money. Is builder A's puppet maybe a little better made than the one that took twenty hours to build? Well, probably. But builder A spent five times longer building it. On the other hand, I bet that on the average, the person building the $400 puppet sells more than the person selling $2000 puppets.

The golden rule of the market economy is that you charge whatever the market will bare. In different markets that means different prices. Personally, I think what different people do depends on their priorities and the reality of the market they're in. Some people build for schools or ministry and don't want to charge a lot of money. Some builders have no business training and don't know how to cost their puppets appropriately. Some people just love building puppets and don't care about the economics.

A few years ago I met this German violin maker in rural Ontario. He was a blacksmith and in his retirement he took up making violins. He builds these incredible instruments and not only does he make the violin, he uses his forge to make all the tools he uses to build the violin. His work is incredible; he builds world class musical instruments and he won't charge a dime for them. They take months to build and he gives them away as gifts.

Sometimes, price matters not.

intozlight

Reaction score
What I was trying to point out was just how undervalued we are. Alot of time it not about the hours. I tried making a living as a fine artist so I know this from personal experience.

Right now I am trying to raise money for a trailer for my puppet ministry. I have taken what was left of 5 of my limited edition lithographs series and am selling them for no reserve 99c opening bid on e-bay. I will recoup about $5 dollars on each print but since I am no longer showing in the galleries, I figured I do this for the kids. I planned on being able to afford the trailer by selling at least 75% of the remaining prints. Sad thing though, people arent even bidding 99cents on prints that sold in the galleries for between 80 and $140 dollars.

I feel bad that talented people are not appreciated with the wallet as well as the good thoughts. It's not about hours. Somtimes something that took forever is a piece of crap and something that was done very quickly has that spark. An artist never knows.

My heart goes out to everyone trying to get thier worth because they are usually worth so much more. Just the way of the world it seems today.

Blessings
Director Davies

whatadoddle

Reaction score
I am feeling unwell and find looking around on this puppet building site is my treat for the end of the day, I'm sad that we are all questing to find our own identity and keep the art of Puppetry going for future generations, and we still end up argueing...shame!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
intozlight said:
What I was trying to point out was just how undervalued we are.
Although people come at it from different perspectives, I think that's what almost everyone agrees on.

My previous post wasn't meant to be argumentative, I really don't think anyone here has ever been deliberately discouraging.

intozlight

Reaction score
I so agree with Buck. I have looked at this particular forum as a discussion about the trials of getting worth for talent - not an argument. I was sharing my own difficulties as a way to empathize with others, including some here, that struggle.
It's unfortunate that tone does not translate to the written word (sigh).

And the way, I am sorry that you are feeling unwell Whatadoddle

Blessings to ALL

Director Davies
ripplesministry.org

whatadoddle

Reaction score
Hi, Am feeling a little better today, I know what you mean by the written word, I am sure it is less easy to get the wrong idea about stuff in conversation. Sorry all for whingeing!
I have spent many years working for different groups without a penny in return for puppets, scenery, props etc, however the thanks and the smiles were all I needed. Now I need to generate an income to fund other similar projects, it is not so easy or rewarding when today's generation expects "2 for 1". Art is not so appreciated for the skill and gifting that has gone into it (in monetary terms). Recently I did not get a comission because I did not charge enough and it was thought that I would not "come up with the goods" because I did not charge as much as the big guys. You can't win! Still, when one of my puppets inspires a special needs person to get up and express themself for the first time in public, and are visibly thrilled to do so, I cannot measure the feeling I get from that.
Love to all. M X