Well, i am learning this stuff

BorkBork

Reaction score
Well, i wanted to learn how to build muppet-type puppets. So i came here about 2,5 years ago, starting to ask people questions on how to build muppet type foam puppets. I got some really good hints and tips from a number of people.

I also bought the foam book, and creating custom puppets video.

So now, this next week i am building my first real puppet. so wish me luck hehe :wink:

I want to thank everyone for giving me all the tips, you all know who you are. Now i am really getting into this.

Now that i know the way the muppets are built, i have started to notice the seams on the muppets...any one else notice this?

And...one more question...some muppets have hair made of ostrich feathers, but on some muppets the "hair" is really long. How do i make this length with ostr.feather? do i tie them together?

yet another question...since i am not yet using antron fleece, i am using ordinary pre-dyed fleece, wich way should be outside on the puppet? The fuzzy side or the less fuzzy?

Thanks again

Anders

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hey Bork Bork!

If you are using regular fleece do some test stitching on both sides and see which hides seams best (usually it's the side with the highest pile (or "fuzz"). We do a lot of Audrey II plants for "Little Shop of Horrors" usually cover the lips on the larger plants in double sided polar fleece and it works fairly well.

BorkBork

Reaction score
well i'll just try it with the fuzz outside :wink: that's what i thought i should do before i asked anyway :smile:

When i tried to do a model of Sam Eagle's head i used the non fuzzy side out, but the seams didn't hide very well.

/Anders

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
BorkBork...

Your Sam Eagle head was wonderful! Beaker, too!!

I'm proud of your talent and can't wait to see what you do in the future!!

FOZ
(Who really wishes he had more time to make Mahna Mahna and Fozzie Bear).

BorkBork

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
BorkBork...

Your Sam Eagle head was wonderful! Beaker, too!!

I'm proud of your talent and can't wait to see what you do in the future!!

FOZ
(Who really wishes he had more time to make Mahna Mahna and Fozzie Bear).
Thank you, but i don't concider myself as such a great talent yet. I am just learning :wink:
I'm glad you liked my earlier models. But sams head is kinda losing shape...it's more oval now...

I am actually thinking of making a fozzie, but i can't find fozziefurr. I found some, but it was a tiger pattern on it. Brown and black. I asked the lady in the shop if she had it in brown only, but she didn't know where to get that kind of furr in that color.
Maybe i should do a tiger-fozzie, LOL :big_grin:

When i find the furr i will start.

/Anders

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
TIger- Fozzie?

Why not? He's already been a Lion.

Go for it.

FOZ

(btw, you might be able to airbrush the fur?)

BorkBork

Reaction score
I think airbrushing will not work. Then re-dyeing would work better, if the pre-dyed furr takes dye, but i guess i'd have to bleach it. The question then is, will the furr lose quality?
Anyone?

/Anders

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
The fur probably cannot be dyed - most fur is synethetic and will not take normal dye, which is intended to be used with natural fibres like cotton.

If you can't find fur in the right colour you need you may want to consider using mohair (commonly used by Teddy Bear makers) or angora hides. Both of these are very good but a little pricey. A good source for that material is Helen & Don Gladson at Orappa Creek in Alberta Canada. Their email address is orappa@telusplanet.net. You can take a look at their website here. I believe they ship worldwide.

I hope this helps!