Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I got to see Civil War for the first time today, it was amazing! Definitely my favorite Marvel movie so far.

Black Panther had a much bigger role than I was expecting and he was wonderful. The whole cast was great. And if anyone is worried about the new Spiderman, you don't need to worry at all, Tom Holland does a great job in the role. I actually see a little bit of Andrew Garfield in his performance.

There's definitely a lot more action in this movie than the previous ones and the drama gets much heavier at times. There was one scene that had me on the verge of tears, of course I won't give it away though. The action scenes are pretty amazing as well, especially one scene in particular involving a lot of super heroes fighting eachother.

The one thing I was worried about was that I thought there might be a few too many characters in the movie, but it all worked really well. Every character gets their moments to shine and they each get just the right amount of screen time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Civil War was a lot better than it needed to be. It was a transition story to build up the next Avengers film and to shake things up. All the while establishing Spider-Man as part of the shared MCU. I didn't expect to dislike it by any means, and I wasn't disappointed. I think that I kinda liked it more than the second Captain America. It also became the year's highest grossing film, which was previously Deadpool.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I expected to like the movie but it more than exceeded my expectations. It definitely dethroned The Winter Soldier as my favorite Marvel movie.

I'm really glad the movie didn't just feel like a bunch of filler before the main event.
I wonder if all the characters that were in this movie will be in the next
Avengers movie. Can't wait to see the next Thor movie and the Spiderman one.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
I saw it on Monday, and I thought I was a great movie, better than Age of Ultron, almost The Force Awakens, better than Jurrasic World, and I liked how the Black Panther and Spider-Man kind of just blended in right away.
War Machine being alive is good, but if they wanted to get rid of him, why didn't he die? It seems he should've died, falling at least 500 feet in a metal suit to the ground, but stranger death escapes have happened. That is my one complaint with the movie.

Last edited:

scooterfan360

Reaction score
this is a little bit off subject, but in bee movie, the little remark about black widow spiders, offended me. I knew that the main characters friend, meant black women. I hate the fact that they hid that in a kids movie. if you have evey seen the movie, then you know what I mean.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ninja Turtles wins the weekend box office, albeit with much less than its predecessor in spite of not being released in August.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2016&wknd=23&p=.htm
I'm disappointed by this for 2 reasons.

First off, it was a far better movie than the original one. The Turtles were actually involved in the plot. I mean, they shoved far too many things into the film, and it was a mess. But it was a better attempt than the last film which, while written to be a TMNT film, felt more like it was an unsold script for a infection conspiracy film with the Turtles somehow in it. You could remove the Turtles from that film and it would have came out just the same. Stinks that they actually tried this time. I guess TMNT fans don't have the patience that Transformers fans have with their movies. Especially considering even the first TMNT movie was better overall than a standard Bayformers flick.

The second thing worries me. This was a concern I had about the first movie, but it did well enough, even though GOTG came back and overtook it in its second week. I really hope that Viacom doesn't take this film's disappointing returns out on the cartoon series. I'm worried about it getting a sixth season or not, but I'd hate for them to give it the Nicktoons slow burn off like it did with TUFF Puppy. Hopefully the ratings and merchandise of the better of the two Nick owned TMNT projects keeps that show afloat.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The Conjuring 2 won this weekend, and while I'm not familiar with this and its predecessor, they seem to be well-liked and hearken back to the horror movies of old like The Exorcist, so I can at least respect it on that level.

Meanwhile, runner-up Warcraft isn't doing so hot, though it already turned a huge profit overseas, so no loss there. Critics have given it mixed reviews, seemingly because they're trying to get a plot out of a game that's not known for having one, and some of them have even compared it unfavorably to Fant4stic in the way it dumps a bunch of exposition on the viewer.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2016&wknd=24&p=.htm

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Meanwhile, runner-up Warcraft isn't doing so hot, though it already turned a huge profit overseas, so no loss there. Critics have given it mixed reviews, seemingly because they're trying to get a plot out of a game that's not known for having one, and some of them have even compared it unfavorably to Fant4stic in the way it dumps a bunch of exposition on the viewer.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2016&wknd=24&p=.htm
From what I understand, the movie is NOT based on World of Warcraft, but rather the first couple Warcraft games which were multiplayer RTS games. These games DID actually have a plot, albeit a thin one. Something about Orcs going to war with humans. I don't know I've never played any of the warcraft games.

But apparently, even hardcore warcraft fans have called the movie boring and mediocre. Film Brain said his main complaints about the movie was that for such a big budget movie, they did little in the way of anything spectacular, the characters themselves were bland, and the movie struggled to fit in everything it needed to fit in within its run time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It probably made back its budget in China alone. And remember, this is the country that hated Guardians of the Galaxy and even Star Wars episode 7 because they got terrible subtitles. TMNT:OOTS had no less than 3 Chinese production companies (including Ali Baba), so it's clear we're making blockbusters to cater to them. Though I'd expect that TMNT got the same lukewarm reception it got here. So I'd definitely say that if China's involved, we'll see more WOW films, even if the US audience, especially fans of the game, will have none of that. Still...I love how it opened less than Angry Birds, and if it wasn't for the overseas market, it would probably stand to lose more than Ratchet and Clank.

That said, I'm not the greatest fan of horror movies and horror films have had sequels since the early days when the words "Son of" could be put into a title unironically. The Conjuring seems like if it does take reference and homage to 70's horror films, the ads don't really seem like it. There aren't many horror films that are even fun anymore, being formulaic and going for jump scares (and the FNAF movie didn't even enter production yet). Of course the fact that that movie and Now You See Me 2 (was the first one that successful?) and there are sequels left from the week before and the week coming, so I have every bit of confidence that the overall box office story will be "movie goers only go to Marvel and Disney films." And while I would usually agree to the fact that so many sequels of films, especially those that don't deserve them, it's not like they're seeing the original films either. With that, there's a difference between "Now You See Me 2" and anything based on a comic book. Obviously, the comic book cinematic universes at least find different stories in between the action moments, as they have since they were comic books. Not to mention that they're trying to be like the film serials of old, only they're 2 hours long and the movie's all you go to see.