Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I'm not even bothering to post it here or even to watch it, the new Jem Trailer supposedly shows that Synergy is indeed in the movie, and it still hasn't won over 30+ year olds who weren't going to see this thing anyway.

Now I said it before, there was no way this film wasn't going to be Hanna Montana-y (it looks better than that mediocre sitcom at least). And the sad thing is, this may just be a misfire anyway because of an awful truth I stumbled on. Girls of a certain age no longer want to buy toys. Hasbro is actually hurting in the girl's toy department (no small part to the fact that nobody likes Littlest Pet Shop), while they're thriving with boys (after all, they're the license for Marvel and Star Wars, not counting their perennial hit Transformers). The movie is clearly meant to revive a franchise long dormant since the 80's (where it was more successful as a cartoon anyway, and that lead to the show's cancellation). Hasbro always had hits with Transformers, G.I. Joe (except recently for some reason), and MLP...and their insistence that LPS is...a thing.

Jem is something so overtly 1980's cheese it just can't translate into an unironic piece successfully. Hasbro never bothered continuing the license, even though they never had a legitimate doll line outside of it (hence Equestria Girls, and somehow I doubt it's successful since I always see those things on clearance...and well aware of Mxie's World...but I said legitimate..ooooh Burn). As a result, the character never got updated with the times until now. Then you look at Transformers when they came up with Beast Wars to revive the struggling franchise. It was met with soooo much resistance that Trukk Not Munky became a meme. Now it's actually widely considered to be one of their best versions of the characters with BW characters leaking into different versions of TF (comics especially). Because the Jem line was never successful enough for them to bother updating, it comes across mucho freaking dated, and its fans are only specifically just of the original cartoon. Meaning any update would have been met with hate. Imagine a Spice Girls expy. That could have happened.

Frankly, the whole series is so full of cheese that Dr. Two-Brains and Monterrey Jack have the DVD box sets. That doesn't translate for the majority of 12 year old girls this thing was meant for. And unfortunately, neither does a toy line for girls who are told to grow up too fast.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's a real shame Shaun the Sheep isn't capturing the US's imagination. It was an adorable film around as good as the rest of the animated films this season. Stop Motion animated film has really fallen off the map as of late (other than Paranorman and BoxTrolls' cult fanbases). The again, the film probably made back it's budget in its initial British run. Shaun the Sheep really isn't a thing here, anyway.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, on the subject of the Fantastic Four, I'm sure we've all heard of the FF movie that Marvel fans actually want to see, "Doomed." The documentary about Roger Corman's version.

Here's a trailer:

I've never actually bothered to watch the YT videos of the original movie, but one thing is painfully clear. This small studio brought a lot more love and passion to the project than Fox did. And that's why they failed. Fox made the movie because they refuse to lose the rights to a film they don't want, yet didn't care about the project. DisneyMarvel wanted the film to fail so they could foreseeably get the rights even before the Amazing Spider-Man 2 fiasco that ended up working in their favor, so they did everything in their power to shortchange the FF even in print media, animation (though there were Thing appearances in USM and AA), and merchandising. Josh Trank was just...horrible, and the cast really didn't care about the source material. And most of all, the fans were rooting against this movie as soon as the synopsis came out. So basically the film was surrounded by negative energy, was made out of contractual obligation, and it shouldn't have a been a surprise it was a failure.

But I look at that trailer for Doomed and see so much love and intense passion about how they pressed on knowing making it on a low budget was a big mistake. Roger Corman's FF movie may be at best a campy so bad it's good film, but it's a billion times the film Fox pooped out with such negative talent.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And Minions surpassed the 1 Billion mark and it didn't even open in all markets yet. Between that and Jurassic World, I'd say Universal has won the summer.

So, they apparently re-released Jurassic World to Imax (meaning that it'll add to its already huge gains) Unfortunately, my local Imax is closed for upgrading.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Now here's something that sounds intriguing: an R-rated stop motion film called H*** and Back, about a couple of friends (one of whom is voiced by T.J. Miller) who go on a journey into the underworld to rescue their other friend after breaking a blood oath they jokingly took. The thing I worry most about this is that it will recycle those same vulgar "jokes" that most adult animation wore out years ago, though I did like the "hand rape" reference in the trailer, considering that's how a lot of extreme Christians see it.

It's coming out early October.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-...-mo-film-****-back-gets-a-trailer-118043.html

Drtooth

Reaction score
I could have guess that. Don't know why these anemic renditions of not that good tweenage drama stories are still so popular. Especially since the level of writing is always just so... I mean, it's like whoever wrote this came up with the title "The Scorch Trials" because it sounded cool somehow, and when it was decided what the Scorch actually is, it just sounds...idiotic. It's not the "deadlands" it's not the "wastes." No... it's "The Scorch" which sounds just like such a lame attempt to sound all mysterious and brooding.

Anyway, anyone see these Pan trailers?

Wow.

Just... wow. I get that making Tigerlilly a Native American stereotype is unacceptable these days, but did they really need to make her Queen Amedalla from Phantom Menace?