Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's at least accessible to kids and families looking for a good deal, but I still kinda think the film deserves a better release than this; especially with it's 30th anniversary on the horizon.
They honestly don't care much for the collector's market. When they actually do, you have to buy create space MOD's of stuff. And again, I mean in general. FTB totally deserves a Blu-Ray with special features that will tick off regular DVD owners.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
They honestly don't care much for the collector's market. When they actually do, you have to buy create space MOD's of stuff. And again, I mean in general. FTB totally deserves a Blu-Ray with special features that will tick off regular DVD owners.

And since Warner currently has the Sesame Street license, they could even include some bonus clips from Sesame Street.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Would they have anything to do with the movie's plot or just be randomly chosen clips?

Back when the 25th anniversary release was announced, I thought it would be cool to include bonus clips, though at the time Warner Home Video didn't have the video rights to Sesame Street, just Follow That Bird (and then they got the rights a year later). I can't remember what clips I thought should be included then (but I probably made a wishlist back then, in the thread announcing that release).

But today, after thinking about that for a blu-ray release, I was thinking maybe include eight clips from the 1980s, featuring main characters from that era. The only clip I had in mind that I felt had any relevence to the movie was "Fuzzy and Blue (and Orange)", since it's about the color blue and Big Bird gets painted blue in the movie. Other clips that I thought would be great for inclusion: "A grown-ups hand: don't cross the street without it!" with Big Bird, "Snuffy jumps on trampoline", "The Count's counting poem", "Bert and Ernie: Surprise", "Kermit News: Elmo's ideas", "Alone in the Swamp with You", and "Snuffy and Barkley at the park". Maybe I should have taken out "Snuffy jumps on trampoline" since it has Big Bird, Snuffy, and The Count, who all appear in other clips in that wishlist, and replace it with something with Telly (maybe "Food We Eat").

But after you asked this (and I wasn't able to reply then, so I had plenty of time to think about this), I thought, what IF a Blu-ray release of FTB had bonus clips that somehow relate to things in the movie? Here's what I thought up:
  • "Fuzzy and Blue" or "Me Gotta Be Blue" (since Big Bird gets painted blue, and these songs are about being blue)
  • "We're All Monsters" (teaches diversity, the lesson seems similar to this movies lesson that people don't need to be the same species or race to live in harmony)
  • Kermit News: The Bird Family Song (it's about a bird family, though the song title's not in the lyrics)
  • Seatbelt cartoon (since it includes a scene with an airplane pilot flying his plane upside-down, like Ernie and Bert do)
  • Yosh Smengie gives Slimey clarinet lessons (since John Candy makes a cameo in the movie... have any of the movie's other cameo guests appear on the show? I think I've seen Waylon Jennings listed among the shows guests in Sesame Street Unpaved, but I don't know if he actually appeared on the show or if the book listed him because he was in the movie)
  • "City-Country Song" (since Big Bird lives in the city but a lot of the movie takes place in the country)
  • Bert and Ernie: Purple Hand (since the movie has Big Bird painted blue and this skit has Bert's hand painted a different color)

Though Warner would most likely only include one or two bonus clips if any.

Wow, and although there's no news or rumors of a Blu-ray release, it would be great if they could include the full audio tracks of the songs "Working on my Attitude" and "All Together Now". I heard those songs on YouTube a few years ago, and they were great-sounding (especially All Together Now), and yet in the movie you can barely hear those songs (they're heard quietly on radios). They went through the trouble of getting known singers to record those songs, and barely have them in the movie ("All Together Now" especially sounds like it should have played during the end credits)? Were those recorded with the soundtrack in mind (nevermind the fact that, as far as I know, Sesame Street albums have a hard time not selling)?

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Back when the 25th anniversary release was announced, I thought it would be cool to include bonus clips, though at the time Warner Home Video didn't have the video rights to Sesame Street, just Follow That Bird (and then they got the rights a year later). I can't remember what clips I thought should be included then (but I probably made a wishlist back then, in the thread announcing that release).

But today, after thinking about that for a blu-ray release, I was thinking maybe include eight clips from the 1980s, featuring main characters from that era. The only clip I had in mind that I felt had any relevence to the movie was "Fuzzy and Blue (and Orange)", since it's about the color blue and Big Bird gets painted blue in the movie. Other clips that I thought would be great for inclusion: "A grown-ups hand: don't cross the street without it!" with Big Bird, "Snuffy jumps on trampoline", "The Count's counting poem", "Bert and Ernie: Surprise", "Kermit News: Elmo's ideas", "Alone in the Swamp with You", and "Snuffy and Barkley at the park". Maybe I should have taken out "Snuffy jumps on trampoline" since it has Big Bird, Snuffy, and The Count, who all appear in other clips in that wishlist, and replace it with something with Telly (maybe "Food We Eat").

But after you asked this (and I wasn't able to reply then, so I had plenty of time to think about this), I thought, what IF a Blu-ray release of FTB had bonus clips that somehow relate to things in the movie? Here's what I thought up:
  • "Fuzzy and Blue" or "Me Gotta Be Blue" (since Big Bird gets painted blue, and these songs are about being blue)
  • "We're All Monsters" (teaches diversity, the lesson seems similar to this movies lesson that people don't need to be the same species or race to live in harmony)
  • Kermit News: The Bird Family Song (it's about a bird family, though the song title's not in the lyrics)
  • Seatbelt cartoon (since it includes a scene with an airplane pilot flying his plane upside-down, like Ernie and Bert do)
  • Yosh Smengie gives Slimey clarinet lessons (since John Candy makes a cameo in the movie... have any of the movie's other cameo guests appear on the show? I think I've seen Waylon Jennings listed among the shows guests in Sesame Street Unpaved, but I don't know if he actually appeared on the show or if the book listed him because he was in the movie)
  • "City-Country Song" (since Big Bird lives in the city but a lot of the movie takes place in the country)
  • Bert and Ernie: Purple Hand (since the movie has Big Bird painted blue and this skit has Bert's hand painted a different color)
Though Warner would most likely only include one or two bonus clips if any.

Wow, and although there's no news or rumors of a Blu-ray release, it would be great if they could include the full audio tracks of the songs "Working on my Attitude" and "All Together Now". I heard those songs on YouTube a few years ago, and they were great-sounding (especially All Together Now), and yet in the movie you can barely hear those songs (they're heard quietly on radios). They went through the trouble of getting known singers to record those songs, and barely have them in the movie ("All Together Now" especially sounds like it should have played during the end credits)? Were those recorded with the soundtrack in mind (nevermind the fact that, as far as I know, Sesame Street albums have a hard time not selling)?
Those are all some great choices for bonus clips. To answer some of your questions, yes "Working on my Attitude" and "All Together Now" were included on the soundtrack, and here's the clip with Waylon Jennings:
(EKA: Episode 3022)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
To answer some of your questions, yes "Working on my Attitude" and "All Together Now" were included on the soundtrack,

I guess I worded what I asked wrong. I knew that those songs were on the soundtrack. What I was wondering out loud was if maybe the songs were recorded more to have some big names (besides the Muppets and Waylon Jennings) on the soundtrack than to be in the movie. As I said, they would have made for good closing credits music, as opposed to including song recordings that had already been heard in the movie (though I do like the choice of including them in the end credits), but instead, they're barely in the movie (I remember when I first saw those listed in the songs credits, I was confused by those titles). "All Together Now" plays on Gordon's radio when Super Grover crashes into the volkswagon, and "Working on my Attitude" plays on the Sleaze brothers radio when Big Bird realizes they don't plan to let him out of his cage.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I know we still have a month until Learning Rocks comes out, but does anybody else find it odd that the cover still hasn't been posted online? It seems the covers usually come out within a week of being announced.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, the cover for Learning Rocks has been posted on Muppet Wiki. It happened exactly a day after I made a comment about it not being there (I procrastinated on mentioning it for a few days).

We technically don't know whether it'll be two full episodes or a mix of street stories and segments... I don't know whether those episodes had rock and roll segments, but it'd be a shame if a rock-themed release doesn't have many older rock and roll segments (even if it's just rock numbers from the early 1990s and later). No word on bonus segments (besides a bonus street story) or bonus video (as I've said, Rock & Roll! would be a good choice). I know it was never announced that it would have Little Jerry, Little Chrissy, or other classic rock numbers, and we still don't know that they won't be included (hopefully we'll see an online trailer soon), but still, it'd be disapointing to not see those.

I wonder if there are any other rock and roll-themed street stories from recent years, besides what's been announced. It'd be great if, if they need another street story, they'd include the season 32 episode with Little Jerry and the Monotones (there have been recent DVD releases with street stories from as early as season 30). While they probably wouldn't be included unless it was aimed at the nostalgia market, it'd be great if this also included the full street stories with Gina meeting Little Jerry and the Monotones and Elmo taking Little Jerry's place.

Just last night I thought up a great idea for a winter release: A winter-themed DVD. Wouldn't that be great? I don't think there's been any snow episodes for the last two decades, but seasons 5 and 6 (and I think other seasons) had a number of episodes where it snowed, and I think the scenes had nothing in common besides it snowing. Yeah, maybe we wouldn't get a release like that unless it was for the long-time nostalgiac fans, but there are a lot of winter-themed segments (which I think would have a better chance at being included on a modern DVD): Grover coming to Kermit's apartment on a cold day, Kermit and Grover building a snowman, Ernie and Bert building a snowman, Telly reading the word "Cold", Kermit wanting to find out who's been in the snow for a long time, there's at least two Super Grover 2.0 episodes that take place in snowy areas, not to mention quite a few segments taking place in Alaska (though that might not count as winter, since it's always snowing in Alaska).

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Just last night I thought up a great idea for a winter release: A winter-themed DVD. Wouldn't that be great? I don't think there's been any snow episodes for the last two decades, but seasons 5 and 6 (and I think other seasons) had a number of episodes where it snowed, and I think the scenes had nothing in common besides it snowing. Yeah, maybe we wouldn't get a release like that unless it was for the long-time nostalgiac fans, but there are a lot of winter-themed segments (which I think would have a better chance at being included on a modern DVD): Grover coming to Kermit's apartment on a cold day, Kermit and Grover building a snowman, Ernie and Bert building a snowman, Telly reading the word "Cold", Kermit wanting to find out who's been in the snow for a long time, there's at least two Super Grover 2.0 episodes that take place in snowy areas, not to mention quite a few segments taking place in Alaska (though that might not count as winter, since it's always snowing in Alaska).
Oh my god, yes...yes, yes, YES! That would be a DVD that I would not hesitate to buy! Especially if it were to include the segment of Kermit and Grover building a snowman, I would definitely purchase a copy of this particular DVD!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The next Sesame DVD after Learning Rocks will be M is for Mystery, which will come out in September and be a release of two full episodes and a bonus street story. Currently, there's no signs of any Sherlock Hemlock segments (I'm hoping that not everything has been announced yet... Though it seems like when the cover is on Muppet Wiki, and it already is, the release rarely has more bonus content than what has been announced, though I think there have been a few exceptions regarding Warner releases... I don't think we knew that Bye-Bye Pacifier would have Proud or that Elmo's Magic Numbers would have any bonus Pinball segments until they were released).

Yeah, it doesn't need to have Sherlock, but if it doesn't it seems like a wasted opportunity. I'd like it if they could at least put a Sherlock Hemlock clip between the two episodes (though I don't think any of the two-episode DVDs have done that, not that I've watched any of them).