Wall-E: The thread

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Since I didn't see an official thread for the film and it's coming out this weekend I decided to start one. This thread is for anything and everything to do with “Wall-E” and its place in Pixar history, I suppose.

I will make a bold prediction that the film will open at 70M this weekend. Could do more could do less, but that's my number and I'm sticking with it.

Originally I was concerned that a film with very little actual dialog wouldn't fare well with young audiences, but the theatrical trailers have evoked wild reactions from kids. “Ratatouille” was more sophisticated that the average young person's palette and I understand that. It's why the third “Shrek” installment was better received at the box office even though “Ratatouille” was the far superior film.

I think “Wall-E” is one of the rare films that can bridge the generational divide. I personally hope it performs better than “Cars”. I know it's getting a sequel and it is a beautiful film (all Pixar films are beautiful) but it's one of my least favorites. I did, however, like the theme that - winning at any cost isn't really winning - and believe it to be a valuable and timely message to the conservative element of the NASCAR crowd. I'll stop there with the philosophical and political analysis, but I do believe that was intentional and I did notice.

Here are the trailers and clips up on Yahoo Movies.

And here's the Official "Wall-E" site.

It appears there are many more interesting robot characters than Wall-E and a nod to the Island of Misfit Toys...er robots. :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Where I live Walle doesn't start until the 27th..I can just tell from the trailer I am going to like it better than Cars :smile:.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
June 27th is this weekend. Well, the weekend I was talking about. This Friday. Didn't mean to rush anyone's last lingering Sunday hours before the weekday grind. Sorry about that. He he. :wink:

By the way, here's a clip I found of the new short before the film.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Sorry my mind just went "What weekend? This weekend? Where, where? Good movie, must see:excited:!" in the middle of the night *lol*
You know it is funny how they always say they have had most of these movies planned for years and years..It really shows in the care they take in making the story in animated characters. If only more animated movie makers still did that :sympathy:...

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You know? I was glad to see that kids really do know a good movie when they see one as the last Kids Choice awards they voted Ratatouille as their favorite animated film over Shrek among other things.

But in short, this movie really looks awesome and I can not wait for it to come out and to see to too.

Pork

Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to seeing Wall-E. I saw the trailer the other day, it looks so adorable!

Luke

Reaction score
From what ive seen the animation is beautiful, and i think it will have enough dialogue so as not to be totally confusing to kids. I like the concept, though i see the people behind it have been hesitant to make it because it centres around a love story, i also think they could maybe have taken a more entertaining plot angle than that - like maybe a Robots style thing. I think it'll do quite well at the box office.

Does anyone else think Short Circuit when they see it though? lol

Beauregard

Reaction score
I did :stick_out_tongue: Well, actually I thought "Number Johnny Five is Alive!" becuase I can never remember the name of the movie...but same thing.

I think it looks like a great film, because it looks really funny...but arty at the same time. Loving the idea of a modern/children's/fun romance movie. Remember all the old Disney movies were romances (or had romances) while they tend to be a bit clutzy these days (Like the romance in Robots...totally forced and bizare).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I've seen every Pixar film and this will be no exception.

Luke

Reaction score
Loving the idea of a modern/children's/fun romance movie. Remember all the old Disney movies were romances (or had romances) while they tend to be a bit clutzy these days (Like the romance in Robots...totally forced and bizare).
Yeah its gotta be fun romance if they do romance, not clutzy romance. Exactly ... nuthin too serious. Disney Princess brand still seem to do the whole princess romance thing right still and the young girls love it but then they have all that Disney magic stuff, anybody else tries to do it serious it usually seems awkward. Wall-E needs to be funny, lots of sight gags to compensate for the reduced dialogue so it doesn't seem to artsy and serious.

I had a preview of the toys available for this a while back ... mountains of stuff. Way more even than Shrek, Cars or any of those type of movies. They've really done well with all the tie-ins.