Unpopular Shows you Love

Drtooth

Reaction score
How's THAT for a contrary post?

Anyway, you know you love some show that no one actually knows/cares/has heard about. Something that either flew under the radar or got canned quickly that you love that becomes awkward to bring up in conversation. I'll start...

Toonsylvania- Brilliant show that was on Fox Kids (meaning it got shoved off the schedule for Power Rangers pretty quickly), and the forgotten of the "Steven Spielberg Presents" cartoons (possibly due to it not being produced by Warner Bros and Amblin, but rather Dreamworks). We had the likes of Bill Kopp and Mike Peters behind the show (Mike created the zombie family segment), and the voice talents of David Warner, Brad Garret, and Wayne Knight (not to mention Billy West and a host of other Voice acting favorites). Somehow the red headed stepchild of Dreamworks Animation because it wasn't a movie.

Super Dave Hero for Hire- Anyone else remember that wacky DIC produced show? I know Toon Disney reaired the thing at one point early on.

The Good Guys- (or is it the Other Guys... I get those two confused)... the one where Bradley Whitford and Tom Hanks's son were low level crime fighters that were constantly under the watch of the higher ups. Really should have been on cable or something. It was too brilliant for the network.

Ultimate Muscle- I shoved it down your throats enough that I freaking loved this thing. Too bad kids were only interested in anime dubs where animals fight animals, cards fight cards, tops fight tops, or some other stupid toy fighting another stupid toy to watch a show where wrestlers actually fight each other.

The Plastic Man Comedy Show- I dunno if this actually was popular when it came out, but I never hear anyone talking about it. A 1979 super hero series that actually makes good use of the "You can't hit anyone on TV" crap that was going on at the time. Vastly superior to DC's other cartoons at the time, and with sharp writing by (among others) Mark Evainier (they mention the Kloppman Diamond... he got it in there even before Garfield and Friends).

Better off Ted- Okay... it has a cult following that's pretty decent, but it was not the show that caught on with audience like it should have. Again, a cable quality show that was too smart for the room.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was the only kid growing up who actually liked ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE and COW AND CHICKEN, all the other kids hated them.

FRANKtv - Frank Caliendo's MADtv spin-off that only last like half a season, but I thought it was pretty good, personally.

THANK GOD YOU'RE HERE! - Really funny improv showcase hosted by David Alan Grier (love that guy) and judged by Canadian Dave Foley... religious people hated it because the title took the Lord's name in vain, atheists hated it for including God in the title.

WIMZIE'S HOUSE - So sue me.

MissMusical12

Reaction score
I was the only kid growing up who actually liked ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE and COW AND CHICKEN, all the other kids hated them.
You're kidding? "Rocko's Modern Life" and "Cow and Chicken"? I'm surprised. How could any kid despise those shows? Although I was only maybe.....either not born yet or still a little baby when they originally aired, I got to see reruns of them and those shows are very funny. But, I don't get to watch "Rocko's Modern Life" as often as I watch "Cow and Chicken." I know "Cow and Chicken" episodes were on Time Warner Cable On Demand for a while, so I got to watch a couple of episodes.

I don't know if this show would count but "Tales Of The Wizard Of Oz" is one of my all time favorite shows. It's a pretty old show (1961 anyone?) but I got to watch a good chunk of episodes (or shorts...the shorts were only 3-4 minutes long and 6 of them were packaged together to make an episode.) when they were on Time Warner Cable On Demand about 7 or 8 years ago. I was about 9 or 10 when I first started watching the show and I immediately fell in love with it. And, yeah, the show had its flaws (More on the animation side, but again, it was a pretty old show.) The episodes are not On Demand anymore (WAAAAAH!!!!! :cry:) but some of the shorts are either on Youtube or are around on the internet somewhere.

Those unfamiliar to what the show is about, "Tales Of The Wizard Of Oz" is pretty much.....well.....nobody in "The Wizard of Oz" gets what they want. Nobody. The Wizard, who now sounds like W.C. Fields, is too busy procrastinating with his card tricks and other magic to get what everyone wants, although he does try on quite a bit of occasions.

And what about everybody else? Dorothy and Toto now live in Oz, but still want to get back to Kansas. The Wicked Witch of The West is not dead. Glinda, is pretty much non-existent (until the "Return To Oz" special in 1964). Because of the Wizard's procrastination, The Scarecrow, Tinman, and Lion suffer greatly from this and undergo BIG personality changes. The Scarecrow (now named Socrates) is very dumb; The Tinman (now named Rusty) is a heartless jerk (Ha ha. Get it? Heartless? Cause he doesn't have a heart?); and The Lion (now named Dandy. Get it? Dandy Lion?) is scared of every little thing known to man, including his own shadow, but has class. And personally for me, I thought Socrates, Rusty, and Dandy were the best characters in the show, hands down. (I still have a crush on Rusty to this day. :flirt:)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You're kidding? "Rocko's Modern Life" and "Cow and Chicken"? I'm surprised. How could any kid despise those shows? Although I was only maybe.....either not born yet or still a little baby when they originally aired, I got to see reruns of them and those shows are very funny.
I think the problem was the humor of those shows were too offbeat and too edgy for other kids to "get", if you know what I mean... the jokes and gags and such kind of go over their heads; I didn't realize until I was older that I didn't get it either, I was just entertained (that and I've always liked offbeat humor for some reason), but once I got older... yeah, I got it, lol.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I'm really fond of the Belgian CGI kids show Hopla, I like it for the reasons people despise it. It has no plot whatsoever, is YTP level in terms of randomness, and has the most minimalistic CGI in the history of ever (it looks like only the layout was finished and that's it). I have absolutely no idea why I even enjoy it, but I do. Everyone says it's So Bad It's Horrible, but I say it's So Bad It's Good.

I also non-jokingly enjoy AoStH, The Aquabats: Super Show, The Simpsons post-Season 9, and Drake & Josh (it was like the only decent Nick kidcom).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I like the simpsons up to about season 13...that's when it went downhill. Season 8 was still the best

Aaaannnyyywayyyy....

*cough*

Dan Vs needs more respect than it gets. I think it was doomed being on a kids station. It would have done better on adult swim. But then again, if it was on adult swim, I never would have seen it...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I also non-jokingly enjoy AoStH, The Aquabats: Super Show, The Simpsons post-Season 9, and Drake & Josh (it was like the only decent Nick kidcom).
I'm far too loyal to the show to give up watching The Simpsons. There were times quite a while ago when I considered, but what else am I going to do on a Sunday night for a half hour? I can barely get through the summer rerun season or extremely too long baseball playoffs without it, my only chance is with MeTV's Columbo reruns. And trust me. To show how old I am, I watched it first when it popped up on Tracy Ulman. I remember the sheer excitement of seeing those tiny little shorts get a full half hour TV series...nay... TV special, when the Christmas episode premiered.

Anyway, I don't know if this counts as unpopular, I just never hear anyone talking about it...

I LOVE Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. Seriously... no one really seems to give it that time of day, and it's refreshing to see the lucid version of the character outside of comics, so you don't have to go through Bruce Banner for pathos. I also am a big fan of the new Spider-Man series. It had a VERY unpopular opinion when it first came out, but I think they're turning around... especially since the show's essentially both the only attachment Spidey has to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (considering Coulson is played by the same guy) and the show is sort of like (and I like to call it this) Spider-Man: The Brave and the Bold, fitting everyone possible from the Marvel Universe into the show. They had Spider-Ham and Howard the Duck in there!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
BUMP:

In the Heat of the Night is one of my favorite shows, movies, and books. It was a great show, but I think it was a little behind the times, and in some ways before it's time. I love the feel of the family that all of the police have. I also adore the Chief and since I have been watching it, have started talking like him as well.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm far too loyal to the show to give up watching The Simpsons.
You have more patience and loyalty than me then. I can't bare to watch a show that's jumped enough sharks to fill five oceans. It's just too painful. I saw an early episode recently though and it was like a breath of fresh air. :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I really liked the show Baby Bob. I know that pretty much everybody else hates that show (though my mom also liked it). I didn't know many others who watched it (when I talked to my classmates about it after watching the first episode I only vaguely remember anybody else saying that they watched it). I often wonder if the shows writers/producers had a plan for what to do if the show lasted more than a season (since the baby couldn't age otherwise the shows gimmick would be worthless).

I also kind of like That '80s Show. That '70s Show is still the better show, but That '80s Show had it's charm. And I watched that show BEFORE I had become really obsessed with the 1980s, though I had liked the '70s and '80s before then.

And I really liked Life with Louie. Actually I think that show might have a small fan base (well I'm willing to think every TV show has at least a small fan base, even if it's just the cast and crew's family and one other person). That was a funny show to watch.

I wonder if Welcome Freshmen counts as an unpopular show. I really liked that show, and I thought a lot of other people my age liked it when it was on, but it seems to be underrated or forgotten when it comes to early-1990s Nickelodeon. It's one of the few early '90s Nick shows to not be available on iTunes or DVD (not even Amazon's burn-on-demand service), hardly any episodes or clips are on YouTube, and The Nostalgia Critic didn't talk about that show during his "Nickelodeon Month" (of course back then it was harder to find clips from Nickelodeon shows on YouTube because Viacom was against it, so maybe the NC just couldn't find any clips).

That's surprising to hear. I liked both shows, especially Rocko (Cow and Chicken is my least-favorite of the original three "Cartoon Cartoon" shows, and although I like it I'm not in a hurry to revisit that show again). In fact everybody I know who watched the show likes Rocko's Modern Life. I think somebody said that it might have appealed more to adults.... Most of the people I know who like it are my age or younger (I was 9 when the show premiered), and I don't really know anybody older who liked it (not sure what my parents thought of it).