UK's Creature Shop faces closure over taxes

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah, it's pretty sad. Between the selling off of the Muppets, losing sesame street, closing the NY hq and puppet workshop and now this...what will JHC have left? Its really sad.

That Announcer

Reaction score
It would definitely be bad if the London Creature Shop closed down. Who would there be to make animatronics for the new Dark Crystal?

(Not that I care, I hate the original bad enough.) But seriously, if it does happen, things will have been going the worst they've ever been for the JHC. You're right, Cory- the relative failure of MWoO, the NY offices closing down, the buyout, and now the closing of the Creature Shop!

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
It would definitely be bad if the London Creature Shop closed down. Who would there be to make animatronics for the new Dark Crystal?
The LA Creature Shop. The Creature Shop is NOT closing. One office may close. Or be relocated. Or possibly something else we don't know about yet. Maybe the LA Shop will be expanded. Maybe they'll open a shop in New Zealand or Australia (with so much filming going on in that part of the world). Who knows?

Yes the London Shop has a lot of history and has done some amazing work. Yes it would be sad to see that location close. But the film industry has changed a lot since Jim opened that office and adjusting the company to better meet current needs and heighten profitability doesn't strike me as unreasonable. As fans we have a nostalgic connection to the London Creature Shop but a new workshop in a different location could produce the same quality work and that's what really matters, isn't it?

Just my two cents.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
From Greg's site (and Henson.com):

The Jim Henson Company will no longer have a full time staff at its London location of Jim Henson' s Creature Shop. Citing the dollar' s unfavorable exchange rate and the absence of concrete tax incentives in the UK production market, the President & Chief Operating Officer, Peter Schube, made the announcement of this news. The company's own television and film projects are not affected and the Creature Shop will continue to service third party clients out of its Los Angeles and New York locations, as well as hiring freelance crews in London on a project-by-project basis.

Peter Schube said, “Jim Henson's Creature Shop in London was founded on the highest standards of innovation and creativity, launching our worldwide facilities with those principles in mind. We are grateful to the UK film industry for its important place in our company's history and we are confident that it will remain a significant production center for us.”

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
hey gang,

is it me or is THE HOLE JHC gone to H*** the last few years? :confused: first the kids sells the JHC to EMTV, then Sesame Street gets sold (it was a good deal tho and the SS gang seam happy there), then JHC gets sold back to the Henson kids then a few months down the line Sells the Muppets & bear to Disney (wich wasn't a bad deal eather and Kermit & co also seam happy at Mickeys, Disney!) and then They shoe Fraggles, Emmet Otter and that "Whats Left" shows to HIT! (that was also a good deal) and Now this!!! :cry: sad sad sad

mummytomb

Reaction score
Sadly, The company sold it's most profitable asset, merchandising, long ago. in the few moments they had it back it was sold again. Now all there is to rely on is the creativity of individuals. God help them. The Company hasn't been too creative in a long time.