TMM soundtrack

dpurves

Reaction score
Like a lot of people, I'm thrilled that great old movies like TMM and GMC are going to be re-released on DVD later this year. Are there any plans to also re-release the soundtracks? I still have the old vinyl records, and truly regret not having bought TMM soundtrack when it was re-released several years ago, and would love to see the soundtracks once again available as well as the movies themselves.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I haven't heard anything abouot rereleasing the soundtracks, but that would be cool. I made my own not too long ago, and I'm in the process of making one for Labyrinth, MFS, GMC, and MCC. However, if it's pricey, I won't be buying it, since I have made my own and it's got al of the songs with words, and one instrumental. Not too bad for a homemade cd.
I wouldn't mind buying the GMC one though! I need to see that movie, but I really like the songs that I've heard.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
re-releases

I think that the soundtracks for TMM, GMC, and MTM should have all been rereleased back when they were rereleased on video by Columbia.

That Announcer

Reaction score
I'm surprised that the soundtracks haven't been re-released as well, as (from what I understand) the original releases all sold decidedly well. Personally, I just want re-releases of MCC and MTI.

David French

Reaction score
Hmm... Since the Best of the Muppet Show CD was released by Rhino Records, they may be our best bet to ask if the movie soundtracks can be re-released onto CD. Ideally, it would be nice if they included a booklet outlining the recording of the soundtrack, as well as contemporary photos (if any exist). In saying that, which "version" of the album do you think they would release - the UK or the US one?

NB: Only difference between the two is the cover.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
David French said:
In saying that, which "version" of the album do you think they would release - the UK or the US one?

NB: Only difference between the two is the cover.
There actually are two different versions of the soundtrack. I have an old pre-recorded cassette tape of it from when it first came out and it has a different recording of "Never Before, Never Again" on it. I can't recall if there were any other differences. The cover is also different. It is the original drawing of Kermit on the log with the banjo.

:stick_out_tongue:

anathema

Reaction score
Was Once Ernie said:
There actually are two different versions of the soundtrack. I have an old pre-recorded cassette tape of it from when it first came out and it has a different recording of "Never Before, Never Again" on it. I can't recall if there were any other differences. The cover is also different. It is the original drawing of Kermit on the log with the banjo.

:stick_out_tongue:
No, that's the only difference. The US release features the cover you describe, and uses the same arrangement of 'Never Before, Never Again' as used in the 94-minute cut of the movie. Most of the non-US releases use the original poster art on the sleeve, and at least two (UK and Canadian) feature the alternate arrangement of the song, which was also used on the original 97-minute cut of the film.

Oddly enough, there appear to have been two US cassette releases in 1979, one of each version of the album. I don't know if this was duplicated on LP or 8-track.