Those Old Summer Evenings...

Zena Star

Reaction score
...We used to sit outside in front of 123 Sesame Street. We used to sit on the sidewalks and old boxes, or half-hang out of a window to catch a conversation, and we'd look up at the orange-pink sky. We'd talk about times gone by, times to come, things we loved, and things we didn't. We'd tell stories or sing songs. We used to do it all. But not anymore.

Hello! You've stumbled upon my sensational-inspirational-celebrational-muppetational fanfic! That little intro tells you a bit about what may/will be happening, but It'll start in my next post. :flirt: See you tomorrow!

Zena
(Hugs n kisses)

Zena Star

Reaction score
The first chapter...

This story is written from my muppet character Zena's P.O.V. Please read it! it's my first fanfiction...EVER! I want to make a good start. It may seem lame all the way thru, but I'm doing my best!

If you would like to see the image that inspired me (or at least my version of the picture) then you can visit my fanart thread at: http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=41906

Chapter One - Broken Memories...

I remember the last time we ever spent an evening together. It was actually in winter, but we'd called them "Summer Evenings" for a different reason. There used to be a whole group of us, but that one night, there was only four of us. Cousin Ernie and his ol' buddy Bert were there. So was Big Bird. That was all. No-one else stopped by. No-one else opened their windows.

We sat on the ground and looked up to the stars. We wondered all the things to wonder.
"Hey, what do you think's up there?" Ernie had asked. There was a pause.
"I'll bet Mr Hooper's up there." Big Bird said quietly. I shifted a little closer to him.
"I'll bet he's there too." I whispered to him. I'd never known Mr Hooper. David ran Hooper's store now. But I'd heard some wonderful stories about him, and seen Big Bird's drawing. But even this couldn't compare to knowing the man for real.
"What do you think Bert?"
Bert looked up thoughtfully.
"I think that those stars up there are there to remind us of all the good things in the world...all the promises we've made...and all the people we've ever known."
No-one replied. I scratched the nail polish off my thumbnail.
"Sorry. That sounds kinda silly, doesn't it?" He said suddenly, blushing.
"No way, Bert. I think that's a great reason the stars are there." Ernie said quickly. He leant back against the wall, clutching his rubber duckie for some comfort in the awkward silence. Big Bird shivered. The night was cold.
"Hey guys?" I broke the silence.
"Yeah?"
"We'll always be friends, right? I mean, no matter what happens?"
Big Bird put a fluffy arm around me. His beak barely moved as he quietly reassured me.
"Of course we will. No matter what, guys?"
Buddy Bert and Cousin Ernie both agreed.
"Sure we will!"
I frowned. Even so, it felt like all our other friends had given up on us. Ernie suddenly stuck his arm out.
"Friends forever?"
We all joined his little friendship gesture. But it broke apart suddenly. Just like the old times had fallen apart into broken memories.

A single snowflake fluttered down from the sky. Ernie caught it delicately in his big hands and opened them to show us, just as it started to melt.
"See? Even the sky promises that we'll all be friends forever." He chuckled. I gazed at that frozen teardrop. It was melting. And it mimicks the ones coming from my eyes now.

*Sob sob* Oh dear oh dear! I've come to a writer's block! But don't worry, I promise the next chapter will be better and possibly longer. I will also explain why they're called "Summer Evenings".

See you soon!

Zena :flirt:

Zena Star

Reaction score
Uhm, Uhm. To make it clear, this story is set...now. As in 2009...whatever season SS is up to right now. But there are two chracters I want/need to have in here, and they are David (who took over Hooper's store) and Linda...the librarian.

Chapter 2 - Wanting

So there I sat, all on my own, on the steps of 123 Sesame. The street was almost empty, except for a few birds, the occasional passerby, and me. I couldn’t get why. Nothing exciting seemed to be on TV; I didn’t think there had been a party or gathering I hadn’t known about. It was nothing like it had been. Once upon a time, there would be a group of people on the roof of 123 singing a song that no-one could remember the name of, or at least, dancing in the street while singing about the stars.

I stared up at the dark sky. A helicopter drifted by, it’s light flashing. A fake star. Like the fake shadowy spirit of the way Sesame Street had once been. I realised how much it had changed. People had changed. People had left. People had to go for reasons they couldn’t choose.

I’d changed. I used to be able to sit in my apartment, have the window open and play guitar and no one cared. I’d lost the will. My old guitar sits on a table now, a few stickers peeling off, a thin layer of dust coating it. I haven’t played in years. Not since that one year when everything happened all at once.

He left. It was hard for all of us. It changed cousin Ernie, and even his ol’ Buddy Bert. It had changed all my friends in Hensonville. It had changed Mr Kermit. It had changed him so much; he’d left Sesame Street. It feels like forever. We all missed him. We couldn’t believe he’d really gone. It had changed me. I didn’t want to carry on knowing that he wouldn’t be there to show us all how.

But some-how we were still here. In a way. But we weren’t really one big family anymore. Instead of just being “Sesame Street”, now we were “Bert & Ernie”, “Elmo”, “Big Bird”…and the rest. People didn’t do things together the way they had done. I mean, you never see Big Bird and Bert together, do you?

I want to believe that Sesame Street won’t fade away. I want to believe that these changes just might be for the better. I want to see it better.

*WAIL!* Not longer! Not better! *considers giving up* Right. I am 100% determined the next chapter WILL be better. I'm planning it all out, right now. :big_grin:

Zena Star

Reaction score
Chapter 3 – Around the Corner

Okay, brooding over. It may not have been what it had been, but I still had to do my part in making it better. I left my little apartment with a less-than-enthusiastic expression on my clown-like face. That’s the problem with being orange with a big red nose. It’s not very pretty. I emerged into bright sunlight, much different to the unhappy clouds earlier this morning, when the sky matched my mood.

Okay, stop number one, Hooper’s store. The cookie Monster was in the process of devouring a stool, so I steered right away from there. That bottle of figgy fizz was going to have to wait. I turned on my heel and moved swiftly in the opposite direction, before the sneaky green guy in shades tempted me with a 2-for-1 offer on number 7’s. I almost walked straight into that big yellow bird in my haste.
“Whoa! Sorry Bird. Didn’t see ya.” Geez, how stupid was that. How could I have missed that butterball?
“Oh no problem. I was just going to the park!” He said, extremely enthusiastically. I shuddered. Another change. Another difference to the way we were.

I watched him leave, a skip in his step. Then I couldn’t help but smile. Bird hadn’t changed; he was just the same as he had been. At least there was at least one of us that was still the same. I couldn’t say I was the same, and I think I’ve already told you why. But I was glad something hadn’t changed. I stared stupidly as he went around the corner. No-one was quite sure just how Sesame Street was able to extend itself like that, but it did, and now we had a hotel (If you’re over 3ft tall, chances are you’ll have a hard time getting in there), a park, a day-care centre, (Never, EVER attempt to get a job there. I assume the baby monsters there though I was some kind of large ice cream), A Jazz Club…and a whole lot of other things. I personally preferred the Street as its own little dead-end street, but, as long as it made everyone else happy, I wasn’t about to complain.

I wasn’t in any mood to go down there at the time, so I shunned the idea and flopped down on the steps of 123 Sesame, just as Oscar popped up like an over-grown jack-in-the-box.
“Hey!” He shouted. I screamed and tipped over backwards.
“What did you scare me for?” I asked, sitting up and giving the grungy guy the evils.

I had a satisfying argument that ended up with me getting fish in my hair, and him gaining a malfunctioning-state-of-the-art-Muppet-Labs-Clock, courtesy of Bunsen Honeydew, who at that moment, was actually being chased by a rare melon-eating platypus.

It was only when evening came around again that I knew something was ULTRA wrong.

Squeeee~ something is going to happen! And I just got cookie crumbs all over the keyboard. Oops.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Wow. Totally awesome. I haven't seen Sesame Street in so long, but I still think this is turning out very great.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
This nice story you got going here. More please? :insatiable:

BTW: Sesame's celebrating/starting Season 40 this year on November 10.
If only I coulda gotten an artist for the scene I wanted to make happen. *Sigh.

Zena Star

Reaction score
More to come! *is amazed* The Count visited my humble little thread! XD *bows* Okay enough of that. provided I get any-chance to post more, there is soon to be a full-scale wild big bird chase! *triumphant music* I just need to wake up a little earlier.

*cries* and I miss seeing SS. I havent seen it for like...years. Last time was in the Philippines, my family had their old VHS tapes with episodes of SS on it and we were all sat there like "I can sign 'Sing'!" XD

EEK my last post has broken code. I'll have to fix that soon.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
So excited. This is very great. Can't wait until the next chapter.

Zena Star

Reaction score
This chapte ris quite rushed...but it marks one of a few big events XD and the appearnace of the Sleaze Brothers. (Who else would have wanted to kidnap an 8ft Bird?) I really liked Sid. he was just like a big kid :stick_out_tongue:.

Chapter 4 – Panic!

Knock.
Knock.
Knock.
BANG.
“Zeeeeeeeeeeena! Open the dooooooor!” came a wail of distress. I groaned and got up to answer the door. A soon as it swung open, a guy about the same height and appearance as me pretty much fell into my arms in a frenzy.
“Ernie! What is it?”
He straightened up, and then started hopping up and down as if he needed to go to the bathroom.
“Have you seen Big Bird? No-ones seen him anywhere and I’m getting worried!” He wailed, his voice steadily getting higher and higher in pitch.
“…Not since this morning. He was heading ‘Around the corner’ for something.” I said, as he attempted to calm down.
“Okay. That’s the last place anyone saw him. And since its now…eleven P.M.” He put a lot of stress on those two letters, “And he’s not in his nest, We’re all pretty sure he’s gotten lost or…or been taken or something!” He said.
“We?” I said, as if it were a question.
“Everyone! Gordon, Susan, Olivia, David, Maria…buddy Bert, the monsters and Snuffy!” He listed just a few. I assumed everyone in the neighbourhood was probably already plotting a whole “Big Bird Search Party”. I think cousin Ernie may just have read my mind.
“C’mon! Let’s get going! Everybody’s already at Hooper’s store!” He babbled, grabbing hold of my arm and dragging me into the badly-lit street. Most of the light came from Hooper’s store, and I could see the poor little building was filled up like a sardine tin.

“…So the last time anyone saw Bird was at 10 this morning, going around the corner, right?” I could hear Bob’s distinctive voice over everyone else. Then I had to duck as a few letter ‘G’s became airborne. Ernie left me to find his buddy Bert and I was caught up in a crowd of honkers who swept me away to the other side of the room. That’s what you get for being short.
“…Oh…somebody’s taken him! He’s been birdnapped!” Came Telly’s worried voice. This instantly sent the honkers into a panicked frenzy, all ducking under the tables or attempting to hide under flowerpots.
“Don’t worry,” Said Olivia, though anyone could tell she was a little worried herself. “I’m sure Big Bird’s fine, he’s probably just taken a wrong turn somewhere.”
“Around the corner there’s a dead end.” I said sceptically. Olivia bit her lip. There were fainting sounds from under the tables.

It was clear we were getting no-where fast. Bob promised that he and Linda would sort things out by the morning, saying that everyone was just too tired and frazzled to be able to do any proper thinking or organising.

“We did it! We caught him for good this time, Sam!” Sid Sleaze squealed, his voice (not unusually) high pitched. His brother, thought not as flamboyant in his glee, was still pretty pleased with himself. They’d busted out of jail and kidnapped a huge canary, painted it pink and dubbed him ‘The lovebird’ all in the same week.
“…Oh c’mon guys, you can let me out now…Are you gonna let me out now? I think you should let me out now…” Big Bird rambled on in the background, clutching the bars in his pink hands and was unsuccessful in sweet-talking the Sleaze Brothers into letting him out of their new-improved hiding cage. Big Bird regretted accepting the chance to hide in the hiding cage, but he hadn’t known that his “rescuers” were the Sleaze Brothers in fake moustaches. One of them was still wearing his and was combing it.

Big Bird breathed a sigh of frustration.

:eek: Well, there it is. Til next week!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice... But where'd those G's come from? Hmm, must be a Fraggle-hole somewhere there at Hooper's. Also, painting Big Bird pink? *Chuckles lightly. They must have him confused with his cousin Tiffy from Germany. Heeeeee... Thanks and more please.