This is it, the worst animated film EVER

beaker

Reaction score
Well, I just got done watching an animated feature so horrific, so aggregiously bad...well its beyond the boundaries of bad.

Behold, a theatrical animated feature so unwatchable...its almost visionary. Were talking Ralph Bakashi Street Fight/Fritz the Cat/Little Mermaid 2 bad...

Behold...Nickelodeon's Hey Arnold. How this made it into theatres last summer is beyond me, but I just had the mispleasure of sitting through it. Now usually a cartoon's animation quality is bumped up for a theatrical release, like Recess...heck or even South Park. and with the great animation of both Rugrats and the Wild Thornberries movies, I thought for sure Nick couldnt go wrong with a theatrical release. Well forget those Disney cheapquels...what Hey Arnold entails is an astonoshing panorama of Ukrainian ghetto low budget animation glory.

So just what is this bottom of the barrel's bottom's barrel's bottom piece of poo about? Well, good question. Its about a couple of kids trying to save their run down neighborhood from a mutant Roanld Reagan looking corporate businessman named Scheck.(Though the way everyone pronounces it, ya get the idea they really mean something else) Add in some unnervingly cryptic and esotericly unsettling scenes(including Helga's Se7en/Silence of the Lamb'sesque shrine to Arnold, and a morgue with a coroner voiced by Christopher Llyod)...along with cheap snedoffs on Men In Black, Shawshank, Speed and Mission Impossible...and you pretty much got what needs to get the oscar for worst animated film of the year. Were talking animation so bad it makes
Speed Racer look like the Lion King.

I think they should give out a congressional medal of honor for anyone who can sit through this stinker.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
LOL! Hey, I like Ralph Bakshi. Many of his films don't pan out the way they're supposed to, but I respect him for pushing the limits of animation in a time that most people still felt it was only a kid's medium. Much of my Cross Breed is inspired by his work and I named a character after him. It's a Chicken/Rooster drag queen. :big_grin:

Anyway, I could have told you to avoid Hey Arnold like the plague. :rolleyes: I really don't like that kind of stuff.

Bulldawg

Reaction score
it didnt do anything at the theatre but fall and fell fast.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
LOL! Hey, I like Ralph Bakshi. Many of his films don't pan out the way they're supposed to, but I respect him for pushing the limits of animation in a time that most people still felt it was only a kid's medium. Much of my Cross Breed is inspired by his work and I named a character after him. It's a Chicken/Rooster drag queen. :big_grin:

Anyway, I could have told you to avoid Hey Arnold like the plague. :rolleyes: I really don't like that kind of stuff.
Jamie, I know you are able to spot bad animation right away...but really, youve NEVER seen animation this bad...I mean its beyond the beyond bad.

Ive seen a number of Bakashi films. He kind of pioneered the modern Roger Rabbit thing(Ok that was first done in Song of the South) with Street Fight(err, the more "P.C." title of it)
His stuff came out in a really interesting time for envelope pushing animated features. Be it Fritz the Car, Street Fight,
Fantastic Planet, A Doonesbury Special, etc.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You're talking about Arnold, right? I've seen nearly every Bakshi film. The guy was on a shoestring budget all the way because there really was no existing genre to latch onto. I make an exception for underground film and animation. There's no excuse for a big named and solidly backed project like Arnold to skimp on quality.

I finally saw the Dangerous Life of Altar Boys. Great animation in that! McFarlane's work really shines in that film.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This will blow Hey Arnold away (i wanted to see it, till now). I remember hearing about a cartoon version of Titanic that's an insipid clone of a Disney film (singing mice) and it had a happy ending (the boat DIDN'T sink!)

Now, Disney cheapquals have NOTHING on that. Titanic for tykes? IIIIIIIGH!!!

Wish I could remember what site that was on!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I think the worst animated film I ever saw was this movie called "The Swans." It's based on a Hans Christian Anderson tale, so I'm sure the original story was great, but the animation is abysmal and the dialogue is worse. Example:

The heroine's appearance has been changed by her evil step-mother, and she has been banished from the castle. Her brothers, who have been changed to swans, later come upon her, and she tries to convince them that she is their sister. The response:

"You're not our sister! Our sister was very beautiful, and you're really ugly!"
*shudder*

My other least favorite is "Happily Ever After," which had an all-star cast but was absolutely obnoxious. It was a sequel to "Snow White" in which the queen's brother comes and turns Prince Charming into a Gollum-like creature and tries to reclaim his sister's throne... bleah.
Erin

Drtooth

Reaction score
Of course, I never did like Pocahauntas either.

But I did like the actual show, Hey Arnold, and many a quarter was waisted in a vending machine to get either him or Gerald. I wound up with five Eliza Thornberries, Three Donnies, Three Tommies, two yellow angry Beavers, one brown one, and a Spongebob, and I did eventually get Gerald. Though I still want to get Arnold and Chuckie (my favorite Rugrat).

But face it, a lot of animated features are disposable (Disney proves it with Return to Peter Pan and Jungle book, without Louie). Even Power Puff Girls had better animation when it was a feature (plus it was better written than the actual episodes, or most of them anyway). That's why I never did see Hey Arnold, other than coloring things slightly darker, no real animation change existed. I was going to sneak into a showing, but I didn't make it. It was almost over.

However, another terrible one was Tom Sawyer (I think it's second only to Titanic, the kiddy version). it completely distorted, dilluted, and ruined the quality of the book. it made a Disney flick look like Ralph Baksi's work. Singing and dancing animals... ooh, some fun now. Not to mention the overdone Menacing villain (a Giant Bear who kills everyone... well.. not kill, or it wouldn't be G rated). And the villain had to be killed twice, and he was bigger and "scarier" (by that I meant he was drawn with more fangs, and he growled more). Ick! Ick ick ick!!! WHoever green lighted that one wasn't asleep at the switch... he had a coma (a diabetic coma!)

The only ray of light in the whole piece of crap was Richard Kind as someone.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
This will blow Hey Arnold away (i wanted to see it, till now). I remember hearing about a cartoon version of Titanic that's an insipid clone of a Disney film (singing mice) and it had a happy ending (the boat DIDN'T sink!)
I actually have that on tape. It was a brillaint nose thumbing satire at Disney from Saturday Night Live(in 1998), and their penchant for history revisionism through song and dance save the princess two talking sidekicks and an evil emperor cliches.

Titanic; a film thats on my list of movies I will never watch, ever.

Boober_Baby

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
Even Power Puff Girls had better animation when it was a feature (plus it was better written than the actual episodes, or most of them anyway).
You're kidding, right?

Okay, yes the animation was spiffy fantastic, but better writing? That movie was crap! It was only an hour long, and I felt like I had wasted 5 hours watching it. The scenes were unneccesarily drawn out and overly long to fill out a movie that was barely over an hour. For example, there's a scene where the girls are playing tag while unintentionally destroying Townsville... that scene was beyond boring and like 10 minutes long! It could have easily been 3 or 4 minutes long, and the point still would have gotten across. I don't know how kids could have possibly sat through that movie. It was a shame too, cuz I have enjoyed the Powerpuff Girls in the past.

And as I don't even like the show Hey Arnold, I'll never see the movie... but thanks for the warning!

^_^ Debo