1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

There Could Be Some Hope With Oz

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by beaker, Apr 21, 2005.

1. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I have long considered Muppets Wizard of Oz to be a lame duck so to speak, even before the Disney buyout. To me it wreaked of early to mid 90's JHC(AKA the dark ages)

However, some recent pix on ABC's website show that a good chunk of this film may very well have our beloved furry friends playing themselves, and interacting in the modern world(I was afraid the entire set would take place in corny lame studio sets)

Quentin Tarantino looks in good form with kermit here:
    http://abc.go.com/primetime/muppetsoz/images/gallery/ep101/oz_57_360x240.jpg
    and here:
    http://abc.go.com/primetime/muppetsoz/images/gallery/ep101/oz_58_360x240.jpg
    Kill Bill? http://abc.go.com/primetime/muppetsoz/images/gallery/ep101/oz_38_360x240.jpg

scientists do what they do best:
    http://abc.go.com/primetime/muppetsoz/images/gallery/ep101/oz_53_360x240.jpg

A whol enew gang of villians and misfits! We havent seen this in ages...and they look like Jim Henson Hour quality puppets:
    http://abc.go.com/primetime/muppetsoz/images/gallery/ep101/oz_31_360x240.jpg

Clifford! (but is this another club rave sequence?)
    http://abc.go.com/primetime/muppetsoz/images/gallery/ep101/oz_21_360x240.jpg

Awww, reminds me of MTM "Peoples is peoples"
    http://abc.go.com/primetime/muppetsoz/images/gallery/ep101/oz_08_360x240.jpg

Anyways, my Viewing Enthusiasm Advisory level has been raised to guarded.
  2. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

Glad to see you're starting to come around, Beaker. ;)

I have been pretty excited to start, but I continue to get even more hyped the more information and images I see. I noticed a lot of new things in the pictures that excited me too!
  3. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

4. sugarbritchez

sugarbritchez Active Member

I am glad to see something new from the Muppets. I have looked at the pictures on ABC and although I can tell that just about EVERYTHING has been turned around and changed from the true Wizard of Oz story (i.e. Ruby slippers to silver) I still think this is totally awesome. I hope this is the beginning of something great!
  5. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

Actually, the slippers were silver in the original book.
  6. sugarbritchez

See shows how much I know!

LOL
  7. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

MGM made them red in their version of the movie because red was just more colorful than a greyish silver and they wanted to show off their color technology. But the book has them as silver slippers, not ruby. But because the MGM movie was such a hit and is such a part of our culture now, many of the changes that film made to the book are now reguarded as how it "should be" in Oz, when really the book was diffrent in many ways from the MGM film, and I'm sure the Muppet's version will be diffrent from the book in many ways too (just diffrent ways).
    :D
  8. christyb

christyb New Member

Yes, "Toto" is a shrimp with a cell phone, the scarecrow is a frog, and pirates are the Wicked Witch's minions :D. This is going to be great. I'm excited for this movie. I'm glad you're starting to see the bright side of things Beaker :).
  9. sugarbritchez

Maybey I need to read more books! LOL
  10. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Me too. I really wanted to like this movie somehow, and I think seeing the pictures and hearing the Electric Mayhem would be in it (after they were ruthlessly edited out of VMX by way of pressure from parental groups) made me feel a bit better. Let's hope some idiot doesn't go around saying that ol' QT isn't "family friendly" and forces them to chuck it (since it seems like the best part so far) I felt that the Muppets as Oz characters would be cute as plushies or beanies or something, but I didn't exactly love the idea.

But I'm back up to warming up, and excited for the movie. I was "I'll watch it, if nothing else the Muppets could have some nice dialogue somewhere" before.
  11. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Wowzers! Can we believe our eyes! Beaker is sayign something possitive about de movie!

Sorry, beaker, couldn't help myself.

Ditto on all points made by you on this movie. But it looks like it's shapping up to be a good film, and, at last, it looks like we get good human actors (as opposed to the KSY, and MFS actors.) Dorothy looks at least as good as Jenny, if not Jim.

Yey!

Beauergard
  12. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Oh I didnt say that:) I just meant there will be a few things that might be cool about the special.

whoah, I dont even remember them from the movie! Some of them reminded me of Land of Gorch when I first saw that pic.

Well, Disney's subsidiary puts out all of QT's violent films...so, I dont think that'll happen. Besides, QT seems really friendly in interviews. This film needs *some* sort of edge, otherwise it might as well air on PAX.
  13. Crazy Harry

Crazy Harry New Member

:rolleyes: "King Prawn!"
  14. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

het hey that my line
  15. Beauregard

They are from left to right (or right to left depending which way you are looking):

Angel Marie
    Wall-Eyed Pike
    Sweetums
    Crazy Harry
    *unnamed*
    Sal
    *don't know*
    Real Old Tom

And all except the wierd Rat-Like one are from MTI.
  16. pppapazo

pppapazo New Member

I don't think that's Wall-Eyed Pike. I'm pretty sure it's the Purple Hunchback Frackle. Also, isn't that just Old Tom?

The shaggy one with the pink nose is Aretha from Fraggle Rock.

As for the rat-like one in the back, I think he's actually Black Dog from MTI.
  17. christyb

christyb New Member

I just looked at the pic again. And sorry Beau, but pppapazo is right. :)
  18. Beauregard

I'll get you for that. Where's loyalty?
  19. pppapazo

pppapazo New Member

Sorry, Beau.

Does nobody know what the other puppet's name is? I think I recognize him from MTI but I can't find any information about him anywhere.
  20. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Dont you all realize the serriousness of this movie and any and all up comng muupet things. They all are to show the pulice and disny that the muppets are for everyone. not just kids. and it is also to prove to Disny that its worth thier money to spend it on the muppets. I know this movie is going to probley be one of the best movies because it has so much riding on it and it fame i truly bleive that there is going to be somthing in it for every walk of life. that what they are trying to prove. they are a famliy and i think thats whats worng with a lot of America that now think of all puppets for kids. and thats not true at all (With the expetion of Crank Yankers) But muppets more then any because of SS and i think thats what the muppets have been trying to get away from for some time.