The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

Oscarfan

Reaction score
So, I actually watched that "Foodfight!" movie a couple of weeks ago. Yes, it was terrible; bad animation, bad writing. But, the NYTimes article kinda makes me think it could've been slightly better. It mentioned they wanted to have Looney Tunes-style animation; if the movie was done in 2D and done well in 2D, it would've looked really good. Or even good CGI. The concept itself isn't original, but it's not that bad. It would take a lot of effort to have made it a good movie, but it definitely had the potential.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, I actually watched that "Foodfight!" movie a couple of weeks ago. Yes, it was terrible; bad animation, bad writing. But, the NYTimes article kinda makes me think it could've been slightly better. It mentioned they wanted to have Looney Tunes-style animation; if the movie was done in 2D and done well in 2D, it would've looked really good. Or even good CGI. The concept itself isn't original, but it's not that bad. It would take a lot of effort to have made it a good movie, but it definitely had the potential.
Foodfight could have had better animation, and less fake products (due to sponsors pulling out)... but it seems like they have some concepts that are stronger than the film itself. Still, it does look slightly better than this Space Opera thing.

I guess this is going to attract an ironic audience due to Charlie Sheen's voice work. Really... the Rifftrax guys need to get their hands on this AND Oogieloves. But they'll do Man Of Steel and say nothing we haven't heard online. Foodfight DESERVES a good riffing.

What does everyone think of the idea of those new Mickey Mouse shorts? Something about it seems wrong to me...
They're the best thing Disney has done since Gravity Falls is what. And it does look like something someone who used to work on Dexter's Lab would do. I'm glad that we're getting fluid, cartoony looking flash and nothing as stiff and ugly as Gofrette.

For those who haven't seen it yet.

And it's just great to see Mickey as something besides some dull surprise Dora talking preschool fodder that asks you to look for a triangle bush.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I guess this is going to attract an ironic audience due to Charlie Sheen's voice work. Really... the Rifftrax guys need to get their hands on this AND Oogieloves. But they'll do Man Of Steel and say nothing we haven't heard online. Foodfight DESERVES a good riffing.
There's this web series on YT called "The Annotated Series" in which these guys riff on shows using the power of the YT annotations. That's how I was able to stand watching Sonic Underground, Adventures of SMB3, or *shudder* Ctrl-Alt-Del. You should check them out.

Drtooth said:
I'm glad that we're getting fluid, cartoony looking flash and nothing as stiff and ugly as Gofrette.
I'm also glad we're seeing a slow turnaround in higher quality Flash animation on TV. That, Doodlebops, the aforementioned Ctrl-Alt-Del, and The Cat in the Hat are big exceptions to that trend.

Drtooth said:
And it's just great to see Mickey as something besides some dull surprise Dora talking preschool fodder that asks you to look for a triangle bush.
MMCH should also be coming to an end soon, according to a recent tweet by Goofy's voice actor. :smile:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Awww... I like SMB3. Other than the crappy animation, Luigi's whiny voice, and that... ugh... episode with Milli Vanilli. The one I really have problems with is Super Mario World. Some of it is genuinely enjoyable, some of it is kinda... worse than SMB3. Much worse.
I do like Cheatsy and Kooky, though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really like the design choices they had for the Koopas. Too bad they didn't get decent enough animation to really make those designs sing, though. I always preferred DIC's King Koopa to Nintendo's. Even when they made him bigger and more menacing recently.

But getting back on the subject. I see this film all the time being offered on a Redbox...

Actually, it doesn't look terrible, but neither does it remarkable. But those are the UGLIEST character designs I've ever seen. They look like they'd work as a kid's book, but as 3-D creatures, some of them really look like monstrosities.

mr3urious

Reaction score
There's some decent TV-quality lighting and textures, but yeah, the character designs are very appalling.

beaker

Reaction score
If it comes down to rights, nothing can be done about it.

On the original subject of the thread, looks like Planes has a crappy ripoff film

As one of the comments said "A rip-off of a spin-off of Pixar's second worst movie.
Well then."

Edit again... Rob Schneider's in it. It seems they went to great lengths to make this the worst movie ever.
Looks better cgi wise than that "Last Flight of the Champion" trailer I posted.
But yeah...wow...that comment says it all.

Personally I'm waiting for "Disney's Drones"

beaker

Reaction score
WHAT THE FROG WAS THAT?!?!
Anybody can do better CGI than that nowadays, heck if I was practicing CGI right now, I think I can do a WAY better job than what that animation crew is doing.
I have virtually no cgi modelling skills and I honest to goodness have in the last year done cgi scenes that look better than this. I mean this looks like super unrendered low rez animatic cgi, like the phase in a movie when it's just rough sketches in pre production. How did this get an official MPAA rating and trailers.apple.com release?
This makes ALL the Pixar ripoff films look like Rango...and y'all know Rango is the most high end cgi film of all time

beaker

Reaction score
What the...devil was that? In 1990 that might have been decent CGI, but today...Arrgh. It's like a high school CGI class got together, each contributing one character, and then doodled out a story around it for their class project.
If you go to the 2 minute 38 second mark of this animated comedy spoof short I did, the cgi in the Dreamworks trailer spoof I did there took me barely a few hours. And I honest to goodness am absolutely terrible and a blank in my cgi skill knowledge.

beaker

Reaction score
Here are some other projects by the company behind this movie, Omnipulse Entertainment, home of "some of the most advanced hardware and software tools available".
I almost think the FBI and Justice Department need to investigate that company, could be some sort of money laundering front:smile: Seriously tho, the 1998 direct to video Chuck E Cheese film had better cgi animation. In fact, I know I have PC CD-Rom games from 20 years ago that has way better cut scene sci fi CGI animation

You have a point there.

Though you have to admit, this actually looks better than Oogieloves. Not by much, but that's a pretty high bar of awfulness.

And seriously... there are NO pages on it. It's so eerily similar to how Oogieloves was released. I'm sure there will be a lot of articles on this 4 year long labor of 3 weeks of effort. Even Studio Brinquendo films look more theatrical than this.
Gonna be honest, Oogieloves kind of looks interesting in a bizarre 3 in the morning sort of way. Of course I love weird quirky films like Howard The Duck, Meet The Hollowheads, Earth Girls Are Easy, Dr Otto and the Riddle of the Glowbeam(the first Ernest film), Ernest goes to Jail, Dark Backwards, Meet The Feebles, Human Highway, etc. so I actually would watch Oogieloves just for the oddballness.