The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

Drtooth

Reaction score
Looking at RACHET & CLANK, it somehow reminds me a little or ROBOTS, and this 2000s Canadian movie called PINOCCHIO 3000 that had some ARTHUR voice actors in it, including Arthur's mom voicing Pinocchio, Buster's mom as an expy of Dexter's computer, and Marina as the evil mayor's daughter.
I'm not familiar with the video games, so I can't vouch for anything in the movie being the same or different. All I know is the original game voice cast is reprising their roles so...yay... David Kaye. beast Wars Megatron himself...ye-e-e-ssssssss.

It looks fun enough for me to want to check it out. That's about it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's something hilarious I found online.

The teaser trailer for the movie "Barnyard." With obviously incomplete animation, but it's just so...ugh that it looks like something that would belong here. Unfortunately it's of the "no capture card, recorded off a television" Youtube variety, but the ugly really shines through.

Now, I dug Barnyard as a movie. It was okay and all, nothing to write home about (especially considering the actually a pleasant surprise of the cartoon series), but jeeeeezzzz that teaser doesn't do it any favors.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I never even really wasted any time with any of the BARNYARD franchise myself, mainly because it looked so cheap and primitive by today's CGI standards - and the premise itself looked kind of dumb anyway.

But what gets me is this was a Nickelodeon CGI movie . . . I mean, have you seen RANGO? That movie was so well animated with so much rendering and detail, you'd assume they actually got those creatures and put cute little clothes on them and filmed that.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I never even really wasted any time with any of the BARNYARD franchise myself, mainly because it looked so cheap and primitive by today's CGI standards - and the premise itself looked kind of dumb anyway.
It was made with commercial-grade software after all, just like the other CGI productions from Steve Oedekerk. And even then, I feel they really made the most of it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. The end result was certainly not that primitive, but it wasn't the best looking thing out there. A step up from Jimmy Neutron made years before. Also, I noticed they wanted a holiday release when I saw the movie come out 2006 summer instead. Hopefully to look better than what was in the teaser.

Other than that, I recommend the movie if you're really bored and open to it. Think the only reason I saw it was because I was really into King of Queens at the time and saw it for Kevin James. But I highly recommend the animated series that actually made the most of the concept and had better all around writing. Especially the second half of the series where they just went insane making it. Far better a cartoon series than a movie, and I think Chris Hardwick did a better job as Otis than Kevin James did. Plus, it has the voice actors of 2 of the original Ninja Turtles as a ferret and a chicken, not to mention Uncle Ted from Bobby's world as the pig.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
General Plot details about The Emoji Movie have been announced, and the whole concept is a lot like Wreck-It Ralph's. Oh, and Spotify is going to be featured, among "many other apps". Sounds like a shill, unless it turns out to be like The Lego Movie. I doubt it will be anything but a combination of the two films I mentioned. Here's an article about it:
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/04/emoji-movie-spotify-facebook-product-placement
Also, the Barnyard TV show is much better than the movie. I watched some of it, and it was enjoyable.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd make a snide remark, but I'm too dejected that they'd greenlight The Emoji Movie to say anything about it.

And yes, Barnyard works better as a TV show because the writers didn't give a crap. It becomes so incredibly insane at some point that it's impossible to resist. Especially when it has early Family Guy style cut scenes interrupting the episodes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
UGH. Saw the poster for this one after seeing Ratchet and Clank.

Now, I'll admit it looks good. It's not some visually unappealing piece of junk, I'll give it that. And this is one of those European deals dubbed for the US, so maybe the original one is good. But first...tell me that isn't the traileriest trailer you've ever seen. The pop music placement, the fat animal character being voiced by a black woman saying sassy things about how fat she is and how it's sexy somehow because it's a tapir, and the obvious cuts that are completely out of context and worse in the trailer's context. While fifty fifty I can overlook that if a film genuinely looks good, I find the idea of Robinson Caruso from the perspective of wacky stock trope cartoon animals distasteful and idiotic. It looks like it took a serious collision with a DTV Ice Age knockoff and got a bad concussion that knocked most of its I.Q. points down.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Going by the trailer, it looks very lowbrow and by-the-numbers in spite of its decent-quality animation. It's getting a September release here in the U.S. but with no competition to speak of, so here's hoping it crashes and burns either way.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Doesn't even seem to have any American celebrity voice actors in those roles either. Though I can't say if that's a positive or negative. Trying to remove the fact that that trailer is the most trailery trailer I've ever seen, I can't really see this being decent, let alone good. Even with that actually really good animation. I do indeed like foreign animation of all kinds, and those foreign companies don't need to be slaves to our Pixar/Disney/Dreamworks/Blue Sky exports. Just, they made a very unremarkable movie and all. I mean, if it was one or two friendly animals helping out old Robinson, I could get behind that. It could be downright Disney-esque. But a whole gang of animals with Robinson being the second banana smacks of trying to be Ice Age instead.