The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Foodfight!

This discussion is over. There is NO WAY any CG animated movie or any other animated movie period can be worse than that, if you don't agree with me than watch it for yourself, of you dare.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Are those really movies? They are just knockoffs of recent big-studio kiddy films.
These Jungle Book movies are not so much knockoffs of big budget recent kiddy films so much as preemptive knockoffs of big budget Jungle Book adaptions to come. At least 2 studios have expressed interest in live action Jungle Book adaptions, Disney being one of them... and it's probably a safe call to say they're just going to remake their version darker or something.

Okay... did the research on this and it turns out, it's a TV show, quite possibly crushed into movie form, or they made movies or something. Actually, this is quite interesting... it was actually made in India where the book took place. They tried airing it on The Disney Channel or Disney XD, but it didn't take off. So it's a case of forcing something down that doesn't take.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
About that Back To The Sea movie people keep talking about, it's actually in 2D, looking like a movie of that type made in the early 2000's like The Trumpet of The Swan. There's even an app based on it, which reveals that this actually got a theatrical release.
A similar "oh, let's fool parents into thinking that the movie we are trying to sell is CGI!" happened with one of my favorite childhood movies recently. "Magic Adventures of Mumfie: The Movie" was recently re-released as "Mumfie's Quest" by Lionsgate (who distributes most of these bad CGI movies). Here's the cover Lionsgate gave it:

Boy, does that look horrible.
And here's what the actual movie looks like:
This is actually a great film that's worth watching, and is rated higher than most of these CGI abominations of IMDB (8.2, which is also higher than most popular kids cartoons today like SpongeBob and Friendship is Magic).

As for actual CGI films, I didn't like How To Train Your Dragon 2. It was good at the beginning with the island of dragons and all and the song the parents sang in the middle, but as the movie went on, it became boring and tedious due to the plot dragging on. This coming from someone who actually enjoyed Legends of Oz.

Here's another CGI movie that was plain awful to many Nickelodeon viewers when it first came out, Furby Island. It's basically a 45-minute commercial for the Furby toys combined with a decent plot about how the Furbies were discovered and how they can sense people's feelings. But some people said the animation was ugly, but as a child, I didn't care about that. Here's part 1 of the movie:

Remember that Planes rip-off Wings someone mentioned last year? Looks like that got a sequel to cash in on Planes: Fire and Rescue.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=DacDG8VPzdM Ugh.This seems it could be worse than Legends of Oz. My 100th post!
Crayons that act like humans...where have I seen that before?

Also, has anyone heard of the new SpongeBob movie, Sponge Out Of Water? Nick is trying to hop on to the "cartoons in the real world" bandwagon by making SpongeBob and friends become superheroes to save the secret formula from being stolen by Burgerbeard the Pirate. Here's a picture of the CGI:

To me, they look like action figures just placed in a movie. Also, is SpongeBob wearing Po from the Teletubbies' antenna? Everyone on TVTropes said that they hated it just from this picture and said they would have rather seen Hey Arnold!: The Jungle Movie, before even watching this...

Last edited:

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
I'll be honest, I was hesitant about the new Spongebob movie. Of corse I rolled my eyes when I saw it was gonna be CGI. But, having seen the trailer, it looks good. Seriously, that is the most convincing CGI against live action I've seen in a long time. Yes they look like action figures but at least they look like they are standing right there! Besides they still have the 2-D animation and, while I haven't seen the cartoon in a long time, the humour seems to be true to it's source.

People seem quick to judge this movie because of the CGI (and I don't blame them, what with Smurfs and Garfield and such). But you know what? I'm gonna give it a try when it comes out.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'll be honest, I was hesitant about the new Spongebob movie. Of corse I rolled my eyes when I saw it was gonna be CGI. But, having seen the trailer, it looks good. Seriously, that is the most convincing CGI against live action I've seen in a long time. Yes they look like action figures but at least they look like they are standing right there! Besides they still have the 2-D animation and, while I haven't seen the cartoon in a long time, the humour seems to be true to it's source.
Plus, they look like their good old cartoony selves rather than the super realistic uncanny valleyness of Garfield or Scooby-Doo.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I do dislike the constant CGI versions of characters in the real world, Spongebob seems to be doing it right by making the characters look like themselves. No added irises in the eyes which always looks much more unsettling than just giving them cartoon eyes. As long as the action focuses only on Spongebob and his characters instead of some whiny little kid Mary Sue/Marty Sue, I'm all for it.

Everyone on TVTropes said that they hated it just from this picture and said they would have rather seen Hey Arnold!: The Jungle Movie, before even watching this...
Which is immature and ridiculous a statement. I don't know where to begin, but...

First off, Nick screwed that Hey Arnold movie years ago. Other than reruns, DVD's, and T-shirts, they're not going to care much for an almost 20 year old, let alone giving it a movie that only late teens and early 20 year olds are going to see. The nostalgia factor isn't great enough to even get a lower budget animated movie off the ground. Even if it did, their bungling that made the wrong Hey Arnold movie theatrical yielded very bad box office that couldn't make up the film's low production costs. And as much as Spongebob has worn out his welcome, being in television for 15 years with continuous episode production, it makes money. Spongebob only had like 2 films almost a decade apart. Rugrats had 3 movies (one was a cross over) in the course of 5 years. By logic, we should be in our fourth Spongebob theatrical movie by now.

To think that Nick is out to get Hey Arnold fans by having a second film based on a cash cow franchise like Spongebob and not a movie they were never going to make in the first place based on a long cancelled cartoon series is... well, impossible to define.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
While I do dislike the constant CGI versions of characters in the real world, Spongebob seems to be doing it right by making the characters look like themselves. No added irises in the eyes which always looks much more unsettling than just giving them cartoon eyes. As long as the action focuses only on Spongebob and his characters instead of some whiny little kid Mary Sue/Marty Sue, I'm all for it.

Which is immature and ridiculous a statement. I don't know where to begin, but...

First off, Nick screwed that Hey Arnold movie years ago. Other than reruns, DVD's, and T-shirts, they're not going to care much for an almost 20 year old, let alone giving it a movie that only late teens and early 20 year olds are going to see. The nostalgia factor isn't great enough to even get a lower budget animated movie off the ground. Even if it did, their bungling that made the wrong Hey Arnold movie theatrical yielded very bad box office that couldn't make up the film's low production costs. And as much as Spongebob has worn out his welcome, being in television for 15 years with continuous episode production, it makes money. Spongebob only had like 2 films almost a decade apart. Rugrats had 3 movies (one was a cross over) in the course of 5 years. By logic, we should be in our fourth Spongebob theatrical movie by now.

To think that Nick is out to get Hey Arnold fans by having a second film based on a cash cow franchise like Spongebob and not a movie they were never going to make in the first place based on a long cancelled cartoon series is... well, impossible to define.
Yeah, I agree with you. The movie that beat Hey Arnold was more well-recieved than that movie.
About that Jungle Book series, Disney XD recently cancelled it for Doraemon, which itself is getting a CGI finale movie in Japan this Saturday.
Here's another bad CGI movie that rips off Donkey from Shrek: Donkey Xote! My sister saw this on TV and said it was that bad.

Drtooth

Reaction score
About that Jungle Book series, Disney XD recently cancelled it for Doraemon, which itself is getting a CGI finale movie in Japan this Saturday.
As I said, somehow, episodes must have been Harmony Golded into movie form or something. Either that or two movies were made concurrently. I dunno. Info about the series is sparse at best with any searches related to The Jungle Book either going directly to the Disney movie from the 60's or the Disney movie coming out next year.

Seems like this thing wasn't a hit in the US, and was quickly forgotten... except by Burger King (I was kinda annoyed I missed out on the Tom and Jerry promotion, and only got Butch and Spike, so I was kinda annoyed there). from the preview segment I've seen, I can't really judge, but it is much better looking than most of the movies mentioned.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. I wonder why they didn't just take their Super Hero costumes from that Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episode...eh, they have something else in mind.

That thing on Spongebob's head is obviously a bubbleblower, if anyone's wondering.