The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Well, we are nearing the time when Last Flight of the Champion is officially a year old. A year later STILL nothing about it but here.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
Well, we are nearing the time when Last Flight of the Champion is officially a year old. A year later STILL nothing about it but here.
On their Facebook page, they promised a summer DVD release, but that never happened. It's like Foodfight all over again...
While looking for any news on it, Dino Time got a theatrical release in Mexico recently (possibly the only country that's not Australia to get it, they recently got a DVD release too):

Drtooth

Reaction score
The thing never managed to be the shame of the internet like I hoped it would. There's barely anything about it and it didn't even get so much as a RedBox DVD release. The thing was born into obscurity, and it died in obscurity. Considering the director's shoddy treatment of his animators, the thing can rot for all I care. Well... if it wasn't digital and on physical film. Guess the files could get corrupted or something.

While looking for any news on it, Dino Time got a theatrical release in Mexico recently (possibly the only country that's not Australia to get it, they recently got a DVD release too):
That's another film I'm surprised they didn't just dump on Redbox. Seriously. Go to a Red Box, more than half of the videos advertised on it are cheap mockbusters and such. There was no way this was going to get a US theatrical release, even a limited one. Heck, even a Kidtoons Cinema release. And I doubt the film's so bad that they refuse to put it on DVD and release it. I've seen worse get wide DVD releases. Funny how that film never managed to get released up here.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
There was no way this was going to get a US theatrical release, even a limited one. Heck, even a Kidtoons Cinema release.
Kidtoons closed down in 2012 and GKIDS now owns the rights. Too bad, since I would have loved to see Mumfie's Quest in theaters (because they did a few Lionsgate things).

I recently learned that a certain movie about people who train dragons is coming to DVD...

Yes, it's a mockbuster of Final Fantasy and How To Train Your Dragon!
There's also going to be a soon-to-be-released BoxTrolls/Arrietty hybrid film:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't find any internet proof this exists (as I don't know the name of it)... but a fabric store I was dragged to actually had knockoff "Barnyard" licensed kid's fabrics.

All I can say is, how low is the bar set for mockbusters that you'd actually make one based on "Barnyard?" I mean, I dig the movie and the cartoon series is far superior (it's actually quite good)... but really? A Barnyard knockoff? Someone made a fake Barnyard as if Barnyard had that big a fan base in the first place?

mr3urious

Reaction score
There's also going to be a soon-to-be-released BoxTrolls/Arrietty hybrid film:
You know a movie is going to be bad when the Dove Foundation's "Family Approved" label is slapped on the box.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
I can't find any internet proof this exists (as I don't know the name of it)... but a fabric store I was dragged to actually had knockoff "Barnyard" licensed kid's fabrics.

All I can say is, how low is the bar set for mockbusters that you'd actually make one based on "Barnyard?" I mean, I dig the movie and the cartoon series is far superior (it's actually quite good)... but really? A Barnyard knockoff? Someone made a fake Barnyard as if Barnyard had that big a fan base in the first place?
Bootleg products is a problem with all Nickelodeon shows, from Dora the Explorer to Jimmy Neutron. After all, it was the first kids' network on cable TV.
You know a movie is going to be bad when the Dove Foundation's "Family Approved" label is slapped on the box.
Also, those same DVDs will usually will have a a KIDS FIRST! label on the back as well. They are a company which approves horrible CGI movies as well like Imp's Island and The Legend of Sasquach. The only exception to this is Mumfie's Quest (the 2001 release had their label on it, and they've approved of it ever since it came out in 1996), which may be one of the best animated films of all time, according to those who watched it during their childhood, and even better than every bad CGI movie mentioned on this thread. Here are some clips of the movie:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Bootleg products is a problem with all Nickelodeon shows, from Dora the Explorer to Jimmy Neutron. After all, it was the first kids' network on cable TV.

Bootleg and Ripoff are two different things. Bootlegs are usually illegal outright (yet companies barely do anything about it), where as a ripoff is legal in the sense that there's enough benefit of doubt to keep from lawsuits for the most part.

Now the fabric I'm describing isn't a serial numbers filed off version of Barnyard, but an actual licensed product featuring an actual title (with "TM" marks next to the titles no less), with a suspiciously similar looking art style, but with different animals. I actually found a picture of it:

GAH!!! This had to have been a lousy CGI DTV movie. I just don't know the name of it. It looks very much Studio Brinquendo, though...

mr3urious

Reaction score
Yuck! Imagine a kid trying to sleep with that as a bedspread! :eek:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eh, whatever some craft loving person wants to make of it. Still freakin' ugly. I swear there's one that has the actual title of the thing. Maybe I'll try to go back and find the name of it. Swear it had the title "adventures" in it.