The new Muppet movie: Next Year's Yogi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It happens with every major property when they lose their creators. So, you're stuck with either throwing a sheet over it, putting in in mothballs, only taking it out for an Orange Juice commercial or something, OR you can continue the property as best as you can.
I half agree with you. But there's a lot of older franchises that don't technically "continue" their property (that is, make new projects), but still remain very popular even years later. And it's because their best work is still around and available for people to see. I do think Disney should have been building up the Muppets past work all these years a lot more than they have been. Then the Muppets wouldn't have to keep trying so hard to recapture attention with new projects.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I half agree with you. But there's a lot of older franchises that don't technically "continue" their property (that is, make new projects), but still remain very popular even years later. And it's because their best work is still around and available for people to see.
There are some, just can't think of them now...

Then there's a bunch of purists who poopoo any new projects, like that new Start Trek movie. I'm not even that big a Trek fan and I loved it. Let's not go into 2k3 TMNT, because I found that a fitting regeneration of an old series... just... the toy company screwed up and forced totally idiotic formats on the show in order to sell figures they NEVER made.

But look at the state Disney was in after Walt's death... how long did it take them to get back on their feet?

Property relaunches are a crap shoot. You either get a proper one or you wind up dumbing it down for kids who don't care about the project either way. Look at the latest Pink Panther movies. If they were planning on continuing them as a series ala James Bond, they failed at it.

The one concern that I agree was brought up is that there has been TOO many cheap relaunches of cheap stuff in the past few years that this may inevitably get lost in the shuffle. Of course, those are halfbaked, uninvolved, and "we can stand to take a loss" type projects. Again, the Chipmunks was a surprise, even to Fox, and we wound up with another string of BAD relaunches that didn't work either (like anyone cares about Marmaduke).

But Disney has been smart with this one... a little overly cautious, and they could have done a little more... but at least they aren't throwing it out there with no publicity, little merchandise, and a who cares unless it's popular attitude. That's what worries me about calling the movie simply "The Muppets." Of course, they are pretty much as is, they don't have celebrity voices, they aren't CGI halfbreed monsters, and they actually WANT the film to be successful. A successful Muppet movie will lead to others... and unlike most licenses, they can always start with a fresh, unattached film. Plus, we have someone that hated the last string of movies, so that's always good.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There are some, just can't think of them now...
The Beatles. Yes I know they did those two new songs in 1995, and fans liked them OK, but mainly what helped bring the Beatles back into the spotlight in the '90s was how the Anthology highlighted the prime of the Beatles work from the 1960s. I still see young kids who love the Beatles and it's because of the best work they did in the '60s, not because they did two new songs.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Then there's a bunch of purists who poopoo any new projects...
I totally agree. And it's crazy.

Case in point: the hardcore Disneyana fans who take delight in bashing every new project or endeavor that the Walt Disney Company does, no matter how good or bad it is, and saying that the company hasn't been able to do anything right since Walt's death. Definetely the kind of attitude that truly can hurt a fan community rather than elevate it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I totally agree. And it's crazy.

Case in point: the hardcore Disneyana fans who take delight in bashing every new project or endeavor that the Walt Disney Company does, no matter how good or bad it is, and saying that the company hasn't been able to do anything right since Walt's death. Definetely the kind of attitude that truly can hurt a fan community rather than elevate it.
I admit I consider myself a purist, but at the same time I do have a mind of my own. If something is good, I admit that it is good.

Just because some fans are more loyal to a particular time period than others does not mean they are hurting the fanbase. There's always going to be different opinions. A fanbase that doesn't have a little diversity can't survive either.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Just because some fans are more loyal to a particular time period than others does not mean they are hurting the fanbase.
i find this true and untrue, the Purist and more loyal of fan base sometimes out number those who enjoy any project of a particular fanbase, and in the end their negative comments out weigh the good and studios only read those. im not saying thats what happens with all those current movies made out off old shows but id say a good chunk suffer from this

its hard to please old fans and still try to get a new audience and sometimes doing both isnt in the books

im one of those who tries to find at least some good in the stuff i like VMX, OZ and In Space being some

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
i find this true and untrue, the Purist and more loyal of fan base sometimes out number those who enjoy any project of a particular fanbase, and in the end their negative comments out weigh the good and studios only read those. im not saying thats what happens with all those current movies made out off old shows but id say a good chunk suffer from this

its hard to please old fans and still try to get a new audience and sometimes doing both isnt in the books
Sometimes studios need to listen to those "old fans" or else their project will go too far away from the vision that the franchise is supposed to represent. :wink:

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
when its a well thought out comment and review yes

but ive seen many who just spew hatred just to spew without ever even seeing the movie thats based off their fave franchise

a personal one for me is Turtles when TMNT came out in 2007 one of my close friends said it was awful and the worst thing ever just cause the turtles were cgi and not suits

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
when its a well thought out comment yes

but ive seen many who just spew hatred just to spew without ever even seeing the movie thats based off their fave franchise
There's people like that in every kind of fanbase. There's fans who get hostile if a newer project isn't instantly embraced by all. Fans are going to disagree and either group demanding that the other side stop is not helpful.

But I agree that one should see the product first before truly deciding it's bad or good. And people should remain civil. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The opening weekend will come down the promotion, advertising and timing. It has a great chance of success seeing that they're reassembling the classic magic rather than eclipsing or remaking it with special effects and gimmicks like Yogi or Garfield.

The "Muppets Movie" has a great chance seeing that it gets the jump by opening the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and has very little competition. The new "Twilight" and "Happy Feet 2" come out the week before it. The only other slated competitors for that date include some sort of raunchy teen comedy and Sony Animation's "Arthur Christmas" about an elf bringing presents to an overlooked house. If “The Muppets” is a good film then word of mouth will take care of the rest.

I also think the Muppet performers do a fantastic job, but there are a few folk who won't be satisfied. The Muppets have always been for the dreamers, not-so-much the naysayers. They usually suffer the fate of Nicky Holiday or Doc Hopper. Kinda lonely, but it's never too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.