The Jim Henson Hour Appreciation Thread

Scooterforever

Reaction score
So, I knew what TJHH was when I was a kid, but I believe I only ever saw 1 episode, as my parents didn't record it like they did all the Muppet specials. I just started watching it over the last couple days, but so far I'm liking it. I love the format; a half-hour of Kermit and friends trying to manage Muppet Central, followed by another half hour of a Muppets/ JH special. There were exceptions to this format, such as the superb episode "Dog City," which only featured Kermit and friends for about 10 minutes before the show goes to the dogs:drool:. And of course the woefully unappreciated and wonderfully done "Monster Maker" doesn't feature MC at all, just an intro by Henson. Anyway, while it wasn't TMS, and gave many TMS Muppet regulars the boot in favor of new character such as Digit (my fav of the new TJHH cast), Lindbergh, and Leon, among others, I still find it to be a fun and entertaining show. It still features whacky skits and guest stars, much like TMS, and for my money it was way better than Muppets Tonight. Your thoughts?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah I remember seeing a few episodes back in the day. I didn't realize it was a TV show I just thought there were an unusual number of Muppet specials that year, lol.

The one I remembered most was the sketch about pollution with Ted Dansen. This kind of stuff just isn't talked about anymore and if it is politics always comes in as a distraction.

Borples

Reaction score
I didn't watch it when it aired-- I was out of the country at the time I think. But lately I've been enjoying bits of it on Youtube. Good stuff. I watched the whole "Secrets of the Muppets" episode, and it's fantastic. It's always so fun to get to see the performers at work.

Also, the Lion is gorgeous.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Also, the Lion is gorgeous.
Oh yeah I know! And just a couple days ago I was watching "Secrets of the Muppets" and my Mother was walking by and said, "Is that a real l lion?" Lol

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Yeah I remember seeing a few episodes back in the day. I didn't realize it was a TV show I just thought there were an unusual number of Muppet specials that year, lol.

The one I remembered most was the sketch about pollution with Ted Dansen. This kind of stuff just isn't talked about anymore and if it is politics always comes in as a distraction.
Yeah, I remember that clip from when I was a kid, too, although I think I saw it separately as part of an environmental special. The episode is "Aquatic Life" and also featured Ted Danson fighting pirates on a cruise ship. The second house of the show is a fantasy teleplay by Jerry Juhl entitled "Lighthouse Island," and features Jerry Nelson in an onscreen role as "Fred." The special seems like a fairy tale that could've been told by The Storyteller, except that it takes place in modern times.

We Got Us

Reaction score
I just watched the part of Jim Henson's memorial where the Muppateers sing his favorite songs. It's so bittersweet and gorgeous...the looks on their faces as they sing the happy songs and the sad ones...that man brought so much joy to this world. I'm sure it's all coming back to him in the next one! God bless you Jim, thinking about you this Christmas! :jim:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The second house of the show is a fantasy teleplay by Jerry Juhl entitled "Lighthouse Island," and features Jerry Nelson in an onscreen role as "Fred." The special seems like a fairy tale that could've been told by The Storyteller, except that it takes place in modern times.
Yeah I loved "Lighthouse Island" the music is really beautiful and I liked the ending.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Someone's gonna give me flack for this... but I think I liked the Muppet Central segments conceptually more than The Muppet Show. It really embraced what television could be and could stand for... and it's experimental nature was far more like Jim. I absolutely hate that it never found the audience it should have and got canceled so quickly. It should have run for a full season at least. Brilliant show... it showed all the unique sides of what Henson productions were all about, especially the Creature Shop fairy tales. I don't think I appreciated them much until I was older.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Someone's gonna give me flack for this... but I think I liked the Muppet Central segments conceptually more than The Muppet Show. It really embraced what television could be and could stand for... and it's experimental nature was far more like Jim. I absolutely hate that it never found the audience it should have and got canceled so quickly. It should have run for a full season at least. Brilliant show... it showed all the unique sides of what Henson productions were all about, especially the Creature Shop fairy tales. I don't think I appreciated them much until I was older.
Well watching the episodes now, I personally don't think the Muppet Central segments were as strong as The Muppet Show as far as plot or humor. They weren't bad, they just weren't quite good enough. But I agree that they matched Jim's sense of creativity and ambition. :smile:

robodog

Reaction score
I remember being really engrossed in an episode once to the point where I was tuning out everything else. My dad tossed one of my boglins at me to get my attention and it startled me to the point that I jumped a foot in the air.