The Great Weight Loss Race

Vic Romano

Reaction score
The cheeseburger (along with a few other choice delacacies) threw me off and I went up again, but I fought back and I'm down to 252.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Good for you Vic. I'm thinking about getting something sweet to eat. Let's face it, running 33 miles this week has made me hungry. Even apples and grapes and green beans and all that good stuff doesn't help to aid in the 1250+ calories I burn off a day. Those foods are healthy and good for you, but have very little calories in them.

By the way, if you peopel do lose the weight and continue to exercise, be very careful, exercising can become addictive. Plus, if you eat something like a chocolate bar, you think you're going to gain the weight back and more and that makes you work out all the time to make sure you don't gain the weight back, even though you won't and end up losing more weight, like me.

ryan

Vic Romano

Reaction score
How do you run almost ten miles? That's phenominal! I do half a mile a day, and that's tough. How do you pace yourself? Do you run like a mile and then take a short break? How long has it taken to build up so much endurance? I bow to your athletic abilities, sir!

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Originally I started to run to lose weight, running like 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile but I would take four or five breaks, and I ran slow. Then I just started to run with less breaks or no breaks running 1/2 per day, then I started running a mile and half and then increasing the miles as I started to get better at running.

Then when I was in college, I started to run on the treadmill and I started to go at a faster pace, and I kept increasing my speed. Now I can run 8 miles in 1 hour. Sometimes I take a short 2 minute break and get some water, or sometimes I just run the whole 8 miles without taking a break. Or on occasion, I might take two breaks which are a few minutes a piece. But I usually take 1 break or no breaks at all.

Here's the deal, it's tough the first 2 or three miles if I'm running 8 miles because my body is getting into the swing of things. By the fourth mile, I'm doing okay and keep on pushing myself. And then I might stop by the fifth mile and get a drink of water, depending if I need a break, or I might just continue to run. By the time I reach 6 and 1/2 miles, if I haven't stopped and if I'm not all that thirsty, I'll continue to run until I reach 8 miles. I mean why stop when I'm almost finished.

Other times if I'm goign to run 9, 10, or maybe even 11 miles, I'll stop by the 7th mile, get some water, and then continue to run. And I'll also stretch some more.

Basically, I just tell myself to keep on going and don't stop. It's easier said than done, or typed than done, but that's what I say to myself. Plus, if people in their 40s and 50s can still run 30 miles or more a week, then I can too.

Also, there maybe a day or so I might not want to run, but I usually say if I can sit for an hour or two and be lazy, then I can go run or workout, etc.

But once you get started and continue to exercise, you get into it and probably won't quit. It'll take a while, a few months, etc. to get into exercising, if you want to lose weight, but after those couple of months or even four months, assuming if your still exerice four times a week, then keeping up the exercising won't be hard at all.

Plus another tip, exercise on the weekends instead of trying to cram all your exercising in the weekdays, which people tend to do either before work or after you get off from work. A lot of people don't really do anything on the weekends except sit and eat. Plus, you're not going to be tired during the weekend because you get to sleep in and before and after exercising you can watch tv, or see a movie, etc., and relax. So I like to exercise saturdays and sundays to get two days of exercising out of the way, and then find time two days during the week and finish my running, which usually is monday and tuesday, or monday and wednesday.

And lastly, listen to music, either from an mp3 player, or from a cd player, or whatever else, to get you pumped up and to let your workout go faster and smoother.

So there you all go. You got Ryan's exercise tips and how I am able to run all those crazy miles.

ryan

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I ran 11 miles this morning.

How is everyone doing with their weight loss so far?

ryan

Davina

Reaction score
Dang, wish i'd found this thread earlier.. my excuse is that my hard drive crashed and i wasn't online much for several months (plus we bought a house, moved, etc etc... ) am just getting back into my old forums and such...
anyway.. dang, i could seriously use a good support group (and any other support groups i can get...) 3 years ago i was headed in the right direction.. then married, moved and had a lot of family deaths and other stress, and now, 3 years later am tipping the scale at 300 pounds.. and i'm 5'4".. with family history of diabetes on both sides.. so i KNOW i'm in trouble. only recently have i been able to convince hubby that changes were going to be made.. now i just have to enforce them.. problem is.. i'm weak!!!!

i really need to loose 150 pounds. I'd still be "overweight" but only by like 15 pounds, which, i can live with... :smile:
my current plan is to work on loosing 15 pounds at a time. I've already started changing my diet (hubby's been off at national guard training for 6 weeks, so that was easier..) and am starting back up with belly dancing (which is how i'd lost weight before)
my biggest challenges are breads and pastas, chocolate and, oddly enough, jerky.. we'd found a brand of jerky we really liked when looking for stuff for food storage/emergency use (live in alaska, so always have a stockpile in case of snow or earthquake or, these days, possible attack...) and i have seriously become addicted to the stuff...

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:smile: