The Darkwing Duck Thread

Slackbot

Reaction score
Late night brain fart. Point is, they were SatAM episodes, and Disney has not seen fit to put them on DVD. Maybe we'll get them sometime after TMS season 5.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I recently purchased volume 2. I hadn't seen it in stores in years, but just the other day Best Buy had a stand with pretty much all of the Disney Afternoon box sets (except Gummi Bears), and it seems some box sets have been packaged with a special CGI Mickey Mouse beachball (I chose the Darkwing Duck Vol. 2 set WITHOUT the beach ball).

I've been watching several episodes I hadn't watched on YouTube ( as well as some that I'd only watched bits and pieces of online), and there's so many great episodes. Although I've watched a number of episodes on YouTube (especially the ones that have not yet gotten DVD releases), it feels better watching these episodes on DVD. I've gotten through so many great episodes... The Secret Origin of Darkwing Duck, Twin Beaks, Life, the Negaverse, and Everything, The Darkwing Squad... There's even episodes I wasn't aware of that are very great, like All's Fahrenheit in Love and War, Dances with Bigfoot, and The Incredible Bulk. I don't have time to post my thoughts on these episodes now, maybe later.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
As I type this, I am actually watching the Darkwing Duck episode: Life, the Negaverse, and Everything, plus I put a bid to get on the Darkwing Duck comics, hope I win.

Also believe it or not, I've actually been considering getting a tattoo of the Fearsome Five: Negaduck, Megavolt, Bushroot, the Liquidator, and Quackerjack.

I know I've posted on this thread before, but needless to say, I am a huge Darkwing fan.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well just a few nights ago I finished watching all the episodes on volume 2, and would like to provide thoughts on some episodes (not all of them):
  • Ghoul of my Dreams - I've read that this is the episode where Morgana officially gives up being a villian. While it seems so, it's disapointing that the episode where she does give up on villiany ended up being a dream episode.
  • Heavy Mental - I didn't know that Sara Bellum (or ANYBODY from SHUSH) got an introduction episode. And yes, I am aware that other introduction episodes were broadcast after other episodes with the characters were broadcast.
  • The Darkwing Squad - This is a cool episode, Darkwing trains SHUSH agents to be more like him, and then gets annoyed by their behavior. And I was suspicious at first when Grizzlikov seemed to join FOWL. And it seems his opinion on Darkwing has improved by the end (were there any more episodes with this character after this episode?).
  • In Like Blunt - Wow, quite a few DuckTales characters appear in this (Flimgold, Beagle Boys, I think I saw that magic duck girl).
  • Let's Get Respectable - This episode is interesting. There's a number of episodes, like this one, where I feel more of Darkwing's recurring villians should have been used (other episodes include Dead Duck and A Duck By Any Other Name). But Negaduck is the only one in this episode, while Darkwing ends up arresting many other bad guys, who only appear in this episode (though all the other enemies seem like average criminals instead of supervillians).
  • Adopt-a-Con - I've seen this one on YouTube years ago, but I'd like to express how weird it is that Drake, Launchpad, and Gosylyn trick Tuskernini into thinking they are villians, but he never seems to find out that they aren't, nor does he tell the police about them being "bad guys" as well.
  • Whiffle While You Work - This episode is great. I like seeing Darkwing and Gosylyn compete in a video game contest. And it's fun to see Darkwing and Quackerjack in a video game.
  • Dry Hard - This episode is a whole lot better than I'd expected. I didn't expect so many instances of Liquidator getting stopped/captured and then escaping.
  • Life, The Negaverse, and Everything - Wow, most of the negaverse counterparts have some distinctive visual difference, but the "Friendly Four" looks exactly like their real-world counterparts (I guess to get people thinking that they WERE the regular villians).

Additionally, it's interesting how Herb often seems to be portrayed as a king, either in fantasy or alternate universes. And after watching Morgana in My Valentine Ghoul and Ghoul of My Dreams, she is a much better character than I previously thought (though before that I DID kind of appreciate her romance with Darkwing). And although there's a number of episodes that I felt should have featured more recurring villians, I was pleaseantly surprised to see cameo group shots of various villians (both Fearsome Five and outside villians) in Ghoul of My Dreams and Time and Punishment (also surprised that Negaduck wasn't in either of those scenes).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I remember reading a long time ago that there was an episode where Drake Mallard wore a Darkwing Duck costume at a costume party, and the other party guests didn't think he was a very convincing Darkwing. Anybody know which episode this was?

minor muppetz

Reaction score

Drtooth

Reaction score
Probably is.

But then again, the fact that the Ducktales movie did poorly kinda screwed us out of getting one. I don't see why Disney doesn't think DTV anniversary projects aren't worth it.

That said, I hope the Ducktales remastered game does well enough for Darkwing Duck remastered to be considered.

Slackbot

Reaction score
We got Goof Troop movies, but not Darkwing Duck. This supports my theory that the universe is unfair.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
We got Goof Troop movies, but not Darkwing Duck. This supports my theory that the universe is unfair.
But the Goof Troop movies didn't have Goof Troop in the title (when I first saw the trailer for A Goofy Movie I assumed it would be titled "Goof Troop: The Movie"). Not to mention the fact that Max and PJ were older, Pete's wife, daughter, and dog were all absent and not mentioned, and that PJ and Pete were barely in any of the promos or posters (I saw the original trailer again for the first time since I first saw it and was surprised to see the trailer briefly include Pete), while the new characters (including Bobby who only gets six scenes, most in the first half, and is never mentioned again during the long gap between his last two scenes) were all over the promos and posters.

Drtooth

Reaction score
To agree and expand upon what minor muppetz said, A Goofy Movie was never supposed to be a Goof Troop movie, and Max somehow got adopted into Disney canon. PJ to a lesser extent, but Max has appeared in some of the DTV Christmas specials, and his movie form worked at House of Mouse. That said, it's not exactly like they followed it up with Bonkers the movie.

Goofy Movie was meant to be a Disney character film, Goofy is a staple character after all.

The real complaint would be Doug, Recess, and Teacher's Pet being made into films, but hear this out... Doug only was a theatrical film because the Rugrats film did well. it was a DTV project first and foremost, but they promoted it to theatrical. The first trailer for the film on a Disney home video (I want to say Lion King 2) even said it was coming soon to home video. It did well enough in that special February-March school vacation week that they'd get the confidence to release Recess in that same timeframe, and it did very well. They delayed the heck out of Teacher's Pet, and it got dumped in January and didn't do that well. Also, they didn't even consider DTV projects until after Aladdin. Had they stumbled upon that sooner, I'm sure they'd've made Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Duck DTV projects.

That said, dang straight we got screwed out of a Darkwing film.