The Buildings of SS

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's a text diagram of the set of Sesame Street according to Caroll Spinney (from his book.)

When you enter the set of Sesame Street (I'm assuming it's actually the subway entrance because), the first thing you see is the Mail-It-Shop, then a tenament (according to Caroll) which is probably the door that leads to Bob's apartment, then Hooper's Store, then the arbor area, or as Caroll refers to it, "the community garden area" where you have a red apartment building, the carriage house which is now Gina's vet office, and another apartment wall (where Zoe and Telly live), then around the corner is the 123 brownstone, with Oscar's trashcan next to it, around the next corner is Big Bird's nest area, and finally across the street is the green screen/blue screen area, as well as enough space to shoot inserts like Ernie and Bert's apartment, or the Count's castle.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Snowthmeiser. Kinda makes me really want the SS figure license to get picked up and made a reality. Then again, I have some plans... Who knows if they'll ever get fully carried out. Only time will tell.

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
Also Sesame Street is probably one of the few shows that you actually see the floor of the street in many shots. I think it's nice that we see that cobblestone design on the floor near the carriage house as well as the sidewalks. It's nice when the camera pans and you actually see the street from Oscars trash can all the way to the mail-it shop.

In real life, the entire street is just a pattern painted on a concrete floor.

Also the concrete floor is perfectly level and smooth. It's so smooth and level so that you don't hear the puppeteers rolling themselves across the floor on little wheeled carts.

trevrook

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the old episodes to come out on DVD. It will be interesting to see what changes in the buildings were made. I kind of miss the original look of Hopper's store.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Perhaps the library is on the other side of the street maybe? When did they have a bike shop?

Pug Lover

Reaction score
I may have mentioned this before in another topic.But in Sesame Street Presents Follow That Bird,we actually saw the other side of the street for probably the first time.There was a jewelry shop and a few other stores directly across the street from 123.Beyond the Mail It Shop/Fix It Shop there appeared to be a fire hall.
Do you suppose it may have been a different studio?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Pug Lover said:
Do you suppose it may have been a different studio?
Of course it was. The show is shot in a studio in Queens, New York. Follow That Bird was shot in Toronto, Canada, home of Canada's queen of comedy!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
If it weren't for Canada we wouldn't have ever had Saturday Night Live, the majority of their cast came from there, didn't they?

I've always wished that there were a real street with buildings set up that way and had the same name in some city somewhere. Even if the characters weren't there--which they wouldn't be--it'd be cool to live there.

Painted concrete floors? They must do some major up-keep on those floors--the paint never smears or anything.