The Broken Puppeteer's Arm

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Folks know by now that I've broken my puppeteering arm. :cry:
Are there any other puppeteers who've broken their arm before?
What are the effects, short-term (after the cast is removed) and long-term? How long after the cast did it take to get you arm back in to shape?
Did you do anything in particular that was theraputic and helpful?
Any advice or thoughts from your experience that can help me during mine?

Obviously, I'm starting this thread as the information could be resourceful for others down the road other than me just now.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
One thing I cannot stress enough is the importance of physical therapy. I've never broken my arm, but I broke my ankle a few years ago. I was told to do physical therapy, but figured I could go without it. Now I'm always having trouble with my ankle.

I think you should ask your doctor about what kind of exercises you can do the day the cast comes off. There may even be some stuff you can do with the cast on.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
Folks know by now that I've broken my puppeteering arm. :cry:
Are there any other puppeteers who've broken their arm before?
What are the effects, short-term (after the cast is removed) and long-term? How long after the cast did it take to get you arm back in to shape?
Did you do anything in particular that was theraputic and helpful?
Any advice or thoughts from your experience that can help me during mine?

Obviously, I'm starting this thread as the information could be resourceful for others down the road other than me just now.

So sorry to hear that your broke your arm. I hope it gets better FB. There is nothing like being sore and restricted. Hang in there.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Likewise, sorry to hear you've broken your arm!

My younger brother is a professional guitarist and broke his good arm snowboarding a few years ago. He followed all of his doctor's instructions and now it's good as new and doesn't seem to have any side effects. Of course he was relatively young when it happened (20 I think) and age does makes a difference (the older you are the more difficult it can be for an injury to heal).

If you experience problems with coordination after your arm heals I'd recommend looking for a book on Brain Gym, which is a system for improving hand/eye coordination. We use at the studio where I work before puppeteering sometimes.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hiya Kev,

I broke my right wrist many years back and actually drew those old Fozzie Bear and Jim Henson pencil drawings using a lot of my left hand. It's slow-going, but a lot of that craft is with the eye and intuition. I'm not sure how that connects to puppetry. Hope you heal soon! :embarrassed:

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i broke my wrist as well and its never really been the same...something always hurts in it after a certain amount of time or after some lifting

even now as i move it, it cracks a little.....luckily im ambidextrous so i can always switch

i guess my advice is go back into it slowly and make sure you let your arm rest after

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Thanks for encouragement and advice. It's going to take some real learning to get my left hand to do good art. Left handed puppetry is okay. Any other notes to add are welcome.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
I cut the tendons in my right hand- my index finger and middle finger...I am right handed and thought it would put a damper on both my handwriting and puppet skillz :smile: It actually took a lot of therapy to get full use of my hand. Don't worry though. In no time it'll be healed and you should be back on track.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
That makes me feel better. I now have more range of movement of my thumb than I've had lately. So, from Dec. 12 to Jan 5 to get that.