The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hi Mr. Lewis! Fans always have their favorites, but what unsung Muppet character would you like to see get more screentime? Thanks!

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Okay thanks.
*deep breath*
Hi Jim, I'm a relatively new member but a very very long time fan. I have to be honest I'm almost afraid to ask this. I'm an up and coming screen writer. I've written a short Muppet Music Video script that I really want to pitch when it's ready. I read on the website that in order to pitch something one has to go through an agency or lawyer that has had previous dealings with the studio. (at least that is how it came across) Do you have any advice how to get started with something like that? Also, do you happen to have any advice about writing for the Muppets just in general or if it's even possible? (I know a lot of studios like to stick with a team that it knows, I can't imagine Henson would be any different, but I wanted to ask.)
Thank you so much for your time.

terrimonster

Reaction score
Hi, Jim.

My question isn't so much Muppet-related as it is writing-related. Is it ever too late to get into TV/film writing? Nine years ago, I had done PA work for a Comedy Central series, I was an intern at a major Hollywood production company, I had connections to the industry and I had a script reviewed by a studio pro. Then various things (I like to call them "life") happened, and the dream kind of faded. Now, I'm a 32-year-old software engineer, and most of my connections are weak at best. Is it too late now? Will it be too late in 5 years? If not, what do you suggest to get "back" into it?

Duke Remington

Reaction score
1) Jim, are you in any way involved in the writing for the upcoming Muppet movie?

2) Were you involved in any of the writing for the Movies.com series "Statler & Waldorf From the Balcony"?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Sorry gang I have been super busy, but should have these questions sent by tomorow.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Answers from Jim Lewis 11/15/10

1. From Frogboy4: Hi Mr. Lewis! Fans always have their favorites, but what unsung Muppet character would you like to see get more screentime? Thanks!

Mr. Poodlepants. A creation of the fertile (and overgrown) mind of Kirk Thatcher, Mr. Poodlepants made an ever-so-brief appearance on “Muppets Tonight”, but I never felt he got his due. Here’s my favorite part of Mr. Poodlepants: like the Swedish Chef, he’s a live-hands puppet performed by two performers. So one performer is doing the left hand and the head, and the other performer is doing the right hand. Okay, stay with me. On Mr. Poodlepants’ right hand was a puppet named Clownie. When Mr. Poodlepants had Clownie on his right hand, everything was swell. Clownie was Mr. P’s pal. But when Clownie came off the right hand, the right hand became Mr. Hand (performed by the second performer). And Mr. Hand thought Mr. Poodlepants was a nutcase (and not without reason). Inevitably, Mr. Poodlepants would have to send Mr. Hand to “The Pit” (i.e. his armpit). Oh, the fun we could’ve had with this. But, alas, perhaps it was before its time – or perhaps I need a long, long rest.

2. From Gonzo’s Hobbit: Okay thanks.
*deep breath*
Hi Jim, I'm a relatively new member but a very very long time fan. I have to be honest I'm almost afraid to ask this. I'm an up and coming screen writer. I've written a short Muppet Music Video script that I really want to pitch when it's ready. I read on the website that in order to pitch something one has to go through an agency or lawyer that has had previous dealings with the studio. (at least that is how it came across) Do you have any advice how to get started with something like that? Also, do you happen to have any advice about writing for the Muppets just in general or if it's even possible? (I know a lot of studios like to stick with a team that it knows, I can't imagine Henson would be any different, but I wanted to ask.)
Thank you so much for your time.

Gee, I wish I had a short answer that could give you a step-by-step guide to getting where you want to go. But the fact is, it’s not a simple process. First, what you want to do is write lots of stuff, different stuff for different (as in, not only Muppets) places. It used to be that you could write a spec script for a sitcom and if it was good enough, you might get an agent who was interested in you. Frankly, I’m not sure if it works that way. I’ve never actually had an agent (nor have they had me). The other way is to shoot your own stuff – not with Muppet characters, but with your own creations. Well done bits, seen on Youtube are great calling cards (and no one has to read them, they can just sit back and watch. Hollywood is lazy; we don’t like to read.) As for the Muppet specifically: the Muppets (classic characters) are the property of the Walt Disney Co, and so decisions about what gets written and who writes it are made by the WD Co. The opportunities are few and yes, they tend to go with those who have experience. The Sesame Street Muppets are the property of Sesame Workshop and they operate and make decisions independently. The Jim Henson Company has many great productions going, and is still in the Fraggle business, but they are not doing Muppets.

Confused? Me too. All I can say is, keep writing. Get stuff made or make stuff for people to see. It seems impossible, but until you try you don’t know where you’ll end up.

3. From terriemonster: Hi, Jim.

My question isn't so much Muppet-related as it is writing-related. Is it ever too late to get into TV/film writing? Nine years ago, I had done PA work for a Comedy Central series, I was an intern at a major Hollywood production company, I had connections to the industry and I had a script reviewed by a studio pro. Then various things (I like to call them "life") happened, and the dream kind of faded. Now, I'm a 32-year-old software engineer, and most of my connections are weak at best. Is it too late now? Will it be too late in 5 years? If not, what do you suggest to get "back" into it?

Too late? Heck, I got socks older than you (and, unfortunately, I am wearing a pair right now). No, it’s not too late. I spent years writing for newspapers and magazines (this is before the days of the internet) and didn’t really get going on Muppet stuff until I was about your age. The fact that you have background with TV/Film related stuff is good. Connections, even old ones, help. Even more important is that you’ve written scripts in the past. See my answer above as to how to get back to it – writing scripts and making small productions that you can link to; that’s the way I’d go. If I had any real clout (or newer socks) I’d be able to give you specific contacts to try – but I think your best bet is to backtrack on those old contacts if any are still active. See what they recommend in terms of what to write as a sample of your work. Maybe you can write something based on your experience as a software engineer. Seriously. A fresh, unexpected perspective is the best way to get noticed.

From Duke Remington: 1) Jim, are you in any way involved in the writing for the upcoming Muppet movie?

First, you have to be a real fan to remember who Duke Remington is. Love it. Topo Sticky lives! Second, the script was written by Jason Segel and Nick Stoller.

2) Were you involved in any of the writing for the Movies.com series "Statler & Waldorf From the Balcony"?

Yes. I was one of three or four writers who helped put those together. I’d say more but I’ve misplaced those memories. Oh my goodness, I AM STATLER AND WALDORF!

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I have another one for you Jim if you can answer it (or want to)
What are the chances we could convince Disney to get the Muppets to do a version of "We are the World?"

Beauregard

Reaction score
Oooh! Ji Jim. Just popped by to say that I LOVED Statler and Waldorf: From the Balcony! Even though it's often overlooked. It had some great moments and I do sometimes wonder what the sage of twosome would have to say about some of the latest productions...Avatar, for example. Shame that series ended...