The Baker Falling Down the Stairs Series

mikealan

Reaction score
Here are my memories of this very old and classic clip made by Jim Henson:

It starts with the kids off-screen sing "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10." then backwards. Then any sponsored number flashes toward us and we get to see how many any number is. After that, it ends with the baker falling down the stairs and spills the number of desserts. After the baker fell, the kids off-screen would sing, "And that's the song of 1 (or 2, or 3, or 4, etc.)

I remembered seeing #2, #3, #4 and #7 and I listened to #6 in the middle of this year and the lyrics of #10 are on the Sesame Street Unpaved book, but they are not official.

I watched #2 and #3 on the Preimere episode, #7 on the 1980 episode at Central High School, and #4 on Sesame Street Unpaved#560 at the Museum of Television and Radio weeks ago. I also listened to #3 on Muppet Central Radio, too!

Here are the things I remembered (but I didn't recall #7) how many any number was.

2- ice cream cones, turtles, hats, heads, butterflies and today's dessert: chocolate cream pies

3- balls, peas, crocodilles, eggs, little pigs and today's dessert: birthday cakes

4- dolls, balloons, fish, wrenching toys, arms and today's dessert: root beer floats

6- chicks, squares, flying stuff (?), cats, cameras and today's dessert: strawberry shortcakes

Do you remember what desserts the baker is carrying and the things that are many any other number is? Please let me know!

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
8 - blocks, clocks, puppets, puppies, ping-pong balls, raspberry pudding desserts

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
Originally posted by mikealan
Here are my memories of this very old and classic clip made by Jim Henson:

It starts with the kids off-screen sing "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10." then backwards. Then any sponsored number flashes toward us and we get to see how many any number is. After that, it ends with the baker falling down the stairs and spills the number of desserts. After the baker fell, the kids off-screen would sing, "And that's the song of 1 (or 2, or 3, or 4, etc.)
that baker was none other than the one and only Jim Henson and that kid was none other than the one and only Brian Henson!

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
originally posted by punkNpuppets
that baker was none other than the one and only Jim Henson and that kid was none other than the one and only Brian Henson!
That one blonde boy, you mean.

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
that baker was none other than the one and only Jim Henson
Actually, you're wrong. It WASN'T Jim Henson, as many seem to believe. However, Jim did provide his voice, and Jim also appeared in the #3 segment as the guy juggling three balls...

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I definately remember they used lights from the one about number 9, because that was the one Rowlf the Dog did. (The only time I remember seeing him on the show) That's the only one I really remember.

mikealan

Reaction score
You've remembered everything 8 is, Boober Gorg! You're the best! And you too, Daffyfan, well, I think for #9, you only remembered Rowlf the Dog saying "9 lights!"

Speaking of 9, what else comes in nine and what dessert is the baker carrying?

AND, do you remember everything how many 1, 5, 7 and 10 are?

Well...for my thought of #10, I think it had...

10- toes, bowling pins, toys, bells, triangles and today's dessert: layer cakes

I've got pictures of #10, which some lyrics are mentioned on the Unpaved book.

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
I know 10 originally had "ten little Indians" instead of "ten bells", and the dessert was 10 CHOCOLATE layer cakes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
One could have been one wedding cake, but I'm not sure....

mikealan

Reaction score
Speaking of 1,

It had one bird (Little Bird), one button, one cow and one wedding cake. Was that shown on NOGGIN?