Telly appreciation thread

beaker

Reaction score
After having seen the direct to video compilation specials 'Computer Caper' and 'Alphabet Jungle'(albeit the latter had too many cartoons) I really have a new appreciation for Telly...so faras I would venture to say he is now one of my favorite all time Muppets.

There is a certain chemistry about him; his inquisitve, fun loving innocent manner that really stands out. And I love purple!
Also Zoe is growing on me, as is Elmo.

I havent been able to get in PBS for years, so these little home releases are my only window into modern Sesame.

But from what Ive seen, the Muppets on the street are better than ever. And gosh please, if they ever have a Muppetfest please let it inlcude a huge Sesame contingent:wink:

ssetta

Reaction score
So you can't get PBS? I see you're from Northern California. I actually had relatives who lived there at one time. They said when they lived there, they didn't have a PBS station in there area. Well, not without cable. They lived near Bakersfield, and I have been told the TV reception there is not very good. Is that where you live?

Gonzo

Reaction score
You would think Northern Cali would be the HEARTLAND of PBS.

I cannot join in the Telly Appreciation Thread. I especially can't join in with the sentiment that "he's one of the best Muppets ever." In MY ranking, he's right around the fortieth Best Muppets Ever. Or lower.

I liked him more when he teamed up with Oscar/was Oscar's whipping boy. I'm mean like that.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnn

roadrat15

Reaction score
"Oscar's Whipping Boy?" LOL! Seriously, It's taken a great many years but Telly has grown steadily on me. I like him a lot better than Baby Bear,Zoe or the little red menace.

beaker

Reaction score
Well growing up on 80's Sesame...I remember certain things stood out.

1) I really loved Telly. He seemed to have this really wide eyed optimism and innocence we all should aspire to have

2) I really disliked the cartoons and weird little live action shorts. I always couldnt wait til it got back to the Muppets. I guess I am one of the few that solely liked only the Muppet scenes.

3) It always remained smart writing, and a large part of my Muppet diet. The Muppets have always fostered creativity, friendship, love, and exploring...so while now we might see Sesame and Muppet Babies added a extra perception of 'Muppets as kiddy stuff', I believe they were some of the most important things in my life growing up.

I feel sad more Muppet fans dont like Sesame or Bear...I realize classic Muppet/Show and Fraggle Rock is always the top fan favorites, but I really feel Sesame and Bear Muppets are some of the best of the best personality wise.

And I really do think Telly, Baby Bear, Zoe, and sometimes even Elmo all work great. It's really unfortunate so many have written off Sesame on here, a shame...as that Elmopalooza dvd is one of the best Muppet things Ive seen in the last decade Muppet wise.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Cory,

Telly rocks!

He gets most of the funny one-liners on SS these days. His personality is a hoot. I often laugh out loud at his facial expressions and some of the "adult" (and I don't mean dirty) things he comes up with.

I love Telly and can say that he is my favorite character in heavy rotation right now (Bert just doesn't get on the Street anymore).

May I be Vice-President of your club?

(Also, we really like Zoe... SS needs more female Muppets)

beaker

Reaction score
Re: Cory,

Originally posted by FellowWLover
Telly rocks!

He gets most of the funny one-liners on SS these days. His personality is a hoot. I often laugh out loud at his facial expressions and some of the "adult" (and I don't mean dirty) things he comes up with.

I love Telly and can say that he is my favorite character in heavy rotation right now (Bert just doesn't get on the Street anymore).

May I be Vice-President of your club?

(Also, we really like Zoe... SS needs more female Muppets)
Thank you so much for your post Jess, you truly rock!
Indeed, Telly is filled with such personalioty and chemistry that works so well. Telly would be able to do well in a conversation with any Muppet...be it Muppet Show, Bear, Fraggle, etc. His sense of exploration, curiosity, and wonder is unparralled. And I really give high marks to Zoe...her and Telly are perhaps my favorited denizens of the Street, along with Oscar. And I think the Muppets all around need more female Muppets and performers!
And yes, you may be vice prez of the Telly Appreciation Club! hehe

I think weve let the good name of Sesame Street be stepped on too many times by the classic TMS hardliners...time to reclaim the street!

Ryan

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed Telly's ridiculously large nose in "Elmo's World: Happy Holidays!" ?

StreetScenes

Reaction score
a bump for this thread is LONG overdue, as it seems we haven't appreciated Telly in over 6 years...so a few thoughts on Telly, who is so often underrated, on screen and off.

1) Telly has the potential to bring fans of all ages together, as he is old enough to be a solidly classic character, but enough of a star in today's shows that kids know him too

2) Telly has such a broad range of emotions he's one of the most complex characters on the show, and one of the easiest to identify with, too. not to mention, he's funny.

3) anyone who was at the 40th anniversary event knows Telly stole the show. which speaks both to his long-term character development and Marty's improv skill.

4) question: when did his triangle obsession begin? i don't remember him liking triangles in the late 80s, but my brother remembers it from the early 90s. does anyone know if it was intended to become an obsession, or whether it grew organically? was there a first telly-triangle skit?

does anybody else out there love Telly? what characters does he have the best dynamic with? what are Telly's best moments?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well Telly and Elmo had a lot of Good chemistry When Marty took over and also, Oscar have a really famous relationship that goes way back. Also His best friend Baby Bear work so well together and have some of the best chemistry and funniest improve of any of he duo's on the show.

But, he really was one of the best things to happen to this show and one of the best addition to the show as well! And Marty just really grew the character and made him what he is!