Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
DAGNABBIT! You know what's worse than hearing about something awful happening in the new TMNT movie? hearing something awesome happening in the new TMNT movie.

Will Arnet is perfectly cast as Vernon.

Okay, short guy with thick Brooklyn Accent playing Splinter... fail

Megan Fox as April... no thanks...

White Guy Shredder who's character isn't even of Japanese origin? REALLY?!

But Will Arnet as Vernon? That's much worse than making me not want to see this movie. it makes me want to actually see this movie!

mr3urious

Reaction score
Well, D'Snowth, it looks like there's another good reason to be afraid of squirrels now thanks to the most recent episode. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
This marks the second time the TMNT had to fight Expys of the aliens from Alien.

In case anyone wants to know, the fist ones were the Mutant Pizza Monsters from the old cartoon series.

These squirrels even had the mouth on the tongues.

tutter_fan

Reaction score
I think Mikey is more of a weirdo than Donatello! (Actually, now that I think about it, both are weirdos!

Drtooth

Reaction score
This baffles me.

I'm very glad Nick knows there's a market for classic TMNT merchandising for all ages. The FUNKO POP figures are amazing....even though I have yet to get any of those or the Muppet or the Adventure Time... suffice to say I only have Edna Mode and got her on clearance. But anyway, there is one piece of merchandise I just don't get.

You know those Dreamlight things that are plush toys with nightlights built in? They have all 4 1980's cartoon style Turtles. They chose the version of the characters that appeal to 20-30 somethings over the series that kids of the age who would even care about nightlight infused plush toys are currently watching. Weird. Also...eh... I kinda wish they had some 2k3 retro merchandising. At least on T-shirts.

Oh, and guess what? We're going to have a re-do of Turtles Forever. There's an upcoming episode where the current Nicktoon Turtles somehow meet the 1980's cartoon versions of themselves. I wonder if they're going to just do a CGI recreation of those guys or something. At least this time, no union stuff is going to get in the way of getting the original cast back. At the very least, they have Rob as Donatello currently, so he's guaranteed in.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh, and guess what? We're going to have a re-do of Turtles Forever. There's an upcoming episode where the current Nicktoon Turtles somehow meet the 1980's cartoon versions of themselves. I wonder if they're going to just do a CGI recreation of those guys or something. At least this time, no union stuff is going to get in the way of getting the original cast back. At the very least, they have Rob as Donatello currently, so he's guaranteed in.
Wait really? Wow, I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Don't exactly know when it's going to go down, though. They mentioned it at the New York Comic Con.
Reading the article again, it's clearly more of a cutscene gag and not a full episode, like when Ultimate Spider-Man had a couple 10 second shots in Marvel Super-Hero Squad in one episode (Sony's rights to the cartoon, well after Spectacular Spider-Man was cancelled, prevented Spidey from every showing up, despite being in the toy line). Kinda disappointing it's not a full episode. But then again, it wouldn't be the first direct reference to the old cartoon series in this one. Mikey did want a Tattoo of his face on his face that one time.

But I'm pretty excited that Casey Jones is coming soon. he's in the new theme song if you look hard enough.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'd like to see Irma make a return, too. Her name did appear on April's cell phone list, hinting at one.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As long as Irma isn't half as bad as she was in the old series.

I've always said, April in all continuities is a positive female role model... Irma is the worst possible female role model for girls in a children's cartoon series. The boy craziness to the point where she makes bad choices and inability to hold a single boyfriend down kinda leaves a lot of room for very negative character interpretation. At best, she seems like a very negative, bad caricature of Rhoda (someone's a Mary Tyler Moore fan...April being Mary, Vernon being Ted, and Burns being Lou).

But they did manage to make a reporter April joke in the IDW adaption of the new cartoon. Second issue, during a chaotic scene, April grabs a microphone out of the reporter's hand as a distraction and says "This is April O'Neil of Channel 6 News."

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've always said, April in all continuities is a positive female role model... Irma is the worst possible female role model for girls in a children's cartoon series. The boy craziness to the point where she makes bad choices and inability to hold a single boyfriend down kinda leaves a lot of room for very negative character interpretation.
Not every female character has to be a great role model. You need characters who have quirks and weaknesses and serve as comic relief. Irma isn't the lead character, she's the goofy friend to the lead (April).

This is why there aren't too many interesting female characters, because everyone thinks they have to be portrayed as near perfect because "little girls need role models." Little girls need entertaining characters, the same way boys do.