Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread

Hayley B

Reaction score
Just looked at the calendar. It will be on a Friday. That's why 7pm.

Drtooth

Reaction score
*&^%@!!! Michael Bay is still looking to destroy the TMNT any way possible. The movie is apparently still going into production, and worse... guess who's being cast as April O'Neil. Everyone's least favorite actress, Megan Fox.

At this point, I can only say that Michael Bay is a troll. he purposely wants everyone to hate his movies because he gets the thrill of being a complete and utter waste of human life.

And the sad thing is, Nick has been doing great by TMNT otherwise. The toy line is stronger than ever. You can't find a single turtle on store shelves. The cartoon is epic, we're getting a new video game for adult fans, and the IDW comic book continues to be excellent. Why the shell aren't they taking this movie away from his hands and giving it to someone capable?

Zoot Fan 1981

Reaction score
I like the old toys and cartoon better. The new stuff is ok though. I guess I like the old figures because I grew up on them.
The old ones are usually the best ones. I still have my old Ninja Turtles action figures from my childhood.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I find the old figures a joke.

They don't look a thing like the characters (I think that's supposed to be par for the course with 1980's cartoons... He-Man figures didn't look a thing like the cartoons either). Those idiotic plastic model type weapons (I'm so disappointed they made a come back)... if you didn't have a nail clipper, you could cut yourself up pretty nasty on those little jagged edges. Then, when the popularity was starting to wind down, they turned the line into Monster in My Pocket/Garbage Pail Kids levels of stupid mutants, while a LOT of characters from the TV show who were worth making toys of were left out (at least they made the Neutrinos in the Toon line). Not to mention how losable the belts (which didn't even look like the belts from the cartoon series) were. The 2k3 line at least made it nigh on impossible to take them off. Sure, it could be done if you tried very very hard.

The sad thing is, the best TMNT figures were of everyone's least favorite series, Fast Forward. Yikes... show accurate sculpts in perfect scale with each other?! Such a thing has never happened before. The FF Splinter gave the pathetic looking 2k3 Splinter a real run for his money. Yet, there were some genuinely good things in the 2k3 line. A removable mask Shredder and Casey Jones. Some of the toys were show accurate. it almost would have been a great line if Playmates didn't spoil it with terrible character variants. And the one actually accurate variant of the Turtles was impossible to find (the Mystic Ninja whatevers... they had awesome face sculpts).

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Say what you want about the quality of the old figures, Tooth, I still loved 'em. My favorite was my Dracula Donatello. Still, the toy line got pretty out of hand at one point, to the point where they completely ran out of ideas and had (no joke) the Turtles as farmers. But some of the lines were pretty cool, like the Universal Monsters line and the Star Trek line.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The toys were fair for their day. We've just had leaps and bounds in advancements since then. Some of the variants were pretty fun (the Universal Monsters and Star Trek lines especially)... but then when you have Mikey as a disgruntled party clown, that's kinda what were they thinking territory.

Not that the 2k3 didn't have idiotic variants as well. Some they actually had to shove into the show (the Prehistoric line for example... they were at the end of one episode for like 2 minutes... didn't even look the same).

I honestly can't wait to see how they screw up the Nick TMNT line. They already have the variant Turtles... they throw goo. That's what every parent in America really wants. Carpet and fabric destroying action figures. :rolleyes: The regular figures only look slightly like them, and they brought the model style accessories back. I don't have one yet, though.

But really... those Fast Forward toys were amazing. It's a shame Playmates made that line take a dive... especially after they forced the show to be revamped in the first place. All for those lousy movie toys. Actually... that's the one thing the old line has over the second generation one. The movie toys were part of the regular assortment.

Zoot Fan 1981

Reaction score
Say what you want about the quality of the old figures, Tooth, I still loved 'em. My favorite was my Dracula Donatello. Still, the toy line got pretty out of hand at one point, to the point where they completely ran out of ideas and had (no joke) the Turtles as farmers. But some of the lines were pretty cool, like the Universal Monsters line and the Star Trek line.
I just had to laugh at the Ninja Turtles as farmers. I couldn't imagine a ninja turtle being a farmer. That's hilarious!

Zoot Fan 1981

Reaction score
My most favorite turtles were the movie star turtles that came out in the early 90s. I played with those more than the others I had. I also collected a lot of the Ninja Turtle cards from the first movie :cool:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Movie based ones were the best TMNT toys they had at the time. They actually looked like what they were supposed to be. And I liked the soft, rubbery plastic of those movie turtles better than the hard, shiny plastic of the regular Turtles.

I just never liked how when they finally came out with Turtles that looked like a rough approximation of the cartoon show, they had to give them Tex Avery-esque action features. And NO articulation. They have new TMNT action Figures that are supposed to look like the classic cartoon, and they do... just they look like how they do in the opening, and the first season animated by Toei, specifically... and they're large and 20 bucks and essentially statues.

Zoot Fan 1981

Reaction score
The Movie based ones were the best TMNT toys they had at the time. They actually looked like what they were supposed to be. And I liked the soft, rubbery plastic of those movie turtles better than the hard, shiny plastic of the regular Turtles.

I just never liked how when they finally came out with Turtles that looked like a rough approximation of the cartoon show, they had to give them Tex Avery-esque action features. And NO articulation. They have new TMNT action Figures that are supposed to look like the classic cartoon, and they do... just they look like how they do in the opening, and the first season animated by Toei, specifically... and they're large and 20 bucks and essentially statues.
I have a giant movie star Leonardo somewhere in my house. When I find him, I'll post a pic. Those don't move like the smaller ones and they are made of plastic, not rubber.