Take this Job and...

superfan

Reaction score
and continuing with everyone else...

redBoobergurl:
*My friend got her degree in communications too. She's a receptionist at an orthodics company. :smirk: wierd.

Crazymnyhaha:
*Ageed 100% on the fast food thing. I worked at Tim Horton's (coffee shop) and Great Canadian Bagel. The pay sucks, but you know what...you learn to be a better customer to food service people. People who need their coffee in the morning...DEFINATELY need their coffee. And you work at a bank now? Cool. Better than McDonald's!!

JaniceFerSure:
*For some reason, working in a warehouse always appealed to me. But do you do more manual labor than anything or are you involved with other aspects to the job? And oh, I can just imagine how dry your hands get, too.

Crazyminnyhaha

Reaction score
superfan said:
Crazymnyhaha:
*Ageed 100% on the fast food thing. I worked at Tim Horton's (coffee shop) and Great Canadian Bagel. The pay sucks, but you know what...you learn to be a better customer to food service people. People who need their coffee in the morning...DEFINATELY need their coffee. And you work at a bank now? Cool. Better than McDonald's!!
When I go to fast food places like McDonalds or Starbucks I know what the people behind the counter are going throu. I try to be as nice as possible to them and my order quick. And I always do it with a smile :smile:

And as for the bank, Another thing I like about it is that since im not dealing with customers face to face I can wear Jeans and sneakers as long as there not ripped or faded. And a clean shirt or sweater no graphics on them. Cause the companies that we do buisness with do come to our site for a tour.

superfan

Reaction score
It's so funny how dress code varies from place to place. In my last job, we had to wear black pants and a black or white shirt. AT A DAYCARE! We had a professional pic of us taken and we looked like waiters at a banquet hall! My new job is far more casual: case in point: the director of the center wears a mini skirt and high heels (on the playground)! Crazy woman!

peachesncream

Reaction score
i fell the sympathy with the mcdonald's thing. i worked at jimmy buffett's margaritaville for two years which felt like 40 years.working in the french quater was good and i made about $350-500 a night but we would blow it all at the bar across the street.i was also exposed to a lot of things little catholic school girls don't know. as a matter of fact our mardi gras menu meeting consisted of keep your money in your pocket and not in your nose. the year we had the super bowl and super bowl in the same week i would work from 8am to 3am for two weeks straight. no breaks or food. long grueling hours and the gm was huge butt head. pretty sure jimmy had NO clue what was going on there. it's been about two years since i left and apparently corporate has taken over and ut's a better place to be.love jimmy and he's a wonder man but god do i had that dang song. every 40 fricking minutes.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
I is a Cosmetologist, aka a hairdressor, but I also do pedi's and mani's and facials

I Like working with people, you be suprised what people will tell their stylist! :excited:

I DONT like Hilights, you know, like blonde streaks in the hair, its so... tedious :stick_out_tongue:

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
I'm a News Monitor. I watch newscasts and syndicated/entertainment programs all across the US, and type up summaries of each segment.

The good:

• I can sleep till 4 or 5 p.m., get home at 2:30 or 3 a.m.
  • No traffic on the way home at all
  • No crowds in Wal-Mart when I do my bi-weekly shoppin' at 3 a.m.
  • I can wear whatever I want (casual to the max)
  • The Co. is very relaxes and flexibile on vacation time, day swaps, etc.
  • I get my birthday off, and 2 "floating holidays" ("freebie days")
  • I get paid to watch MTV's "Total Request Live", "SportsCenter", "Oprah After the Show", "Arizona Midday", "Life and Times Tonight", "What Not To Wear", "Weekends at the D.L.", "Access Hollywood", "Jimmy Kimmel Live", "CMT Insider", and "Speed News" weekly, and sometimes other entertainment shows that I pick up that are leftover on the table
  • With the awful news I have to watch, I can speed up the speed so I don't have to suffer through the bad news in "real time"
  • I have Mondays and Tuesdays off, so I can do things that most M-F people can't on their days off (oil changes, doctor's appointments, etc.)
  • I can go to places like the zoo, parks, malls, on my days off and there aren't crowds of people or little unruly children everywhere
  • I can work as much overtime as I want for more $, and I put in 10 1/2 to 11 hours in on Fridays since that's my day with my highest number of "fun shows" to do
The bad:

• My hands and wrists sometimes really hurt from all the typing
  • Body cramps and "blah-ness" from sitting sedentary all day
  • Working nights has gotten old, social life-wise
  • I have to watch news in San Francisco, L.A., Chicago, Dallas, Phoenix, Detroit, Denver, Indianapolis, Northwest Cable News, Studio B (world news), and I don't get paid nearly enough for the horrors, tragedies, and inhumanity I see day in and day out
  • On my days off it's tough to get up before 3 p.m. to do anything out in the world
  • My parents paid for my college and I'm barely usin' my degree
  • I don't really get to be creative
  • I love to work on my writing at home, but it's hard a lotta the time cause I type so dang much at work
  • I don't play piano nearly as much as I used to due to my non-stop typing at work
  • I'm stuck with headphones on my ears every minute I'm workin' cause that's how we hear the shows through the computer (while we watch 'em onscreen)---so it's very isolated and you can't talk or joke around much due to the nature of the job
  • I hate it on the weekends when other people grab the "funnest" shows before I get a chance---especially if I get stuck with more crappy news
  • I feel like a cog in a factory wheel---about 60 people do what I do on my shift alone, not to mention the other shifts; and what I do doesn't really make a difference to anybody
  • When I get down and depressed, I unfortunately remember the brief 3 months after college when I was a Technical Writer and got paid nearly $17 an hour and got paid to read, surf the 'net, and talk with other people since the people there barely had any work for me to do (which is why I was laid-off...there were budget cuts and they realized they didn't need a Techincal Writer)...man, was I spoiled...*sigh*...
But the bad outweighs the good simply for the fact of all the newscasts I have to watch (and some multiple...I do 2 Chicagos Wed. and Thurs., 2 Detroits on Fri., 2 San Franciscos on Sunday, etc.) :smirk:

I am so ready for a job change...more than a job change, I'm ready for a career (besides writing, which takes time). As a matter of fact, I had a 3 1/2 hour meeting with a P.I. in a restaurant last night (always been interested in private investigating) and he gave me a LOT to think about...certainly an option...

:excited: BYRON!!!!!! I MISSED YOU!!!!! :excited:

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
jobs..basic resume

I do manual labor at my job Superfan.I stand next to a belt line: flipping & scanning the books,stacking boxes and pushing the boxes down the line(so each box 20 to 50 pounds stacked,that's a lot of weight).Then I go to the back of the warehouse and my group and I count all the boxes for each club(60 clubs on Monday and Tuesday,30 clubs on Wednesday).Each club ranges from 40 to 100+ boxes each.We mostly handle the BJs Warehouses on the east coast states.The building I work for AMS,also ships books to SAMs Club and Costco.

I brought in some Johnson's baby lotion to work,everybody uses it,that deals with the dry hands you've mentioned.

I love working in the warehouse.It's such an out-of-the-way place,on a side road.Like I mentioned in other threads,it's opposite the runways of BWI airport;so I get to watch the planes take off and land,something I've always enjoyed doing as a kid.

I've also worked for:
  • KFC-first job,cleaning tables and sweeping the floor
  • McDonald's-cleaning tables,sweeping floor,grill work(flipping burgers)
  • Waxie Maxie's-music store
  • Suncoast Video-video store
  • Valley Centre 9 Movie Theater-selling tickets,ushering,ticket taker,consession vendor(yes,I got to see free movies,lol)
  • Ames Dept. Store-retail
  • Dutch Rupersburger-filing clerk
  • Blue Cross-filing claims
  • Weis Supermarket-bakery(baking breads,sweets,cakes,donut frying,cake decorating)

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Crazyminnyhaha said:
I use to work at McDonalds. ...her husband use to bring cold cuts in for us, even thou we got free food from McDonalds.
Lol! Oh, man; people always used to tell me who worked at fast food places to never eat the food. This makes me NEVER want to eat there again if you guys are bringing in outside food! Lol! As a secret service man once stated: "If you can't trust the cook, who can you trust?"
JaniceFerSure said:
I work for BJs Warehouse,shipping books.I've been there almost a year and a half.
Hey, I used to work at B.J.'s too! I started as a stock boy from 2 to 9 a.m.. and eventually became a cahier. That was single handedly the worst job I ever had. I hated it there, but I sure am glad to see you have a nice list of "pros".