Storyteller Greek Myths DVD coming September 7

doctort13

Reaction score
Let's hope that the Greek Myths are released as a seperate DVD, and not repackaged with the original DVD.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
I rember seeing Greek Myths on HBO along w/ The Storyteller when I was about five and six. :excited: :smirk:

dbarrie

Reaction score
This story is no longer just a rumour. TVShowsOnDVD, a very reliable and trusted site, makes the news official today that Greek Myths will get released as a single DVD package on September 7.

The news release is below. The coverart can be viewed at www.tvshowsondvd.com.

News Release:

Jim Henson's The Storyteller: Greek Myths (mini-series) - The Rest of the Story is Told: Greek Myths Announced!
Posted by David Lambert 6/28/2004

Last Thursday a major online DVD seller, DVDEmpire.com, set up a pre-order listing for Jim Henson's The Storyteller: Greek Myths - The Complete Collection, and we passed along the details to our readers.

This morning the studio, Columbia TriStar, has announced the title formally. While they didn't provide any new info about the release, they did verify the Sept. 7 street date, and the $19.94 list price. However, Columbia's information shows a 94-minute running time, which is less than what DVDEmpire represented. We'll trust the studio on that piece of info.

Columbia also provided the cover art for us (see Web site):

Stay tuned, and if we get any more details about this release later on, we'll be sure to bring them to you!

Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1785

Muppet Crypts

Reaction score
This morning the studio, Columbia TriStar, has announced the title formally. While they didn't provide any new info about the release, they did verify the Sept. 7 street date, and the $19.94 list price. However, Columbia's information shows a 94-minute running time, which is less than what DVDEmpire represented. We'll trust the studio on that piece of info.
well i wanted it under 19.95 :stick_out_tongue:

Muppet Crypts

Reaction score
Jim Henson's The Storyteller: Greek Myths (mini-series) - More details: episode information
Posted by David Lambert
6/29/2004

Following up on yesterday's announcement, Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment has now provided more details about their upcoming release of Jim Henson's The Storyteller: Greek Myths - The Complete Collection. Here are the episode descriptions they sent us:

This imaginative series, comprised of all four episodes, features both human actors and creations from Jim Henson's Creature Shop in this retelling of classic greek mythology.

DAEDALUS AND ICARUS: Daedalus, one of the greatest inventors of ancient Greece, and his son Icarus are betrayed by cruel King Minos and must flee for their lives. To escape Daedalus creates wings to they can fly to safety but will the young Icarus heed his father's instructions or will their dreams melt away.

ORPHEUS AND EURYDICE: The great musician Orpheus vows to bring back the soul of his beloved Eurydice from the depths of Hades. But the task he must complete to reunite with his love turns out to be as tortuous as the fate he will have to endure.

PERSEUS AND THE GORGON: When the evil king threatens Perseus' mother, he must bring back the head of Medussa - who's stare will turn anyone who looks upon her to stone. Will the help of the gods be enough to aid in this seemingly impossible task?

THESEUS AND THE MINATAUR: With the help of a beautiful princess, Theseus tracks down the man-eating Minotaur, half-man, half-bull to prove his courage and loyalty. A fight to the death ensues, and a shocking secret emerges.

The studio says these will be presented on DVD in a full-screen presentation with stereo sound. The running time of 94 minutes has been confirmed, and don't forget that the price is $19.94 SRP for this September 7th release.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
There were only 4 episodes in that series?? Wow, that's a shorter life span than Muppets Tonight on ABC!!

sheesh

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first ever post so if it comes up in the wrong bit or doesn't make sense then my apologies but i plan to 'practise' and post when i get the time. Anyhew even though im from the uk i think i only ever saw one or two of them and it is great news if it does get a dvd release! speaking of possible future releases does anyone know of any plans for any sort of muppets tonight release?
wahey- i did it!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Sheesh, and velcome to the vonderful vorld of Muppet Central's forums. Wouldn't know if there are any plans for MT on DVD, all we can do is cross our fingers and hope for some day it'll see the light of day.
Personally, I'll probably pick up two copies of this release: one for myself, and another as a present for my university's Classical Greco-Roman Mythology professor. I know he asked once if anyone had them recorded to show in class, but sadly noone did. This way, he'll be able to show them along with the recent NBC movies.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hiya, Sheesh! Go introduce yourself in this thread:
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=2294

Glad to have you around! I haven't heard anything about a Muppets Tonight release, but a full series would be cool. You might be able to create a trade with someone. I did that for the series on video tape.

I'm looking forward to this DVD!

dbarrie

Reaction score
This is exciting news, and I also can't wait to get this DVD. I know very little about this second Storyteller series, and I've got some questions about it.

Was "Greek Myths" made before or after Jim died? Why was Michael Gambon cast as the storyteller instead of John Hurt? Why was this series initially only broadcast in the UK? Why did somebody describe "Greek Myths" as being of a lesser quality than the original "Storyteller" series? And why were only 4 episodes made?

OI MuppetFan

Fozzie Bear said:
There were only 4 episodes in that series?? Wow, that's a shorter life span than Muppets Tonight on ABC!!