Steve Whitmire on The MuppetCast

Luke

Reaction score
Obviously Steve is a legend, so i didn't expect anything less of a fantastic interview but wow, he isn't just a puppeteer ... hes completely into all the philosophy and psychology behind his characters. It just shows how much he cares about what he's doing. What a fantastic guy, and he's not afraid to say what he thinks about the corporate side either.

I too am glad he addressed the Fake Kermit issue, and i'm glad its behind them and i can understand why Disney higher up's maybe needed to see for themselves why they retain the Muppeteers rather than have any Joe Schmoe come in and do it on the cheap, but i'm still quite miffed as to why exactly they needed to try that on two prime time live TV events at a time when the Muppets really needed to be at their best to help show the millions watching they were back. It was pure madness!

dwmckim

Reaction score
I don't get much of a chance to listen to the Muppetcast since i can only do so at the library and the long length of the shows combined with my limited time to do everything else means not much Muppetcast listening for me (and it seems like the idea of putting it out on cd never went anywhere) so i'm curious if Steve mentions anything about the Postcards for Steve fans sent him around that time?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Nothing about Postcards for Steve, but he mentions Muppet Central and Tough Pigs to talk about the fans briefly.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I don't get much of a chance to listen to the Muppetcast since i can only do so at the library and the long length of the shows combined with my limited time to do everything else means not much Muppetcast listening for me (and it seems like the idea of putting it out on cd never went anywhere) so i'm curious if Steve mentions anything about the Postcards for Steve fans sent him around that time?
I don't think he mentioned that. It's clear that Disney figured out that the performers aren't replaceable in such circumstances and that it took that instance for them to figure it out. I think the fan voices helped (even though it wasn't specified). Every bit of support in that instance was likely important. Steve sounded very humble and acknowledged that Disney owns the Muppets and is entitled to do what they will with them, but that he believes each character should have one singular performer. That seems to be happening now with a firm casting of Richard and Jerry’s characters.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I can't say enough how much I ADORE this interview. My goodness... What a fun, fun hour of just sitting and listening to Steve talk. He is SO darn knowledgeable and SUCH a great guy. I love that man and I love how much he loves the Muppets. :smile:

I think my favorite part was his discussion of Rizzo. "I just can't stand da feathers..." :shifty: Brilliant!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Oh! This is amazing! Steve is one of most intelligent, articulate people I've ever heard interviewed! His explanation about business and creativity is AMAZING. His discussion of the Muppets appearing in Disney World is stunning. He seems so gracious and wise and funny!