Steve Whitmire on The MuppetCast

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
The long-awaited interview with the one and only Steve Whitmire is now up and online! The latest episode, Show #147 of The MuppetCast, features Steve Whitmire in person talking about everything from the old days to Bohemian Rhapsody. He was a wonderful guest, and I hope we get to talk again sometime soon. Enjoy the interview!

You can find the mp3 in iTunes and right here at the main website:
http://muppetcast.com/WordPress/archives/489

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Brilliant Steve, absolutely brilliant! ! ! ! What a totally charming gentleman in a fantastic interview - what a scoop! Many MANY thanks!

Stuart

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
I'm loving it too. I'd love to hear Part Two sooner rather than later, Steve is just quite awesome and I loved the insight on Beaker's character and why Beaker has been on so many of the viral videos! :eek:

BJ

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Great show tonight, Steve!

It was really cool to hear all those insights into the world of the Muppets, and puppetry in general, from Steve himself. And you guys are right - there's going to have to be a part 2.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I'm so glad he talked about the whole America's got talent stuff. There was a lot more that could have been said but he handled it very nicely i think.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Half way through it. I'll get to the last 30 minutes tomorrow. What a treat. I'll make a point to listen to the cast more often.

Very interesting facts about his beginning with the Muppets, Jim Henson and character development. I'm so glad he gracefully addressed the Talent and Gaga appearances. As fans we appreciate everyone involved with the Muppets - headliners and up-and-comers. However it's important that Disney recognize the value of the Muppets goes to the core of the character and performer. They're not just empty shells or costumed icons. Maybe Disney heard our pleas, maybe they figured it out on their own, but it seems we don't need to worry anymore. They've got Steve and he is the frog!

I think now is the time for the classic characters to return strong as ever and they should help usher in new characters performed by new generations of Muppet performers. That's the key to the Muppets' survival. It's good to hear how attentive Steve is to the brand and how realistic he is about everything. His generosity of teaching the park performers speaks volumes. I can't imagine a more pragmatic performer. A perfect fit for Kermit.

And thank frog for Bohemian Rhapsody. I didn't know just how important that was to keep the ball rolling! Can't wait to give the rest of the podcast my undivided attention. Between this and the Muppet Mindset - it's a good week to be a Muppet fan!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Yes a very good week indeed and then the whole drama we had when we almost lost the newsflash, and got it back was also really good.

Reaction score
Muppets as Real Characters

With both last week's and this week's podcast I got a kick out of the discussion of the muppets as 3-dimensional characters. Thought it was especially appropriate given my experience with a Steve Whitmire character, Sprocket.

I vividly remember being 5 years old and having a disagreement with my mother. I agreed that yes, of course the fraggles were muppets, but insisted that Sprocket was a real dog. I have a soft spot for Toronto because part of me is still convinced that's the place where the fraggles live.

Also kept thinking of the interviewer who later apologized for poor sound quality because he kept putting the microphone up to Kermit instead of Jim Henson.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Good interview, though I wish there would have been a bit of discussion on his days on The Muppet Show (and especially his character Lips), Fraggle Rock, The Jim Henson Hour, and other productions. I enjoyed hearing him talk about the more recent productions and the recasting of characters, but feel like the majority of the interview was about characterization.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
A GREAT interview! Really loved it! Hope to hear more from him in the future.

As frogboy said, 'tis a good week to be a Muppet fan.