Square One Television

camillachick

Reaction score
Yes I'm here to chat about that CTW show called Square One TV. It was a show that made math fun and I have fond memories of it. I did a search here and found several people remember it. I've also been browsing the square one tv website and forum for info on the show. That forum seems to be a lot smaller than ours being much more of a focused topic. Since I'm already a member here, I'll put my questions. Anyone remember specific skits from the show? I have many full memories and some incomplete ones. I vaguely remember a skit about knights throwing a party and trying to set up the tables so no one's back is to the queen. There was another about guys in space with an annying computer so they give it a math problem to solve that never ends. And some kind of spoof on the Adams Family. Tish, I love it when you talk math! I've got lots more which I will share if the interest is there.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I remember the show very vaguely. I can't recall anything specific about it.
Erin

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i rememeber the show. i was definitely past the target age but still watched it. though don't rememeber as much of it as other shows. it sort of was like The Electric Company though it was a mathshow. the format seemed similler in both shows unlike SS wich had a setting Squ. 1 and TEC didn't and were more like variety shows and the skits on Squ. 1 were goofy and funny like TEC's. here's some other links to the shows as well as their offical page. http://home.comcast.net/~nspil/sq1.htm

Klonoa

Reaction score
The only two things I remember about it was MathNet and a Pac-Man parody called Math Man. Math Man would have to run around a maze eating the right equation or a grumbling purple tornado would eat him.

--Klonoa
I hate math.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Here's what IMDB says about Square One:

In this sketch comedy series for preteens, principles of mathematics are presented through parody and music videos. Also featured is a mock video game called "Mathman," the bumbling cartoon detective Dirk Niblick, and a farcical serial called "Mathnet." In "Mathnet" (a parody of "Dragnet") Los Angeles detectives George Frankly and Kate Monday (and later Pat Tuesday) solve various capers with the help of mathematics.

I vaguely remember the show,I remember isn't wasn't on very long.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I remember this show I don't know why because I really hate maths, Ive never been any good at it always have been very bad at it!

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I've always loved math,especially basic math.Could never do algebra or higher math though. :smile:

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I remember this show very well! When I was in elementary school every Friday we used to watch taped episodes of it.

camillachick

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the skits I mentioned are about? As I said most of my memories are very clear, but a few are incomplete. The ones in my original post are still fuzzy.

Here are some of the ones I know well:
Mathman was a football helmet with feet who had to eat numbers with certain properties in each game. Some times prime numbers, sometimes numbers larger than one half ect. When he lost Mr. Glitch chased him around and ate him. My sister and I thought this part was hilarious.

There was a sketch called Cabot and Marshmellow, (Abbot and Costello parody) in which the two talk about the area of wooden candy bars.

Dirk Niblick of the math brigade used to help his friends defeat math criminals. Once he got a nautilus shell stuck on his nose trying to smell the ocean. At the end of each episode he always got a phone call from his mommy.

One other was a song in music video style about a guy giving away his love in percents to all the things in his life. It was called 8% of my love.

I could go on and on and on and on and on... but hey, that's infinity!