Speculation: Sesame Street 45th Anniversary Possibilities

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I really hope there's some sort of surprise out there for collectors or something. Seems like an awful waste to not get anything except a sound gimmicky book that only 3 year olds would like. As if they care how old the show is.

Kinda wish Hasbro would release some older characters in the buddy packs at least.
Seriously! Unless they really are trying to surprise us with something special, we probably would have known by now what kind of 45th anniversary memorabilia we'd be getting in addition to that one lousy book! Yeah, it would be cool if Hasbro could release figurines of some older characters.

PBS should show all the seasons of Sesame Street again.
That's probably not gonna happen anytime soon. As you might remember, the older episodes may not suit the needs of today's preschool child. Plus, Seasons 1 and 3-29 had 130 episodes for each season, and Season 2 had 145 episodes. Children today won't be interested in the older seasons, unless they haven't seen the current seasons yet.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Seriously! Unless they really are trying to surprise us with something special, we probably would have known by now what kind of 45th anniversary memorabilia we'd be getting in addition to that one lousy book!

You know, if there is going to be a DVD release celebrating the anniversary, it'd make sense that we don't know yet. Since Warner Home Video got the video rights, new releases have typically only been announced two months in advance. That even applies to collectors releases like Old School Vol. 3 and Best of Sesame Street Spoofs!

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
You know, if there is going to be a DVD release celebrating the anniversary, it'd make sense that we don't know yet. Since Warner Home Video got the video rights, new releases have typically only been announced two months in advance. That even applies to collectors releases like Old School Vol. 3 and Best of Sesame Street Spoofs!
That's true. You're absolutely right.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seriously! Unless they really are trying to surprise us with something special, we probably would have known by now what kind of 45th anniversary memorabilia we'd be getting in addition to that one lousy book! Yeah, it would be cool if Hasbro could release figurines of some older characters.
Considering that SW can stand to benefit on merchandising, why not have more of it instead of a sea of Elmo books? I'm glad that the merchandise has more of an even handed focus over Non-Elmo characters, though. But it's a prime opportunity (no Hasbro related pun intended) for some older, collector skewed merch. I'm actually shocked there hasn't been a Funko Pop Sesame line yet, classic characters or otherwise.

But if all that stands with the 45th anniversary is a third time rerelease of a sound gimmick book for 3 year olds, that is nothing short of disappointing. I'm sure they have something up their sleeves, but if they don't, it's a lost opportunity.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Considering that SW can stand to benefit on merchandising, why not have more of it instead of a sea of Elmo books? I'm glad that the merchandise has more of an even handed focus over Non-Elmo characters, though. But it's a prime opportunity (no Hasbro related pun intended) for some older, collector skewed merch. I'm actually shocked there hasn't been a Funko Pop Sesame line yet, classic characters or otherwise.

But if all that stands with the 45th anniversary is a third time rerelease of a sound gimmick book for 3 year olds, that is nothing short of disappointing. I'm sure they have something up their sleeves, but if they don't, it's a lost opportunity.
It would be great if DK would put out a Sesame Street Character Encyclopedia, though when interviewed on Tough Pigs Craig Shemin speculated that it wouldn't be too likely because DK is an England-based company and Sesame Street isn't as big over there.

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
They should make a box-set with 5-10 episodes that people have been dying to see or really like such as the first appearance of Elmo, Telly, the Star Wars episode, the one with Mr. Rogers, Maria and Luis getting married, etc.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
It would be great if DK would put out a Sesame Street Character Encyclopedia, though when interviewed on Tough Pigs Craig Shemin speculated that it wouldn't be too likely because DK is an England-based company and Sesame Street isn't as big over there.
What a pity. It would have been way cool if a Sesame Street Character Encyclopedia was made.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Another great DVD concept would be one of 45 segments from the show, one per season.

But an idea I'd rather have would be a "45 Great Classic Clips" release (and maybe another release of 45 clips from seasons 25-2008, and one of 45 HD-produced clips).

For a "45 Classic Clips" release, Id represent seasons 1-24 with 1-3 clips from each season (mainly two per season).

A rundown:
  • Season 1: Rubber Duckie (the real original from season one), Jazz #5, Henson #9
  • Season 2: Grover's Three Blocks, Eleven Cheer
  • Season 3: The Sound of the Letter A, The Alligator King, Mad Painter #4
  • Season 4: Harvey Kneeslapper: Sticky Four*, Nobody with Snuffy, The Song of the Count
  • Season 5: The King's Nose*, Bein' Green (with Lena Horne)
  • Season 6: Typewriter: O-Owl, Headball: Hard Head Henry Harris*
  • Season 7: Pinball Number Count #12, Surprise*
  • Season 8: There's a Hole in the Bucket*, Water Cantata (with Judy Collins)
  • Season 9: The Four Seasons
  • Season 10: Bert and Ernie Meet the Martians, Ringmaster #2*
  • Season 11: Leslie Mostly Meets The Count*, Mystery Guest*
  • Season 12: Dr. Nobel Price: Umbrella*, Deena and Pearl: Underwater
  • Season 13: We Coulda, Honk Around the Clock
  • Season 14: I Wish I Had a Friend To Play With Me
  • Season 15: Teeny Little Super Guy: Danger*
  • Season 16: Elmo Pops Balloon, Kermit News: Mary and Her Little Lamb*
  • Season 17: Miami Mice (with The Count)*, Forgetful Jones: What's the Name of That Song?*
  • Season 18: Alone in the Swamp With You, Kermit's Mystery Box
  • Season 19: The American Eagle: National Bird
  • Season 20: Up and Down Opera*, The Word is No!
  • Season 21: Monsterpeice Theater: Much Ado About Nothing*, I Wonder About the World Above Up There
  • Season 22: Super Grover and Super Elmo*, I Love Trash
  • Season 23: Mountain of Love*
  • Season 24: Jim Carrey's Feet*

*denotes that my grouping this segment under this season is just a guess and I don't actually know what season it originated in.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Another great DVD concept would be one of 45 segments from the show, one per season.

But an idea I'd rather have would be a "45 Great Classic Clips" release (and maybe another release of 45 clips from seasons 25-2008, and one of 45 HD-produced clips).

For a "45 Classic Clips" release, Id represent seasons 1-24 with 1-3 clips from each season (mainly two per season).

A rundown:
  • Season 1: Rubber Duckie (the real original from season one), Jazz #5, Henson #9
  • Season 2: Grover's Three Blocks, Eleven Cheer
  • Season 3: The Sound of the Letter A, The Alligator King, Mad Painter #4
  • Season 4: Harvey Kneeslapper: Sticky Four*, Nobody with Snuffy, The Song of the Count
  • Season 5: The King's Nose*, Bein' Green (with Lena Horne)
  • Season 6: Typewriter: O-Owl, Headball: Hard Head Henry Harris*
  • Season 7: Pinball Number Count #12, Surprise*
  • Season 8: There's a Hole in the Bucket*, Water Cantata (with Judy Collins)
  • Season 9: The Four Seasons
  • Season 10: Bert and Ernie Meet the Martians, Ringmaster #2*
  • Season 11: Leslie Mostly Meets The Count*, Mystery Guest*
  • Season 12: Dr. Nobel Price: Umbrella*, Deena and Pearl: Underwater
  • Season 13: We Coulda, Honk Around the Clock
  • Season 14: I Wish I Had a Friend To Play With Me
  • Season 15: Teeny Little Super Guy: Danger*
  • Season 16: Elmo Pops Balloon, Kermit News: Mary and Her Little Lamb*
  • Season 17: Miami Mice (with The Count)*, Forgetful Jones: What's the Name of That Song?*
  • Season 18: Alone in the Swamp With You, Kermit's Mystery Box
  • Season 19: The American Eagle: National Bird
  • Season 20: Up and Down Opera*, The Word is No!
  • Season 21: Monsterpeice Theater: Much Ado About Nothing*, I Wonder About the World Above Up There
  • Season 22: Super Grover and Super Elmo*, I Love Trash
  • Season 23: Mountain of Love*
  • Season 24: Jim Carrey's Feet*
*denotes that my grouping this segment under this season is just a guess and I don't actually know what season it originated in.
I'm not gonna lie, you seriously need to be hired at Sesame Workshop as the one in charge of what DVDs should be like!