Special Edition Movie DVD's coming in November

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
New R1 Disney Muppet DVD plans

I was at ultimatedisney.com and spotted this
A sneak peek on the new catalogue discs reveals some other quite exciting news. Believe it or not, Kermit the Frog is turning 50 this year; his debut television appearance was on Jim Henson's black-and-white program "Sam and Friends" in 1955. In celebration of this golden anniversary, Disney will be rereleasing four of the Muppets' most popular films to Special Edition DVD: The Muppet Movie (1979), The Great Muppet Caper (1981), The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992) and Muppet Treasure Island. The promo provides no new release date nor information on bonus features, but ensures the films are "completely restored and remastered." One assumes from the widescreen clips previewed that each will be presented in their original 1.85:1 theatrical aspect ratios, which was not the case when Disney first released Carol and Island to DVD in 2002. We'll have more details for you as soon as they come in!
source:ultimatedisney.com

Sounds promising :wink:

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
How about Special Edition DVD's of "Muppets Take Manhattan" and "Muppets From Space"?

MWoO

Reaction score
Rights are tied up with Sony, but even if they weren't I doubt MFS is next on the special edition list.

doctort13

Reaction score
Why oh why do these companies rip the cash from our pockets so willingly?!?! :grouchy:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Better question, why oh why do we keep giving them our cash? Oh wait, I know the answer to that- Because we love the muppets. This is such WONDERFUL news, because I don't own a copy of The Muppet Movie, and that needs to change. But is it guaranteed that it will actually happen? Because if it is, I might actually start actively looking for a job... :smile:

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWSOME MAN!!!!!!! YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :crazy: :smile: I already own MCC and TMI on disney dvd, and TMM and TGMC when Disney released em back in 1993, but I dont own the dvds of em! this is sooo great!!! You gotta say YOU LOVE Disney now!!! lol :flirt:

unclematt

Reaction score
MWoO said:
Rights are tied up with Sony, but even if they weren't I doubt MFS is next on the special edition list.
What is the legal tie up with Sony?

MWoO

Reaction score
Apprently Sony/Tri-star partially owns the rights or somehting.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder how hard it would be for Columbia/ Tri-Star to release new special edition DVDs of The Muppets take manhattan and Muppets from Space (although I think the only feature that would eed to be added to the Muppets from Space DVD would be deleted scenes)? Would Sony need Disneys involvement, or just approval?

I was sure that Disney would release special edition DVDs of the first two movies soon, but I was surprised to hear that they plan on releasing new DVDs of MCC and MTI as well.

Now if only Disney will announce that they will release Muppets Tonight! and The Jim Henson Hour.....

MWoO

Reaction score
Jim Henson Hour is so split up it would not pay to release it as it's own DVD set. Perhaps the muppet television partas that Disney owns will make it into other DVDs as extras.

I am glad MTI and MCC are being released as special editions. I really want to see those in wide screen. I wonder what extras there will be though. MTI's DVD had a pretty good set of stuff already.