Soft Drink Parody

Cookie fan

Reaction score
I remember seeing an old soft drink ad back in the 70's or thereabouts (was it Dr. Pepper?), it featured a kid asking a football player for an autograph, I think... but the football player ignored the kid but shortly later gave the kid a towel. Anyone remember that one? But, Sesame Street did a parody or spoof on that same ad, it featured a down and out Gordon as a football player, and this kid asks him for an autograph but Gordon ignores him, and shortly after gives the kid a towel with a number 7 on it. Does anyone remember this one? There were many other spoofs on Sesame Street as we all know.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
here's some more detail on the commerical.

I remember seeing the original commercial which was around 1980 or 81 which is how I remember it. Can't remember the whole thing through but the football player was Joe Green generally called Mean Joe Green who I belive played for the Dallas Cowboys. The commercial was pretyy much like you saw in the SS priorty. kid comes in asking if he need help or something, then askas

do you want my Coke?

Green: no

Kid: Says something like you can have it.

Greeen drinks it all.

Kid: bye.

Green: Hey kid, and throws his a towel with a Coke logo on it I think.

And at that time their jingle was '' Have a Coke and a Smile.

Cookie fan

Reaction score
Thank you very much

Wow...I must thank you very much for your help Katzi...it brings back all those great memories as a kid. What a great parody huh?! Those were the days.

rbcmlr

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Can't remember the whole thing through but the football player was Joe Green generally called Mean Joe Green who I belive played for the Dallas Cowboys.
Just FYI, Joe Greene played for the Pittsburgh Steelers for his entire career. I believe that he retired right after they won their fourth Super Bowl (1980?).