So you want to audition for the Muppets?

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
Was Once Ernie said:
I think you've hit the nail on the head exactly! Very well put.

:stick_out_tongue:
So, this just proves, that it's about the characters and the performers are replaceable. Right?

Grant

BEAR

Reaction score
ToasterBoy said:
So, this just proves, that it's about the characters and the performers are replaceable. Right?

Grant

No, they are not looking to replace any of the current performers.

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
BEAR said:
No, they are not looking to replace any of the current performers.
That is not what I'm saying. It was brought up that there is several touring companies for broadway shows and how what they are auditioning for is similar. So then that must mean that it's all about the characters NOT the performers.

I know they are not currently looking to replace the lead Muppet performers.

Well, except at these appearances where these mini troupes will be performing. Right?

Grant

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
ToasterBoy said:
Well, actually, I think this is right. If they can replace Jim Henson, then they can replace anybody. Would you rather the characters die with their creators? As long as there's money to be made, the characters will be kept alive. They're not doing it out of some desire to please the fans (other than it's the fans that support them monetarily).

That being said, Bear is also correct. This particular round of auditions is not to replace any of the current performers. It's to have more than one person performing the characters concurrently.

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
Was Once Ernie said:
Well, actually, I think this is right. If they can replace Jim Henson, then they can replace anybody. Would you rather the characters die with their creators? As long as there's money to be made, the characters will be kept alive. They're not doing it out of some desire to please the fans (other than it's the fans that support them monetarily).

That being said, Bear is also correct. This particular round of auditions is not to replace any of the current performers. It's to have more than one person performing the characters concurrently.

Right I know that this particular round of auditions they are not currently replacing and muppet performers. I get that. EXCEPT, that they ARE replacing them for smaller appearances right? A year ago, if Kermit was going to appear anywhere, Steve would be there. Correct? With these auditions, they are are finding puppeteers who can do smaller gigs replacing the main crew so they can do the bigger stuff (TV, Movies, etc.) Correct?

I understand it is about the character and Jim Henson was replaced, etc. Got it.

You said that "as long as there is money to be made...". So Disney does care about the cash, obviously. What I'm asking is what would stop Disney 5, 10 years down the road from saying, "Look we're paying Steve $100/hour (or whatever the rate is) to do these TV shows and were paying this guy $5.50/hour to do mall shows and he does the same exact voice and is a good puppeteer. Why not just dump Steve, give this little guy half of what Steve was making and we have a new Kermit and save $$$!" it is all about the characters after all, who cares who's performing it.

For the record, I'm not saying that is what they are going to do or planning to do, I'm just asking what would stop them from doing that? This is Disney you know.

BTW, I am enjoying this discussion, I think it's good.

Grant

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
ToasterBoy said:
What I'm asking is what would stop Disney 5, 10 years down the road from saying, "Look we're paying Steve $100/hour (or whatever the rate is) to do these TV shows and were paying this guy $5.50/hour to do mall shows and he does the same exact voice and is a good puppeteer. Why not just dump Steve, give this little guy half of what Steve was making and we have a new Kermit and save $$$!"
Unless Steve and the other guys have contracts, there's nothing to stop them from doing this. But then, I don't know what the terms of the Disney deal are. Is the Henson family still involved at all? Do they have any say over who performs the characters? Maybe they do and that would stop Disney from just replacing Muppeteers on a monetary whim.

But if they don't, then you are back to my original argument. Say you are the mall Kermit and you get a call to do "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson". At that point, you call Steve and ask him why he's not doing it. If he says they're trying to squeeze him over money, then you call them back and say that you are unavailable. No matter how much you want to do the gig, it's unethical to do it cheaper than the real guy.

Are there people out there that would take the job anyway and just say, "Well, the heck with Steve, this is my big break". Sure there are. But I'm not one of them and I hope the other folks on this forum that are the true fans wouldn't do it either. If they can't get anyone else to do it, they have to deal with Steve. And the person that would stab Steve in the back would be hated by the fans anyway. So, in the end, you don't win.

BEAR

Reaction score
The thing is that I don't don't think it would be smart to have anyone else perform the Muppets on talk shows or interviews because the performer has to really know the character and the history of Muppets and the character they are playing, so that they can answer questions and improvise and be consistant. Otherwise its just stupid.

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
BEAR said:
The thing is that I don't don't think it would be smart to have anyone else perform the Muppets on talk shows or interviews because the performer has to really know the character and the history of Muppets and the character they are playing, so that they can answer questions and improvise and be consistant. Otherwise its just stupid.

Smart. No, not at all. But when the $$ is involved, you never know.

Grant

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
Was Once Ernie said:
Unless Steve and the other guys have contracts, there's nothing to stop them from doing this. But then, I don't know what the terms of the Disney deal are. Is the Henson family still involved at all? Do they have any say over who performs the characters? Maybe they do and that would stop Disney from just replacing Muppeteers on a monetary whim.
As far as I know, as I could and probably am wrong, Henson is involved for a few years, but Disney owns the characters and can do whatever they'd like. If they want to ditch the puppets and just do an animated series, they could.

Grant

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
ok just to squash some of these replacment rummors,

THAT IS NOT WHAT THESE AUDITIONS ARE ABOUT!!!!

they are looking for people to do small PR events. Things that they do not what to go thru the expense of paying the large rates the main Muppet Performers comand.

I know it would be great if these were for understudies, but i have it on good authority that will not be what you are auditioning for.

never the less good luck to all