So We'll Go No More A-Roving, for Fear of Furry Monsters

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
1 Love the references to Behemoth's big bit in the movie (though I missed that part) and BD's travel arrangements from the Season 1 TMS Episode 8.
2 What's this "anything "could" go wrong?" Don't you know Snookie? Anything "will" go wrong.
3 Forced dating reality show? Hmm, I wonder what that could be a minimal rant towards. Certainly not the one thing Kermit and Piggy appeared on this past Monday. :smirk:
4 Hee... That's our skirt-chasing Pew all right.
5 Good that Gonzo's moving on to concern himself with proving his intentions to that clucky little hen of his.
6 Happy that the weirdo's found an able assistant in Rosie. *Chuckles at the comment about scrambled mess with sausages on the side.
7 Why does the Martians' dialogue when they shimmered into the empty hallway remind me of the sketch where they showed up in :frown: and :stick_out_tongue:'s bedroom scaring the latter?
:frown:: Ask them if they want any oatmeal.
Martians: Oatmeal!
8 Charging their antennai like static emitters, clever. Light the way and lead on, we shall read and follow.
9 And so Eustace's list of obstacles grows.
10 Absolute deafening clapping for Gonzo's performance. Mayhaps that last egg he saved will prove to hide a Resurrection Yolk inside it, unrevealed until he figures out the meaning of "I Open at the Close".
11 Smelling salts for :cluck:. Better not let :hungry: hear, he'll bring that and an armload of other spices too.
12 Barking hotdogs. Maybe those are some extra Frankenfurtersteins snatched from the Cooking Show with Cat Cora.
13 Careful Snookie... You just made a deal with a devil. Better the devil you know than the one you don't, but that doesn't change the fact he's still a monster. Although I do like the budding protectiveness from Snookie towards Constanza.
14 BD voted 'claws down' on Gonzo? While I respect his opinion and fright to vote as he sees fit, he is a judge after all, I'm only expressing concern that he should know not to upset the Underlord's plans as the smaller furry blue thing was chosen as a "favorite".
15 Another round of applause at incorporating the fight sequences of eastern martial arts into John Lamb's rakish repertoire. Only to have it come tumbling down thanks to Pew.
16 Oh! Very pleased to find Gladys making an appearance. Poor Link though, his naval suit ruined. I'm sure that'll be a blow to all his fans. Or maybe not, they'd probably start chanting for "Shirt off!" like in the stupid Burger King commercial.
17 Oooooh... Sloop John B, I adore that song. Also makes me sad as I know what the song talks about.
18 Hand that poultry a golden star for connecting the dots.
19 Good question Snookie. Probably the same way I or rather Ryan did for his WMW article.
20 Love the performance by Frazzle and the Frazzletones. And yes, you got everything written correctly.
21 Okay, I got Snookie's joke.
:boo: Big deal, I left my teeth in Minneapolis!
22 The Martians even infiltrated Van Neuter's lab in search of boomsticks. Classic cartoon chemistry class. No boom? Nope nope nope. Oh wait, *hears the result of the lab doctor's candle tossing. Ah, there's the earth-shattering kaboom. Well, back to the old electronic brain.

Thanks for another exciting installment. *Skulks away merrily.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Yay! I'm finally caught up!
I am too sleepy to have caught some of the references, but I'll try a second read and see what I can catch then.

I like that Gonzo is getting his priorities straight, and it seems that Camilla's long-suffering affecti0n will finally be rewarded. I am--strangely--not at all concerned that Gonzo won't make it out of the sewers. He's just that plucky, and I'm sure he'll survive Ascension night. Beaker, on the other hand, I'm worried about.

The spider and bat dialogue was great. I really like what you do with your original characters.

Oh! And THANK YOU for letting something awful happen to Van Neuter. I've been wanting something despicable to happen to him since MFS.

And I'm glad that Snookie is getting his priorities straight, too. Making Life meaningful is really about who you share it with, and I'm hoping that Snookie may emerge from his purgatory with someone to share his life with. (Yep, that's me--the first house on Ush-Gush lane....)

Poor Link. I'm actually liking him better and better, even though he doesn't give Piggy her due like he should. No wonder male pigs are called "bores."

Keep it coming! Can't wait to see what's next!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Gonzo: (straightening his suspenders with the lady-bugs on them in front of the camera before realizing that it is a live feed) Oh! I'm on? Am I on? The camera's on? Now? Oh! Fantastic! (waves) Hi there! This is Gonzo the Great, performance artist and plumber extroidinaire, with breaking news. I am tres sorry to report that our story spinner, Newsmanfan, has been eaten by giant earwigs, who were drawn to her dark humor and slightly-minty insides, causing this story to be...what? She wasn't eaten?
Newsie: Get out from in front of the camera, you--you...ridiculous excuse for a journalist! Who let you into the studio? This is a serious announcement.
Scribbler: (edging into the room eating a doughnut stolen from the cast caterer.) Bigfoot stole her--right? Am I right? I knew there were monsters in this city!
Newsie: Of course there are monsters in this city! We're standing on Sesame Street! But that's not the point!
Rizzo: It's not? Well, that's disappointing. I just showed up for the knees--I mean, um, the news.
Rhonda: Beat it, creep, before I tap-dance on your shins.
Rizzo: (sighing) Is it just me or is she sexy when she's tough?
Newsie: GET OUT! THIS IS A SERIOUS NEWS STORY! GET AWAY FROM MY DESK AND OUT FROM IN FRONT OF MY CAMERA!
Piggy: Well, excusez-Moi. Sheesh--some people are such camera-hogs! (flounces away)
Newsie: The multi-talented author of this story--Newsmanfan (blushing), ahem, is on a temporary and unavoidable hiatus caused by the death of her...car? Her car? It died?
Gonzo: Kaput.
Rizzo: Terminal.
The Count: Shalom.
Newsie: Her, um, car. And Newsmanfan will return when she is no longer being carried into work by rats in rickshaws. (Glares at paper.) Rats in Rickshaws? Rhonda--who's writing this stuff?
Rhonda: I don't know. (Looks at notes) Some Miss Piggy fangirl, looks like.
Newsie: Oh. Is she...reliable?
Rhonda: Usually. Except when she's messing with her own timeline.
Newsie: What about Newsmanfan's (blushes), um, timeline?
Rhonda: Keep your shorts on--she's getting to it when she has wheels again.
Rizzo: Oh, and I suppose the Rickshaw Union doesn't count?
Rhonda: SECURITY!
Newsie: But--how could her car...die?
(Rhonda is saved from explanation with a small blue compact car wheezes onto the soundstage, coughs violently and dies--all four tires going flat at the same time.)
Newsie: Egad. Is it...is there...um, anything we can do?
Rhonda: Naw. These things happen.
Rizzo: But donations for a new car can be sent directly to my bank account at www.ratsassets.com, forward-slash--
Rhonda: SECURITY! (Rizzo runs and she gives chase)
Newsie: (left alone in front of the camera) Um. And that is all. This has been a Muppet News Flash exclusive.
Scribbler: It's not really that exclusive. I just walked in the front door and got food off the catering table--
Newsie: (growling) Get out! (Chases Scribbler off camera.)
Sam the Eagle: Weirdos. You are allllll weirdos.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Sneaks back into the townhouse after leaving mysteriously previously in the middle of the night.
Pops: Very popular choice.
Sheesh, and I'm the one who runs the place.
*Listens to taped news flash. Oh. Oh! Well, that explains that. Was worried I hadn't heard back from Kris since Monday night.
Deadly passes by, consoling a little blue coupe that was Newsie's car.
Wait, isn't that... From that Disney...
Deadly nods quietly, leading the automobile apparition off to its final haunt.

Thank you Ru for the Mupdate.
Blue: Mupdate?
Pink: News.
Both: Yip yip yip yip yip, uh-huh uh-huh.
*They shimmer away back to their rooftop hangout.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
(giggling madly...
I cadged a ride to the library to post. Car still dead, but mechanic thinks he knows what's going on. Hope so. Back when I can...)

Part Thirty-Seven

A cold wind out of the northwest blew clouds in until Thursday morning looked more like an evening; by noon the sky was so overcast and the wind so biting that Kermit wished he’d worn something even warmer than his old trenchcoat. Glumly he climbed the subway station stairs, one flipper grasping his fedora tightly when a chilly gust threatened to steal it. “Stupid fall weather,” he grumbled. Should’ve gone on that perfume ad shoot with Piggy yesterday; it was gorgeous...we could have had a picnic in the park... Sighing, Kermit looked around once at the top of the steps to get his bearings. The dime store on the corner had been replaced by a dollar store, and the ads on the walls at the intersection were different, but as he peered against the wind he could see the familiar outline of the spruced-up brownstones which indicated the start of the street. His street, once upon a time. Glad that he still recognized it, and feeling vaguely guilty that he hadn’t visited for a very long time, the frog steeled his shoulders and tromped into the wind toward the signpost which had served as a beacon to many.

Kermit wasn’t sure whom he should seek out first; the younger monsters, he was positive, had nothing to do with anything horrible under the city. He was fairly sure the more mature residents wouldn’t sink so low either...but then again, the Newsman had shown him what appeared to be proof of terrible crimes going on, and a few of the Muppet Theatre’s regular monstrous performers had seemed to be involved.

The frog wasn’t sure whom to trust anymore.

Consumed in these thoughts, head down against the wind, he almost bumped into a purple monster on a pogo stick. “Whoooaaa! Hey, watch out, mister!” The orange nose wrinkled a bit, and the eyes went wide in worry as the monster dismounted his bouncing toy to grasp Kermit’s shoulder. “Hey, are you okay? Sorry about that! I was trying to practice my boingarooney when this awful wind –“ Kermit looked up, and Telly startled, dropping his pogo stick. “Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Is that really you, Kermit?”

“Uh, yep, yep...it is,” Kermit nodded. “Hi, Telly. How are you do—“

“Hey everybody! It’s Kermit! Kermit’s back! Hey!” the excited young monster yelled. He banged on a nearby garbage can at the foot of a brownstone’s front steps – a city waste ordnance violation if ever Kermit had seen one, and one which made him quirk a wry smile. Some things don’t change. The cranky voice which shouted a reply even before the lid to the can slammed open didn’t sound as though it had changed, either.

“Heeeyyy! Knock it off! I was about to take my ugly rest!” A scraggly green head arose from the trash can, and dark brows furrowed at a frantic Telly. “Hey, kumquat-nose, what gives?”

“Oscar! Oscar! Look! Look, Kermit’s back!”

The Grouch swung around, startled, then gave his former neighbor a frown. “Well, well, look what the wind blew in with the rest of the trash!” He sneered, but Kermit wasn’t buying it. The very fact that the Grouch bothered to speak to him indicated he, too, had missed the frog.

Kermit smiled. “Nice to see you again too, Oscar.”

“Hmf!”

Telly trembled, hovering at Kermit’s shoulder. “Does...does this mean you’re moving back?”

Kermit sighed. “Sorry, Telly, no. Listen, it’s great to see you both, and I’m really, uh, I’m sorry I haven’t visited in a while...”

The Grouch cocked his misshapen head to one side. “But lemme guess: this ain’t a social call.”

“No. I’m sorry.” Nasty-tempered as he could be, the trashcan resident might have a better idea than most whether anything untoward was going on among the monsters around here. “Oscar, I have some serious things I came to ask you guys about, and, well, um...”

“Serious!” Telly exclaimed, shaking. “Oh, no! Is...is Wall Street coming here?”

“What?” Baffled, Kermit stared at him.

“Well, I, uh...I heard my mom watching the news the other night, and they said that Wall Street was full of robbers out to steal our rights to assemble things, and Kermit –“ He grabbed Kermit’s arm anxiously. “I have a model triangle I’ve been putting together! Those robbers won’t come steal it when I’m done assembling it, will they?”

“Uh, no, Telly.” How the hey could he approach this with such an innocent? “Look, Telly, I heard that...that some of the monsters who work at my theatre might be...uh...might be getting in with a bad crowd, who want them to do bad things.”

Telly cringed. “Are they going to try and steal my model triangle?”

Oscar waved a grungy hand at the youngster. “Scram, kid! Us grown-ups have some serious stuff to talk about! Now beat it before I grab your stupid triangle! Heh heh heh.” He grinned as Telly retrieved his pogo stick and hurried off, casting nervous glances behind him every few steps. Turning back to Kermit, Oscar asked, “So what’s up? Did you need to come film a cautionary tale about just saying No for the naughty monster thespians?”

“Oscar, this is serious,” Kermit said, scowling.

“So you’ve said about twenty times already! What’s the big deal? And why don’t you hop around here any more? Finally got sick of the goody-goody stuff, huh? Well how wonderfully grouchy of you!”

“Oscar, knock it off, or I’ll...I’ll paint your can with pink polka-dots, and it’ll be the happiest, most cheerful trash can in the five boroughs!”

“Okay, okay, geez,” the Grouch grumbled. “Can’t blame a guy for being trying.”

Kermit stepped closer than he really wished to the battered waste-heap, avoiding a soggy, rotten banana peel. How does he still get away with this stuff, anyway? “Look...something is going on with the theatre monsters. Something that looks pretty dangerous...and I need to know if anyone here is involved. I mean, it seems unlikely, but...”

“Oh, well, if it’s dirt ya want!” Oscar said cheerfully. “Lemme see...uh, Telly has been running illegal trapezoids, Cookie is in rehab for junk food abuse, and the two-headed guy is working the phones for one a’ those nine-hundred numbers!”

Kermit blanched, and the Grouch chortled. “Heh heh heh! You should see your froggy little face right now! Whadda chump.” He shook his head, grinning. “Duh! They’re kids, frog! Whaddaya think they’re up to? They play, they sing, they learn about numbers and letters and...yeeeesh. I get sick just thinking about it.”

“So...so nothing out of the ordinary?” Kermit asked, relieved under his irritation.

“Regrettably, no.” Oscar gave him a sour grimace. “It’s all as sickeningly pleasant as usual. Now if you have nothing better to do than waste my time, scram! See if I care if you never write us!” With that, he slammed the lid down, vanishing into the bowels of the trash once more.

Unsure whether he should pursue the matter further here, and feeling very guilty about anyone else spotting him under these circumstances, Kermit looked around. The wind, fiercely chilly and now with a hint of rain blowing past, made him shiver and wonder if going into the store down the street would be a good idea or not; everyone would have questions, they’d want to chat and catch up, and as lovely as that sounded, now was not the time. Maybe...maybe you could invite them over for early trick-or-treating this weekend? He knew Piggy wouldn’t be thrilled at the idea of a house full of children, especially when several of them were large enough to knock over things...like the ‘fridge...or the foyer chandelier. But maybe just ask them to drop by the theatre for a treat, to show them we haven’t forgotten... Things have just been so busy! Sighing, he trudged onward, turning up the lapels of his coat against the wind.

“Pinwheels! Get your pretty fall pinwheels right here! Pinwheels so you can see the wind blowing – hey – watch it – hey come back here!” a familiar scratchy voice yelped; Kermit looked up exactly in time for a large paper pinwheel to smack him across the face. He struggled with it, finally prying it free of his damp nose, when the blue monster in a carnival barker’s vest and straw hat caught up. “Aha! There you are, you naughty pinwheel! Ah, sir! I see you are clearly an enthusiast of this classic and useful item! With this, you can tell whether it is windy outside!”

“Grover, I think the stuff being blown all over the street is a pretty good indicator of just how windy it is.”

“Oh! Froggiebaby!” With a happy cry, Grover threw both arms around Kermit, squeezing him hard, the pinwheel hurtling away forgotten. “Oh I am so happy you are back! Oh, let me hug you and hug you and –“

“Groffmf,” came a muffled voice.

“Oh it is so good to see you! We have all missed you very much around here!”

“Groffrr!”

“Oh I cannot wait to tell everybody you are here! This is so exciting!”

“Grover!”

“You do not have to shout in my ear, froggie baby,” the blue monster said, yanking his head away from the half-smothered froggy mouth. “I know you are as happy as I am, but I have sensitive eardrums, you know.”

“Grover, it’s nice to see you too, but I don’t have time right now for a big homecoming. I actually came to ask about...about...” He wasn’t sure how to approach this. “Um, look, is there somewhere we can go to talk without half the street interrupting us?”

“Oh, of course!” Grover, clapping his flimsy hat to his head with one furry hand, led Kermit to the scant shelter of a closed-up vendor’s cart; the leeward side of it offered a little protection from the wind, but not much. “There we go! Oh, I wish you had told us you were coming by; I could have asked my mommy to bake a cake or something.”

Kermit frowned, pulling his trenchcoat tighter around his chilled body. “Grover, someplace out of the wind?”

“You said someplace where people would not bother us,” Grover pointed out. “You did not say somewhere out of the wind. And really, isn’t it a beautiful day for pinwheels? Just look how they – auughh – oh nooo! Come back!” Before the distraught monster could chase after the toys now spiraling down the street, Kermit caught his arm.

“All right, all right, look. I just...I can’t stay long; I just needed some questions answered,” Kermit tried to explain. “Questions about...monsters on Sesame Street.”

Grover paused, then leaned closer to murmur, “Kermit, you were here how many years and you did not think to ask about monsters then? I would have thought you would have been more observant of your surroundings.”

“I know there are monsters! I know all of you here!” Kermit snapped, then wrested his impatience under control. Somehow, he knew, the adorably furry blue monster had a way of bringing that reaction out in people... “What I need to know is: are any of the monsters on Sesame Street going underground to some sort of...secret monster base?”

Grover blinked, stared, and then patted his old friend on the back. “I never knew you were under such a strain, froggie baby! Why don’t we go into Hooper’s for a nice cup of hot chocolate?” He looked around. “It seems to be a little breezy and wet today.”

“Grover...look, my mental state has nothing to do with this conversation! Last night I saw proof that some of the monsters from my theatre are doing something under the city, something involving secret tunnels, and game shows, and cages...” He shook his head. “It looks worrisome, whatever it is, and I just wanted to see if you guys had heard anything about it, all right?”

“Secret underground base...cages...tunnels...hmmm. Nope, not me,” Grover said brightly after a moment’s consideration. “I have been busy with a new job with Charlie’s Catering Service, however, so it may have slipped by me. Uh...I could ask SuperGrover for you!” He smiled. “We are very close, you know.”

Kermit shook his head. “That’s...that’s okay, thanks.” He sighed. Well, it wasn’t very likely any of the monsters here would be involved in kidnapping or imprisoning anyone! Still, he was relieved that they didn’t seem to know what he was talking about.

“I did cater to a game show last week,” Grover went on. “Oh, it was very exciting! The singing, and the dancing, and the acrobatics! Froggie baby, you should have seen the aquarium balancing act! It nearly made me forget I was supposed to be waiting the judges’ table!”

“Glad to hear it,” Kermit mumbled. Should he press on, and talk to more of the monsters? It seemed highly unlikely that any diabolical plots would be in play here. “Well, listen, Grover, if you should hear of anything suspicious, please let me know, okay? Oh, and...ah...why don’t you tell everyone to drop by the theatre this weekend for some early trick-or-treating? And...” Oh, what the hey. He felt guilty enough about this visit having to be so brief; he knew if he stayed long enough to say hello to everyone, he’d get corralled and mobbed and likely never make it back downtown before showtime...and he really did want to check on Scooter’s progress in securing the theatre...and he had half a mind to run down the absent monsters and see whether they really were AWOL or just busy or sick. But here were old friends, dear friends, even if some of them could be repeatedly annoying. “Why don’t you guys come see the show this weekend? Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. I’ll tell Pops to let anyone in free who lives here on the Street.”

“That would be very amusing and entertaining, Kermit! I will be sure and tell everybody! Heeeyy everybodeeee!” he yelled suddenly, startling Kermit. Just as suddenly, a loud ringing came from Grover’s vest pocket. “Oh! Oh, wait, that might be the temp agency; I have to answer that. Excuse me, froggie baby,” he apologized, and tried leaning against the cart to block the wind noise. “Hello? Yes, it is I, your cute, furry, loveable employee Grover!”

Kermit scrunched down below the top of the cart, hoping no one had noticed Grover’s primal scream. No such luck; another furry blue head poked around the corner of the cart, large googly eyes rolling wildly. “Cookie?” the monster asked hopefully.

“Uh, hi, Cookie. No, no, sorry, we have no cookies today,” Kermit replied while Grover listened attentively to his phone. He winced when the rotund, shaggy heap of a monster brightened and threw his arms open for a hug.

“Froggie! You back! Oh, this almost as good as a cookie!” Cookie Monster exclaimed, hugging Kermit. “Oh! Oh, this so wonderful! We should have celebration! We should have...cookies!” He gave a speculative look to a wheel of the cart; Kermit patted his hand, distracting him.

“Uh...not right now, Cookie, okay? Listen, have you heard anything about monsters under –“

“I am off to work!” Grover said, shoving his phone in a pocket. “Do not worry, Kermit! I will tell everybody of your very generous invitation to your place this weekend! I am sure everyone will come and you will have a wonderful party!”

“No; no, Grover, it isn’t a party; I just said you guys could –“

“A person in desperate need of a lockmonster awaits!” Grover cried. “I must fly to their assistance immediately!”

“A lockmonster?” Kermit asked.

Grover shrugged. “Well, I told them my name is not Smith. No time to chit-chat, froggie baby; I am sorry, but you will have to wait until this weekend to hear all of my wonderful stories about the catering business at your house party! I must fly! Up, up, and away!” He gave a small jump in the air, but remained grounded. “Hm, that’s strange...up, up and away!”

“Grover –“ Kermit tried to correct the house-party misapprehension, but the monster was intent on his nonflying problem.

“Oh, silly me, I am wearing the wrong uniform! Excuse me!” He trotted over to what had to be the last phone booth remaining anywhere in Manhattan, and swiftly re-emerged dressed in a pair of gray coveralls, holding a tool box, and sporting a red cape. “And now – SuperLockmonster to the rescue! Up, up and awaaaayyy!” Leaping high, he flew straight up – and crashed into the top of a street sign. Hanging from the sign, he dazedly tried again: “Up...up...and awayyy...”

Kermit shook his head, watching the blue-and-gray streak sputter and dart crazily from sidewalk level to the top of a building as Grover randomly traversed the street and left the neighborhood. Cookie offered sagely, “Me always wonder how he get insurance.”

“Mm,” Kermit agreed. With a sigh, he turned back to the baked-goods-obsessed creature. “So listen, Cookie, do you know anything about monsters living under the city who seem to be...ah...seem to be doing bad things?”

The monster scratched his head. “Uh...they doing bad things with cookies?”

“No, I very much doubt it.”

“Then it hold no interest for me. Good to see you again, frog.” The monster, heading away, paused. “Uhh...you want to see if Bert and Ernie have hot cocoa? And...and maybe doughnut?”

Kermit gave him a curious look. “Doughnut? Not cookie?”

Cookie shrugged. “Variety...spice of life.”

--------------------
Gusts of rain spattered the windows; the Newsman gazed unhappily out at the change in weather. Gina will make me take garlic, he thought, grimacing. Still, swallowing a pill, or perhaps drinking the fresh herb minced into a cup of hot broth, was far better than the castor-oil preventative his mother had used for just about everything. It was also assuredly better than trying to breathe through stopped-up sinuses. He chastised himself for complaining, and turned his eyes toward the street nine floors down. Where on earth is the locksmith? It’s been almost an hour! I guess the word ‘emergency’ isn’t in this company’s vocabulary. Every muffled tread in the hallway last night, every dimly-heard car honking in the street had caused him to jerk awake, terrified of monsters bursting through the door. Gina had agreed to his plea for better security, although she’d pointed out that the lobby had a coded entry lock, and black-and-white patrol cars cruised the street below regularly. ****’s Kitchen hadn’t been a bad neighborhood for over a decade, since many of the old buildings had been renovated and sold to more upscale tenants. Had Gina’s grandmother not left her this place, it would have been out of price range for a theatre technician...certainly more than the Newsman would have been able to afford. Especially since you currently have no salary, he thought, scowling.

He paced the living room, trying not to think about his suspension. A few minutes ago, he’d turned on the TV to see the protesters on Wall Street and in Zuccotti Park arguing with the cops who were forcibly removing their generators, citing safety concerns, as the cold rain came sheeting down. He itched to be down there, braving the elements to deliver up-to-the-minute coverage of the situation. However, surely the monsters were alerted to his investigation now; what if they were watching him? He shivered. The authorities had to take aggressive action! Had the Mayor seen his report? He glanced at the phone, fingers clenching unconsciously, then sighed. Four thousand viewings this morning...and no way of knowing if anyone in a position to DO something about it has seen it. He’d already left two messages with the Mayor’s secretary’s assistant, but no one had called back yet. What if they don’t do anything at all? What if the monstrous plot to take over the city continues unabated? How can I stop them?

Anxious, Newsie paced, wrapping his arms around himself. He checked the apartment’s thermostat. He wore a thick fall cardigan over his usual undershirt and dress shirt, and the thermostat claimed the apartment was a comfortable seventy-two degrees, yet he felt chilled. Maybe it’s the rain. Gusts of water had been randomly splatting against the windows a good hour now, clouds turning the sky dark which had been so clear and lovely only yesterday. Remembering his aunt’s admonition about a storm, Newsie pressed his cheek to the glass and peered out and up, but it didn’t seem to be actually storming per se, just intermittently raining.

As he squinted through the windows, he spied a darker object against the clouds. It narrowly missed the older apartments and converted factory buildings as it quickly approached. Newsie didn’t realize it was heading right for him until it was too late to do more than duck and cover. “Aaaaaaaagghhh!” screamed a high voice, one broad pane of glass shattering, as the blue flailing thing came hurtling into the living room.

“Waaaahhh!” Newsie yelled, throwing himself to the side; he bounced up frantic for a weapon. Grabbing the first thing he saw, he whirled to confront the intruder.

“Tah daaaahh! It is I, your friendly SuperLockmons—“

“Aaaagh! Out! Out, you fiend!” Newsie cried, swinging the stubby weapon. It clanged off some sort of knight’s helmet the creature wore, making them both stagger back.

“Oww! Sir! Sir, wait! Stop! Just a – whooaa!” The blue monster in the red cape ducked Newsie’s second swing. “I think perhaps he has had too much coffee,” the monster muttered, then grabbed the TV remote when Newsie tried to attack him with it again. “Sir! Sir! Please! Is this any way to greet a helpful lockmonster who has come to solve your dire security problems?”

“Get out of my—“ The Newsman halted, panting, words sinking in. The monster wasn’t attacking, wasn’t baring fangs or claws or anything except a toolbox. “What? Who are you exactly?” Newsie demanded, trying to catch his breath.

The blue furry creature drew himself up straight and struck a pose, arms akimbo. “Sir! Do not tell me you do not recognize the extremely helpful SuperLockmonster whom you yourself summoned! Is this not apartment nine-oh-six?”

“Er...yes...”

“And did you, sir, not call for a lockmonster?”

“I called for a locksmith,” Newsie corrected, warily looking the strange monster up and down. The cape clashed with the plain gray coveralls, and the helmet had more dings and dents in it than the old metal toolbox the monster plunked onto the coffee table. The monster, however, was shorter than the Newsman, with a round pink nose, a bit of a potbelly shape below skinny shoulders, and absolutely no teeth in his wide round mouth.

“Well, we cannot all be named Smith, you know! Now! I am here; how may I be of service? Did you wish a new lock on your breadbox?” The blue furry thing eagerly looked around. “Oh, what attractive art you have hanging on the walls! Is that an original Mucha or a reproduction? Oh, well, I suppose it does not matter; of course you would want to protect such nice posters! Can I interest you today in our Super-Deluxe Home Art Guard Alarm System, sir?”

“Why did you crash through the window?” Newsie asked, his initial panic giving way to a growing anger; chill wet wind blew through the shattered pane. “How is that making my home more secure?”

“Oh! You have a hole in your window! Not to worry, sir; this SuperLockmonster always aims to please! I will have that window secured for you in a jiffy! Here, could you hold this? Thank you – now, where is my tape measure...”

Newsie stared astonished while the monster rummaged through the tool box now cradled in Newsie’s arms, tossing aside a chalkline, a pipe wrench, and a twenty-four-piece set of miniature screwdrivers. Quickly the coffee table, then the sofa, then the adjacent floor was covered in more tools than even Gina owned. “Er...uh...you’re really a locksmith?” Newsie asked dubiously, watching the cheerfully furry monster darting to and fro next to the window with a flurry of hammering noises.

“I keep telling you, sir, not all of us are named Smith. There! How do you like your new, secure window?” The monster proudly gestured at the formerly light-giving panes which took up most of the outer wall; he’d boarded them over haphazardly with one-by-fours, crown molding in an egg-and-dart pattern, and a couple of bands of aluminum screwed in place. The actual windows were completely hidden.

Oh my frog Gina is going to be ticked, was the first thing that came to mind. Newsie paled. “But – you can’t even see outside!”

“And no one will be able to see in and be tempted to steal these fabulous art posters!” the lockmonster argued happily. “Is that not more secure? Does this not make you feel better, knowing no one can come climbing up the building to break in your windows?”

“Erk,” Newsie gulped.

“Well, there you are, sir! No need to thank me; it is all in a day’s work for a SuperLock—“

“I called because I wanted more locks put on the front door!” Newsie choked out. He shoved the toolbox at the bewildered monster. “I thought maybe some bars on the outside of the windows, or something – not boarding them over! And I mainly wanted another deadbolt for the door!”

The monster shrugged. “Well, sir, I do not think it very likely that anyone can see through your door and want to come steal your posters, but I am here to please!” He trotted to the kitchen. “Ah! I see your problem! Why, how can your door be secure when you do not even have a door here? Do not worry! I am prepared for all security discrepancies!”

Newsie grabbed the monster’s skinny arm before more invasive construction work could commence. “That’s the kitchen! It’s supposed to be open! That is the front door!” He pointed the monster at the apartment’s only door to the floor’s main hall. “I just want a deadbolt! Do not board up anything else!”

The blue monster gave Newsie a long stare. “All right, sir, my hearing is perfectly good; there is no need to shout.” He examined the front door, peering closely at it from jamb to kickplate, hmming and aha-ing a couple of minutes. Newsie waited, fidgeting. Finally the monster nodded. “I see your problem, sir. While this door already has a knob and a lock, you will need something more thorough to ensure your apartment is protected from any art poster thieves! Do not worry, I handle this sort of thing all the time, sir. Stand back; I would not wish you to be injured by flying hinge pins.”

“W-what?” Newsie stammered, but the monster shoved him back a step and went to work, sawing and squeaking and asking for a tube of WD-40 from the toolbox and suddenly standing back, panting, covered in sawdust. Newsie blinked; had the creature really moved that fast?

“There you are!” Newsie stared, eyes wide, at the small hinged panel with an enormous padlock now centered in the door at Muppet eye-level. “Isn’t that better? Now you will be able to lock your door’s security window so that prying eyes will not be able to see your art posters! They will have no idea which wall the Mucha ad for absinthe even hangs upon! Hah ha! Does that not make you feel much more secure, sir?” A friendly blue hand patted Newsie’s shoulder.

“You...you cut a hole in the door!”

“Technically, it is called a porthole, sir.”

“You cut a hole in the door!” Newsie yelled. “That is not more secure!”

Puzzled, the monster pointed out the padlock. “But you can lock your security porthole so no one can see inside, sir. If you wish to see who is trying to steal your posters, you can always look out the porthole, of course...”

Newsie felt like tearing at his hair. “I don’t care about poster thieves!” he yelled. “I care about the monsters who are trying to take over the city! I care about horrible giant bugs trying to eat my friends! I care about freakish rag-things trying to murder my aunt!”

The monster blinked. “I think you have more issues than can be solved even by a SuperLockmonster, sir.” Newsie turned away, trying to contain his fury. He felt a soft hand on his shoulder again, and glared back into sympathetic eyes. “Dealing with deep-seated nightmares can be difficult... Have you tried Hare Krishna?”

-------------------------
“Is this the right place?” a wolfish monster growled softly, squinting up at the backstage entrance to the theatre. The trio had already been to two other theatres today only to discover someone back at base had given them the wrong GPS coordinates.

The fat, sniffling goblin, almost completely muffled in a thick burlap scarf, grumbled back, “Why do you even look at signs? You can’t read!”

“I’m up to Q in the alphabet,” argued the wolfish thing, showing its two-inch claws to the smartmouthed goblin.

Piranha-mouthed, slinking Slurg silenced them both with a hiss: “Shut up! This is the right one.” He studied the door, beady eyes narrowed under feathery black brows. After their first mission had failed, Slurg in particular had been angling for another chance to prove to the underlord how useful he could be; these two losers would be content to lay somewhere stuffing their bellies when the great aboveground takeover happened, but not him. Slurg very much wanted a commanding part in the New Monster Order. He curled his toothy mouth up in his best attempt at a smile. “Nowww...we must find a way in, and overpower the target, and drag it back to base!”

The wolfish monster exchanged a look with the doubtful goblin. “Uhh...about that, boss...”

“Captain Slurg!”

The goblin rolled its eyes; fortunately the strike team captain couldn’t see them beneath the layers of gardening insulation fabric. “Captain Slurg,” the wolf-thing corrected himself tiredly. “Look, I mean, we ain’t afraid a’ nothin’...but...”

“She beat up Scribbler,” the goblin ventured. “I saw it in the Goblin Gossiper.”

“So?”

“She can banish ghosts just by lookin’ at ‘em,” the wolf-thing added.

Slurg sighed impatiently. “So? We’re not ghosts!”

“She has magic cards!”

“You know what they say about red fur!”

“She summoned a demon to fight a dinosaur!”

The wolf-thing corrected the goblin with a waggle of a claw. “No, no, you got that one mixed up: she summoned a magician to fight a chicken.”

“That doesn’t even make sense!” Slurg snapped. “Who cares about chickens? Who cares about dinosaurs or gossip hacks or magicians? Since when are cards weapons of any kind? And not everything they say about red fur is true! I should know; my fifth ex was a redfurred kinkajou! Now let’s get on with this!” He spat in the dirt of the alleyway. “I’m ashamed of you both! You call yourselves monsters!” Slurg grabbed the doorhandle, though he had to stand on tiptail to do so. “Now let’s get in there and—“

The door abruptly flew open, and a tall man with white-blond hair and numerous tattoos glared at them. All three monsters froze.

“Hey! Audition in progress! Can’t you guys read?” The tall man jerked a thumb at a notice taped to the door. “Either pipe down or move out before I come out here and explain the idea of courtesy in a little more detail!” With a final glare at the trio of startled monsters, the man returned inside and the door slammed.

The goblin shrugged. “Ah well. We tried. Let’s go home.”

Slurg grabbed the traitor by his neck – well, attempted to. It was difficult to even find a neck on a goblin normally, much less one wrapped up like a roasting turkey against the cold rain. “You idiot! We can’t go back empty-clawed now! Do you know what the dark lord will do to us if we fail him again?”

The goblin and the wolf-thing glanced at one another again, and shrugged. “Uh...no?”

“He’ll...he’ll...” At a creative loss, Slurg threw his hands in the air. “Well, it’ll be...never mind what it’ll be, because it’ll be horrible! It’ll be painful for all of us, you moron! Now...now start looking for another way insi—“

“Hey! Keep it down out here! Don’t make me call the cops on you!” shouted a younger man with a clipboard as he flung the door open; again, they froze in astonishment. Stuffily, the man adjusted a pair of lightweight glasses. “We are trying to hold an audition in here! Honestly, hasn’t anyone heard of common courtesy anymore?” At a shout from inside the building, the young man yelled back, “Right away, Mr Malkovich, sir!” The door banged shut behind him.

An idea popped into Slurg’s fevered brain. “Heeeyyy! I got it!” When the others stared at him dumbly, he pointed to the audition notice. “Monsterman!”

Understanding dawned. The goblin perked up. “Yeah...Monsterman!”

The wolf-thing snickered, nodding.

A few minutes later, a somewhat baffled Slurg perched atop the goblin’s shoulders, gesturing broadly onstage in a ragged long coat while the wolf-thing struggled to keep his balance on two legs underneath. “To be...or not to—“

“Thank you, we’ll call you if we need you,” an authoritative voice spoke from somewhere in the center of the audience seats. “Next!”

“But wait, I wasn’t even to the good part yet,” Slurg protested, but the next hopeful actor was already hustling onto the stage.

“Next!” the unseen director yelled, and the strike team shortly found themselves tumbling back into the alley in a mess of burlap scarf, moldy old coat, and mussed fur. The door slammed behind them.

Slurg snarled. “You’ll be pounding on our door before long, you two-bit Olivier wannabe!”

The wolf-thing groaned, staggering to four paws. The goblin tried to rewind his scarf around his head, shivering in the cold muck of the alley. “Now can we give up?”

Disgusted, Slurg began pacing, wracking his belabored brain. There had to be some way to get to the Gypsy woman their lord and master wanted captured. He growled to himself. Darn it, it’s always so much harder when we have to grab them alive! Ignoring the wind, ignoring his whining subordinates, the toothy monster grimaced and paced, paced and scowled, but could imagine no scheme likely to get them close to their unsuspecting prey this time. He wouldn’t give up, however...not when his place in the new pecking order demanded success! He hadn’t realized he was grumbling aloud until the wolf-thing asked, “Uh...is the boss gonna peck us for failing? I didn’t know he had a beak.”

After five minutes, the goblin gave up trying to intervene and just let Slurg strangle the wolf-thing with the remnants of the coat.
-------------

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
This chapter just made me happy all over. That's not so difficult when you've got such a great story going. The whole first segment, that alone is worth 4, no, what da hey, 5 golden Freds. *Fannish squeee when Telly showed up. *Laughs at the embellished crimes :grouchy: tattled. *Louder squeeee when Grover comes into the picture. And then you go and add Cookie to the proceedings. But the best part is the anticipation of Grover arriving at Apt. 906 and the inanity of how the lockmonster—we can't all be called Smith—goes about doing the job he was hired for. He's hired! He's hired! *Happy dance.

Not to be outdone, we have the return of Captain Slurg's strike team at the Sosilly Theater attempting to abduct one autumn-haired gypsy woman. You boys do know that's the first mistake your Underlord's decided upon fright? I mean, kidnapping the hero's girl to blackmail them into not interfering in your icky plotlines anymore? Sure, that'll stop them for a little while... But it'll only make the hero all that more determined to stop you, rescue the love of his life, and ultimately ruin whatever neatly-proceeding plans you had chugging along until then. Besides... Gina's not one to be crossed, she does have a good source of her own innate supernatural abilities. Oh well, your funeral.

Hope your car gets fixed...
:sympathy: Aagh! Never say "fixed" to a dog!

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------
*tries to imagine what an Edsqueee sounds like*
*is suddenly hearing "The Batty Bat" playing in brain background*

Thankya thankya! I really tried to get the Street gang correct...there will be more of them soon. Hey, they just invited themselves to that party, pretty much...I wasn't even PLANNING that and they go and guilt-trip the frog...sheesh!

The remaining chapters are being carefully plotted. "Okay folks, don some eye protection, we got a lotta loose ends all coming together here!"

"Is this movie A or movie B?"

More soon...
-----------------------

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Part Thirty-Eight

“Hallo! An welcome to zee premierrr rromantic show on ze televeezhon! Ah am your host, Incredibly Handsome Pew!”

The camera cut to a shapeless blue blob in a tuxedo. “Last tahme, our beseeching bachelor Gustar was having much trouble deeciding between zeez duex amazeeng blonde bombeshells, so we gave zem both ze special beauty makeovair!” A clip from the previous show ran while Pew sauntered vaguely in the direction of a faux pillar on the posh mansion set. “And aftair zat, Gustar picked ze one who had ze most work done! Wow, what a fabulous makeovair! Doesn’t she look much more extreme now?” He patted a potted fern, then started back. “Oh! Excuse-moi, Gustar! Ah deed not know you wair ovair here!”

“Uh, I’m over here, Pew,” the blob gurbled from the opposite side of the set, standing next to a leggy blonde with a Fracklish beak and demure, googly blue eyes. She posed in her teeny bikini on what might have been the arm of the blob.

“What ahr you doing on ze set? Go away, or ah shall taunt you to ze best of mah abilitee!” Pew snapped at the fern, then made his way confidently toward the voice of the blob. “So! Gustar, mah friend, do you think zis fragile beauty can fulfill all your slahmiest dreams? Is she indeed monstruous enough for – aagh!” Pew’s shins encountered a low tufted ottoman upstage of the main set, and he beat it thoroughly with his microphone a few minutes, spitting curses. The blob and the girl waited, confused, until the shambling green-scaled thing yelled Cut!

“Durn it, Pew, stop hitting the props!” the creature from the fat lagoon grumbled in a thick swamp accent, removing his headset long enough to waddle on set and steer Pew away from the furniture. “Just do your danged intro, and let’s get into the challenges!”

“Ah waz doing mah intro! Zis clumsy oaf keeps getting in mah way!”

Sighing, the director shambled off. “Camera two, on Gustar; camera three on Babycakes there...and...action!”

Straightening his back into his usual hunch, Pew gestured at the wall behind the blob. “So, Gustar, do you zink that this lovely creachair is indeed ze one you wish to spend your whole lafe with?”

The blob rumbled, a ripple coursing through its jellylike body. “Oh, definitely, Pew! Susan here is perfect for me! I love that cute little beak –“ The girl, with a giggle, leaned over and bit the blob sharply. “Ow! Huh huh...and her venom makes me all wriggly inside.” On cue, the girl spat a stream of sizzling fluid that diffused once it penetrated the slick skin of the blob, and it jiggled all over. “Aww, honey, stop that! Wait for our wedding night!”

“Well! Zat is good to hear, mah flabby friend, but tonight, you will have anozer girl to challenge zis sweet patootie!” Pew whirled, flourishing a hand at the second camera; behind him, a curtain opened and a very reluctant young woman in a tank top and shorts was shoved onto the set by barely-glimpsed furry hands. “Meet Susan! Ahh mah blobby bachelor, who will be ze girl who wins your heart? Er, zat is, assuming you have anything like a heart in zat glob of pudding. Who will our bachelor choose? Stay with us, and find out, you shameless voyeurs! It’s up next, on Ah Married a Monstair!”

The new girl protested as the cameras cut, “My name’s not Susan! It’s Audrey!” Then she saw the shifting, rolling blob as its ten randomly spaced eyeballs began ogling her, and screamed. Her flight was halted by a couple of large furred hands behind the curtain, which shoved her back on-set.

“Morty, keep the fodder in the picture, okay, if that ain’t such an issue?” the director groaned. “Okay, everyone set up for the girl’s profile. Gustar, you wait over there, and we’ll shoot the taste test next, all righty?” The gilled monster took a long gulp from a massive convenience-store cup, and looked around while the crew moved into position. “Where’s the vet?”

“Oh, right here, right here; I didn’t want to interrupt such artistic genius,” Van Neuter said, waving. He stepped forward, and Pew sniffed the air.

“What is zat delicious barbeque? Shicken? Roast pork?” Pew murmured, orienting his body to follow his nose.

“What the hey happened to you?” the director asked at the same time, taken aback.

Van Neuter waved dismissively, chuckling. “Oh, uh, nothing! I just...uh...was experimenting with flammable things again. It’s just a flesh wound.” The normally pale-cream-felted Muppet glowed a bright pink all over, and had swaths of loosening bandages wrapped around him under his severely charred lab coat. A smug-seeming Thatch McGurk trailed after him, carrying a Gladstone bag. “So! Ready when you are, and you’ll be so excited when you see what I’ve cooked up today! She should break out in multiple legs and beady crab-eyes!”

“Great, fine. Stand by to shoot ‘er up,” the director monster said, turning away unimpressed. “Okay, we set yet?” The camera and sound Frackles gave claws-up signs, and the potbellied fishy monster resettled his headphone over a finlike ear. “Okay, Pew, do your – Pew! Stop licking the lab tech! Come on, monsters, focus! We only have this studio for another two hours!” Sighing, the director plumped himself into a sagging chair, and gestured at the techs. “Roll film...aaaaand action!”

“Sorry...ah thought you were someone else,” Pew apologized to a very insulted McGurk, and hastened back to center focus, blundering over one small pink Frackle trying to tape down the cable for another front-light. “So! Susan, tell us a little about yourself! Has it always been your dream to marry a monstair?”

“Wh-what is this place? You – you can’t be real! There’s no such thing as monsters!” the young woman gasped, struggling to lean away from the leering Pew, but she’d been chained hand and foot to the ottoman. She jerked back when Pew tried to sniff her hair. “Get – get away from me, you – you – disgusting thing!”

Pew chortled. “Isn’t she a dahling, mon amis? Ahh, pretty black-eyed Susan, eh? Just look at zat gorgeous green fur!”

The girl glared at him. “What are you talking about? My eyes are brown! And my name isn’t Susan!” She jerked hard at the chains. “Let me go, you creeps! When my boyfriend hears about this, he’s going to kick your a—“

“As ah was saying,” Pew continued, “zis lovely young creachair has an opportunity to go home with our swinging bachelor tonight – if she has ze talent, ze looks, and ze yumminess to win him ovair! So, Susan, I understand you have always longed for a handsome pirate to come sweep you away?”

The director put a hand over his bulbous eyes. “Great. He’s hittin’ on the contestants again. Someone distract him please?”

“Pyoozza bagga breddah!” Thatch complained to Van Neuter, wiping down his wet feathery mane where Pew had tried to find the source of the barbeque scent.

“Well, what do you expect me to do about it, give him some mouthwash?” the vet returned crossly. “Now stop complaining! A hundred other monsters would kill to have your job, you know! Heh...some of them have, but then there was that incident with the giant lobster...oh never mind. Just get the serum ready, would you?” Van Neuter cautiously rewrapped some of the gauze over the burns on his left pinkie finger, wincing. “Oww...and go fetch me more aloe after this!”

Meanwhile, the blob had joined Pew and the trapped girl and was peering closely at her from all sides, his jellied body stretched to allow all of his eyes a good look. “Well, I don’t know, Pew...I mean, if it’s true she can cook, I’m all for that...but just look at Susan!” He angled part of his blobbishness back at the Frackle-beaked girl, who now seemed to be sprouting catfishlike mustaches. “Just look at how much she’s changed to please me! How can Susan measure up?”

“My name is not Susan!” shouted the terrified girl on the ottoman, cringing away from every clammy touch of blobby fingers.

The first Susan tossed her head proudly, showing off her flowing blonde tresses. A couple of them began hissing and slithering over her head. “Ah agree, zat Susan is much prettier,” Pew nodded, “but what about if we give your new girl an extreme monstair-over?”

“Ooh! Oh, that sounds sexy!” the blob exclaimed, quivering. “Show me! Show me!”

“Doctair! Our next challenge will involve being able to crawl on ze ceiling!” Pew said as Van Neuter did his best to look presentable and stepped into the frame. “Can you help zis poor girl achieve that so she may compete to marry zis monstair?”

“Why, certainly!” Van Neuter cried happily, brandishing the huge syringe which Thatch handed him. “Ow...sorry...fingers still a little sensitive, heh heh... Hi there sweetie! Are you ready to be so beautiful it’s scary?”

The director urged the soundfrackles to amp up the receivers to capture every note of the shriek which followed.

Riding his Segway back to the staircase, Van Neuter smiled broadly, though it hurt his burned cheeks to stretch the muscles. “Well! That was fabulous, don’t you think, Thatch? Did you see those prickly feet all poking out of her ribcage? How genius of me to use the wooly caterpillar extract this time!”

“Fabba,” Thatch agreed dully, panting as he lugged the bag alongside the gliding doctor. He paused at the foot of the stairs leading up to the lab, eyes narrowing as he contemplated dragging the heavy equipment all the way up.

Van Neuter stepped off the Segway and handed his ride pass to the sullen, shaggy parking attendant to be punched. “Come on, Thatch, don’t shilly-shally,” Van Neuter said brightly. “Let’s go!” He held his arms open, waiting, but McGurk only gave him a disgusted look. Van Neuter grimaced. “Oh, come on! You don’t expect me to walk up all those stairs in this condition, do you? Come on, monsterback, let’s go!” Grumbling, McGurk knelt and whuffed out a harsh breath as the vet cheerfully climbed on his back for a ride up. The short purple monster staggered to unsteady feet with Van Neuter’s legs crossed over his chest, his hands grasping McGurk’s horns; it didn’t help Thatch’s balance when Van Neuter bounced impatiently. “What’s the hold-up? I need to get back to the lab and make notes on this wonderful triumph of science! Giddy-up!”

A straining monster had managed twenty-five steps up, his legs trembling with effort, clutching the bag in one paw and the rough wall of the staircase with the other, when Van Neuter’s phone rang. “Oh! Oh! Hold still, Thatch; don’t want to walk into a dead spot, reception is so tricky down here – Hello! Hello? Who is it?”

The chill voice on the other end of the call made Van Neuter sit up a little straighter, putting even more stress on Thatch’s shoulders. “I hear you may have perfected your serum, doctor. Is this correct?”

“Oh! Uh, yes! Yes I did! Oh, your dark underarmness, you won’t be disappointed!” Excited, Van Neuter giggled. Thatch stifled a groan, trying not to collapse, but his knees were shaking.

“Excellent. Bring it to me at once.”

Immediately realizing the consequences of imperfection, Van Neuter squirmed. “Er...um...well...that is...I think it works. I mean I’m pretty sure.”

“The hour grows near, and my patience dwindles, Van Neuter,” the underlord growled. A passing centipede, hearing the subsonic tremors of that voice even over a cell phone, squeaked and fled. “Is the serum ready or not?”

“Well, uh...I...I just want one more day to observe the effects, Mr Slipperypants, sir, if that’s all right with you,” Van Neuter begged. “See, I finally thought to cross the wooly caterpillar material with those poisonous conch specimens, which slowed down the process and allowed better manipulation of the inner cells, which, heh heh, as it turns out was the problem all along! See, the serum had been mainly affecting the subdermal layer, not the actual bone marrow, and so –“

“I don’t care about your silly psuedoscience!” the underlord roared; Van Neuter cringed, and Thatch wavered; he tried to plant his feet better, and his claws scrabbled on the wall for balance. “Just come to me within twenty-four hours with a working formula, or else your next experiment will be to discover how many gallons of acid it takes to dissolve you from the inside out in under a minute!”

The connection cut off. Van Neuter recovered what he could of his dignity with a protest: “Wuh...well honestly! Some people don’t understand the delicate nature of my work! I mean, it takes hours and hours of trial and error to find just that perfect balance of—“

Thatch’s foot slipped on the slime coating the stairs. “Waaaaagggaah!” he yelped. Van Neuter screamed like a girl, and the duo went tumbling past the parking attendant, who snarled and gave chase. No one could just waltz past without having their ticket punched!

-----------------
Gonzo paced the corridor, waiting to be allowed on-set. In just a few minutes, the results show would begin filming, and he would discover whether the audience had vaulted him into the final round of the competition. Rosie McGurk watched him with two eyes, the third darting nervously at the guard dog blocking the other end of the corridor outside the largest studio MMN had. “Do you think she voted?” Gonzo asked, the mostly-grown-back feathers atop his head bouncing as he wore a trench in the rock floor. “Do you think she saw my act, Rosie?”

“Shabba,” Rosie assured him, his attention more drawn to the four-headed Doberman with a scorpion tail engrossed in gnawing a large and misshapen bone. The chains securing the beast to the wall didn’t look all that sturdy to McGurk, and he worried that if it became bored or hungry, it might try some monster and Whatever bones out instead.

“Aw, man, the tension is killing me!” Gonzo yelled, making the dog look up. “Why can’t they just open the studio and let us in already?”

“Uh...Gazza...” Rosie gulped, trying to get Gonzo’s attention; two of the dog’s heads were orienting on each of them.

“I mean, come on! What are they doing, mopping the stage? At least let us sit in the audience until it’s time for the show!” Gonzo continued to vent, banging once on the studio door.

“Uh...Gazza!”

The dog slowly stood up; it had to crouch its massive shoulders just to fit in the tunnel. Rosie heard a sickening scraping sound, and realized the giant stinger of a tail was wagging, dragging sparks across the ceiling. One head lowered, sniffing; another growled.

“Seriously! I am an artiste! Is this any way to treat a show’s star performer? Come on! We all know who everyone is really here to see!” Gonzo griped, and pounded again on the door. “Let us in! I’m getting cold feet!”

“Cabba feega?” Rosie asked, surprised enough to forget about the dog for an instant.

Gonzo blinked at him. “No, really...I feel like I’m standing in ice or something!”

Rosie peered into the ruts Gonzo’s frantic pacing had worn into the floor. “Uh...ya stagga en wabbaliya.”

“I’m standing in the...” Gonzo looked down at the chilly sludge trickling by his bare toes. “Water line. Got it.” He smacked a fist against the door. “Come on, you philistines! Let’s rock this mother!”

“Uh...Gazza...” Rosie gulped, poking his daredevil companion. The dog had advanced a step and extended two crinkled muzzles forward, baring large yellow teeth. It stepped on its bone; it snapped and then crunched into tiny bits under the weight of one broad paw.

“Rosie, look, either help me out here or –“ Turning, Gonzo finally saw the dog. “Oh. Hello! Are you here to watch the show?”

“Raaaaaaagh!” the dog snarled, then barked. Loudly. Dust crumbled from the ceiling.

“Waaaaaagh!” Gonzo and Rosie cried, both immediately pounding on the door in earnest.

The door swung open, and a dark, hooded figure stuck out a voluminous black sleeve to gesture angrily. “What! What! We’re about to do a show in here, and you morons are shouting loud enough to wake the...oh. Hey! You’re the Great Gonzo! Okay, you can come in.” The shadowed head poked out of the room far enough to get the dog’s attention. “No pets!” The dog growled, then harrumphed, then lay down in the middle of the corridor again to prevent performers from fleeing.

“Uh...you, uh...you look a lot like someone I met once,” Gonzo said, eyes wide, as he slipped into the room, McGurk close on his heels. “Are you by any chance –“

“Name’s Bob,” the hooded thing said. “Stage manager. You guys go straight backstage, okay? We’re not ready to film yet; the audience won’t be open for another ten minutes, and we’ll start promptly at seven.”

“Uh...sure,” Gonzo said, staring after the figure as it glided off. “Huh...I could’ve sworn he was...”

“Funggah twebba klak,” Rosie muttered, and Gonzo looked dead ahead to see Mungus Mumfrey slithering over the stage, checking the placement of numerous garden spades in a large net and then gesturing at a couple of burly goblins. The goblins heaved on ropes attached to pulleys, drawing the whole batch of sharp objects high above the stage. “Whaffa dugga?”

“Hmm. Must be for his puff piece tonight,” Gonzo mused. “He thinks he’ll be in the final. Hah! Why would anyone vote for a glob of multicelled parasite?”

Rosie shook his head, and the two made their way around the fungus toward the back holding pen. As they passed, Mungus raised a few spores and waved them mockingly at Gonzo, then at the EXIT sign in the audience. “Good luck to you too, pal,” Gonzo retorted. “I think you’re gonna need it!”

Rosie snickered. John Lamb turned at the voices; he’d thrown off his crutches, but as he hobbled toward them, they could see his injury would make further competition difficult. Still, he was a legend, and Gonzo wasn’t sure if the crowds might choose him just to appease their desire to celebrate the past glory of ovine martial arts. “Uh...hi, Mr Lamb. Good luck tonight?” Gonzo said, holding out a hand uncertainly.

The black-wooled ram gave him a haughty look down the end of his muzzle. “Don’t need luck when you’re solid, baby. Try not to immolate yourself in the flames of my glory, a’right?” With a smirk, Lamb squared his already-square shoulders and strode off to the cooler of water bottles being set down now by two very tired Frackles.

Rosie blinked. Gonzo shook his head. “Egotism is rampant in this sport, Rosie,” he confided. “Don’t let ‘em get to you. There’s a trophy I gotta take back to Camilla!”

Shortly, the room filled with sound: audience monsters crowding into the bleacher seats, corn-dog hawkers throwing yipping beer-battered Chihuahuas to patrons, Pew cursing out an amplifier which incessantly stepped right in his way. The trio of contestants paced and eyed one another, confidence warring with doubt in each brain. Snookie Blyer arrived only a few minutes before airtime, deposited on the stage platform by a chortling Carl, the Big Mean BBQ Griller; there was no time for him to wash the spices out of his hair properly, but he snagged two bottles of water from the cooler and upended them over himself in an attempt to look presentable as something other than an appetizer. He shook himself like a soaked dog, shooting a glare at the monsters in the audience who took note of his condition and laughed. When Pew began howling for places, Snookie dried his hands and took the microphone. The judges settled behind their table, the spotlight centered on the host, and the Mutations launched into the theme music. “Grab your popcorn, grab your soda, and take it all into another room so you can avoid seeing tonight’s live results show right here – on Break a Leg!” Snookie shouted, and the crowd roared.

“Gabba da egga,” Rosie whispered to Gonzo, holding up a satchel with a dozen fresh eggs, but Gonzo waved him off.

“No, no – yeah, I know what I said. Forget it. I have a better idea. Here, let me have those...”

“Tonight, folks – and the rest of you in the audience – we will announce the results of your tallied votes and the judges’ scores, and determine who will compete Saturday in the final contest, and who will be on the menu in the studio canteen tomorrow!” Snookie looked out into the roiling mass of fur, claws, and teeth, and wondered whatever had possessed him to go into show business. He doubted Guy Smiley ever had to worry about being eaten by his viewers. Forcing a smile for the camera circling him in closeup, he continued: “So many of you called in to vote that it took all our heads just to keep up!” The feed switched to the phone bank, idle tonight, but manned by a two-headed monster and a triple-header, who waved and grinned. “Once again, let’s say hello to our judges...no matter how much we wish we were saying goodbye instead...”

Gonzo took a few of the eggs out of the bag, weighing them carefully by balancing each on his nose, and finally selecting seven of them which seemed more or less evenly matched. Rosie watched him fussing with them, bewildered. The host introduced John Lamb again; a clip ran of the sheepfighter’s martial arts tour-de-force and embarrassing mishap, and then Lamb himself stepped into the lights and directed four of the stagefrackles to hold thin bamboo sticks upright. He leaped onto them with a grunt and a grimace, then danced to and fro on the tiny tips of the sticks, his hooves clacking, and finally jumped straight up, struck his hindhooves together to create a spark, and ignited all four poles before somersaulting to the stage floor. The audience cheered, but Gonzo could see the ram’s left foot wavering a little, and he was limping as he walked down to the holding pen.

After a commercial break, Mungus Mumfrey repeated his own side-splitting trick, allowing a rain of spades from the ceiling to chop him up before he came back together in a massive, globby pile and bowed to the audience. A few of the crowd, eager to repeat their participation of the previous night, hurled beer cans and half-eaten bags of popcorn at him; one thrown javelin nearly missed Snookie. The fungus’ prior performance was shown on the large screen overhead. Gonzo fidgeted, muttering under his breath, and Rosie kept a worried eye on him.

At last it was the daredevil’s turn in the spotlight. While his clip played, he took a deep breath, cradled a pile of eggs in his arms, and grinned at McGurk. “Watch this, Rosie! This is for my girl!” he exclaimed. He bounced up onto the stage amid cheers, and Rosie winced, crouched at the platform’s edge. How dangerous would this be? It was only supposed to be a puff piece, to tease the audience! Rosie took stock: they’d brought no explosives...no sharp implements...no acid. And yet, after all, this was the Great Gonzo... The pink-furred monster turned light lavender in dread, and stared up at his death-defying ward.

Gonzo beamed at the crowd, bowed, and yelled at the band, “Just try to follow along, guys!” Then he tossed an egg into the air...another, and another, until all seven eggs flew in a circle above his head, the Whatever deftly juggling them. The crowd hushed, curious...and Gonzo began singing.

“You alone, you are my one and only chicken...steady
And if you leave I will alone and lonely sicken, fretting
You and I
We’re a team and that’s a fact
You and I –
What a terrific idea for an act!”

The crowd looked at one another, puzzled. What terrible, death-mocking stunt was this leading up to? Gonzo began dancing, a softshoe toward stage left as he continued to juggle the eggs, working a little variation into their height.

“Camilla!
You’re sweeter than wine or vanilla,
Camilla!
I’ll lie beneath this tree – it’s a willah
Camilla!”

Snookie stared at him. What the hey? How is this daring? What’s he up to? Gonzo shuffled to the other side of the stage, still singing; the monster band seemed at a loss, except for one purple leggy thing who’d picked up a ukulele and was strumming along.

“Camilla!
The night it grows stillah and stillah,
Camilla –
You’re prettier by far than Godzilla
Camilla!”

Gonzo suddenly flipped over, walking on his hands and juggling the eggs with his feet. “I love you chickie!” he yelled. “Bring it home, guys!” The lone musician strummed louder, and Gonzo belted out one last refrain.

“Camilla –
Without you I’d only be illah
Camilla!
Please be only my...little...pillah
Camilla, Camilla, Camilllaaaaaaa!”

As the dumbfounded studiofull of monsters stared, Gonzo righted himself with a flip, and caught all the eggs in his mouth. When he grinned, seven round orbs spread his lips wide. “Fank ooo!” he shouted with his mouth full. “You’ a wonnaful aubienf!” Bowing again, he left the stage. McGurk met him with three wide eyes. “Whaf?” Gonzo asked, thumping down onto a bench and fanning himself with his cape. He carefully removed the eggs from his mouth, and to Rosie’s bewildered gesture at them, responded cheerfully, “Oh, that? Cool, huh? Steve Martin taught me that one. It works better when I play the banjo at the same time, but since it was kinda last-minute...”

“Ooo-kay!” Snookie said, trying to ignore the rumble in the audience. “I guess the most dangerous thing about that was displeasing our studio crowd... Well, after this break, we’ll find out who will be moving up, and who will be mowed under! Stay tuned unless you actually have a life worth living to Break a Leg!”

----------------
At the Muppet Theatre, a blushing chicken lolled on a sofa in the green room. At another chicken’s insistent clucking, Gladys sighed and trudged to the canteen kitchen. “Hey, Chef, got any more of those smelling salts?”

“Hoo? Uhh...doon de speecy-ning sult!” the Chef replied, grabbing a few small jars from a shelf precariously overhanging the grill.

“Seasoning salt? Well, okay...if you think it’ll work...” Gladys shrugged.

Camilla didn’t even react too badly; a few pecks on the Chef’s balding head chased him back to the kitchen, and she resumed her seat by the television, feeling hazy and soft. Nothing mattered except what she’d just seen...not the theatre, not the scatterbrained cook, not even the rumors about the monsters having deserted the troupe she’d heard earlier. Nothing existed for her but the grinning blue thing serenading her in that wonderfully scratchy voice. Now...if only he’d come home.

-------------
“Home free! I’m in! I’m in!” the wolf-thing growled. He peered around. The goblin clambered out of the trapdoor after him, and Slurg shoved the wooden cover completely out of its hole as he shouldered his way up. The wolf-thing sniffed the empty air of the darkened stage. “Uh...she was here, but I can’t tell which way she went...”

“Spread out. Look around,” Slurg commanded. Elated, he swaggered as he explored the Sosilly stage. Pushing the goblin through the sewer pipes had been a chore, but after all, no especial nastiness had smeared his scales that way, and their undetected entry into the theatre promised success! Now if they could only discover where everyone...was... Swinging his long head around in sudden unease, Slurg realized the theatre was deserted.

“Uh...maybe they all went home for the night,” the goblin ventured. He stopped by an open crate and stretched on tiptoe to peer inside. “Looks like they left some props.” He climbed inside the crate while the wolf-thing sniffed around a stool and table center stage. Slurg paced, glaring from the empty seats to the empty catwalk above. A few pale lights lent dim illumination to the whole theatre, but clearly if there had even been a show tonight, it was over.

“Well, we’re in, and we’ll stay in!” he announced. “She’s gotta come back tomorrow, and when she does we’ll be ready for her! Find a hiding place, all of you, and we’ll –“

“All of us? There’s only me and Burt,” the goblin said, drawing a scowl from Slurg. The goblin held up a goofy-looking orange furry thing. “Check it out! Puppets!” Putting his slimy hand into the floppy primate, the goblin began jumping it around, clumsily moving the arms, and squeaking in a high voice: “Oh, Joey, the lemur, he really is swell –“

“Someone’s coming!” the wolf-thing hissed. Before he could bolt offstage, two young men in black clothing threw open the curtain to the green room and strode out. The goblin ducked into the crate. Slurg and the wolf-thing froze, trying to be inconspicuous.

“Glad this stuff’s done and we can get back to some actual theatre soon,” a young man with short chestnut hair and glasses commented. He upended the stool onto the table, and in doing so noticed the wolf-thing. “I mean, look at this crap. Puppet slams? Really?” He grabbed the wolf-thing by the scruff of its neck, immobilizing it as he carried it to the open crate and tossed it in.

“Yeah, tell me about it,” agreed the taller man with pale blonde hair. He spotted Slurg, and laughed. “Check this one out! What’s it supposed to be, an alligator?”

“Got me. Come on, hurry up. The truck’s leaving.”

Slurg gurgled as the man grabbed him by the neck and the tail and heaved him into the crate; before he could protest, the lid slammed down, locks clicked in place, and the two techies hefted the crate between them. “Quit swinging it! Heavy enough without you rocking it all over the place,” Alan complained.

“Nice try, dude. Come on, lift that barge, tote that bale,” Scott returned, chuckling. Together they carried the crate to the waiting U-Haul in the alley and shoved it into the back before the driver slammed the door. “Hey, so where’s this guy playing next? Crosstown?” Scott asked.

The driver consulted his schedule. “Nah – looks like Poughkeepsie.”

“Hope they like dumb-looking puppets in the sticks,” Alan snickered. As the truck pulled out, he clapped his fellow technician on the back. “Wanna come out and toast the end of a stupid month?”

“Sounds great, ‘long as you don’t mind me toasting it with ginger ale.”

“Just don’t sing that d—d Joey the Lemur song again.”

“What song?”

“That thing you were singing. I heard you just a second ago, inside.”

“Wasn’t me, dude.”

They stopped, and slowly looked at the empty alley. The exhaust from the truck could still be seen in the chill, wet air.
-------------------