1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Sesame Street Old School DVD's: Not For Kids

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by Brooklyn, Nov 15, 2007.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I don't think I saw that, but I get the idea. I do detest those commericals, TV shows or movies where the kids are obnoxious smart alecks who are smarter than the goofy adults. They remind me of the nasty popular kids in school.
  2. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_PPHyHDuvI
    It was'nt that the parent was goofy, just sort of a pushover with no mind of their own that the children treat like a stranger :(.
    It's like 'why think, teach, or interact with your child? Just let us do the thinking and buy them things!:attitude: '
  3. heralde

Yeah when the popular TV idols manage to mess up (as they so often do) I have little sympathy for the parents of their young fans. They sit their kids in front of the TV and just trust that it must be OK. Human beings are already much like sheep, hehe, and that's not helping.
  4. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Part of me just wants to raise my future baby on DVDs and books and forget about cable :wisdom:
  5. heralde

I'm already thinking that will have to be the case. I'm not even comfortable showing them the current Sesame Street.
  6. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

*Hee* I'm not even really comfortable watching it myself :p . And I have tried many times. I think the last time I actually enjoyed it was about in 95/96 :sympathy:
  7. heralde

Actually I was just watching a news story where Psych experts are saying that it's important to use the range of your emotions, both happy and sad. That trying to be happy all the time will not work and is not healthy.

I wish Sesame Street would listen to this, instead of suddenly trying to make everything about the show bright and cheery and perfect all the time. I still can't believe the producer said they couldn't create a character like Oscar or Bert today. That's why I don't want my kids watching it. I don't want them watching a show that's essentially about conformity and if you're ever unhappy, something must be wrong with you.
  8. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I know, even the Care Bears were'nt happy all the time, and I heard a parent call My Little Pony 'too scary' on amazon just because it had villains and danger.
    I think little ones need to not only see characters unhappy but see how they deal with it to...
    I miss Mr. Rogers, he always helped with feelings :(
  9. heralde

Once again, I have to quote the parents of South Park, "We must blame them and cause a fuss, before somebody thinks of blaming us!"

And that's very true about the Care Bears, lol. We think they're all about caring and cheerfulness. But I remember a line from their first movie (yeah I'm a geek lol):

"We care about everyone. Even when they don't care about us."

I can't imagine half the kids show today successfully getting that message across. Some, but not many.
  10. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I know ,becuase most of the new show characters are happy all the time it's hard to see them as real characters or feel for them. No wonder many little kids think the shows are 'for babies'. I miss when you could really feel the characters emotions and it helped drive a plot, in place of today when it is:
    "Do you like pizza?" *pause* "You do? Great! Let's find the way to pizza hill!" :search:
  11. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Young kids of the pre-school don't have a sense of what's old and new.

Though they may get confused with some stuff
  12. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

All the more reason to show them older shows to then :)
    Most of the reasons they would get mixed up can be easily fixed if the parents just talk to them :wisdom:
  13. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Um hello? Please remember to keep this thread on topic, discussing the various differences between classic and modern SST, Old School and Current Seasons.
    Thank you.
  14. heralde

Yeah I mean, kids will occasionally get confused by unfamiliar things, that's definitely true. But that's why they ask their parents so they can learn. As opposed to everything being done for them.
  15. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Sorry, I got a little caught up in the moment :)
    Really I don't think the older episodes are all that different from the ones I grew up with in the 80's :).
  16. heralde

Yeah I love both decades. The only differences I see between the '70s and '80s episodes is that the '70s had a bit more of an edge and urban attitude. By the '80s, the show had established itself as a huge phenomenon and sort of tone down a bit (though it was still clearly the city and not Stepford hehe). Also the human characters were getting older. In the '70s, they were 20 or early 30s, hip and carefree etc. You always see Maria studying and she mentioned that David had term papers etc.

By the '80s they were more like your parents; concerned about marriage, grown up conversations and paying taxes etc. Like when they were having a grown up party and Big Bird found it boring because all they did was sit around and talk (as opposed to playing games). I don't think that plot line would have been done in the '70s.
  17. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

If the format of the new episodes was more the the 80's and 90's episodes I would think the only thing you would have to teach a child about is the old humans, why the monsters are different colors and why Elmo has a smaller role :3. Everything else is'nt that awful IMHO:halo:
  18. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Actually, I love Sesame in the late 70's and 80's. First of all, they really took off and became an established show, so they knew what to do and how to use everything. Plus, you got the best of all wolrds in the 80's. They showed classic segments, we had new characters performed by both older and newer puppeteers. Plus, I just loved the parody segments like "Miami Mice" and "Mysterious Theater."

As for old kids not liking old stuff... hey! I didn't even know half the skits I watched as a kid came from the 70's until I saw the old School sets. The Bert playing checkers with Bernice was used up till last year or so, and that was from the late 70's. There's a lot of older skits so timeless, you just can't even tell when they were from. So even with the concern of things being dated (Balderdash!) there are things they can still show.
  19. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

What do you mean they were an establised show by the late 70s and early 80s?
  20. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Established as in it became more mainstream.