1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Sesame Street Character Voice Comparisons

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Canadian Fan, Jan 7, 2011.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

There's still a bit of difference in Marty's performance... it really wasn't until the 90s or so when Snuffyted sounding like the Snuffy now ttoday,t listening to Marty's Snuffy from, say, FTB, and comparing it to any of today's Snuffy, they don't sound quite the same; I think it's a similar case to Telly, it's obvious that Marty tried to sound more like Brian's Telly to begin with before he really made Telly his own, and I think perhaps he was doing the same with Snuffy, because his early Snuffy is a bit quieter, and more whispery like that of Jerry or Michael's.\

And Snudffy's "depression" has been the butt of jokes that continue to this day...

NOSTALGIA CRITIC: He's like a big hairy Dumbo, but with depression!

JIMMY KIMMEL: I think he could use like a bucket of coffee or something.
  2. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Whoops, forgot to finish my sentence in the last post there. I tried to say that it's also pretty funny that Telly went from panicky, to calm, to panicky again when he changed performers (except the former from when he needs his TV fix).
  3. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

I have to agree with you there. I have seen quite a few eps on You Tube and it seems like the earlier Marty Robinson Snuffy back in the days when he was considered 'imaginary,' doesn't sound quite as energetic as he does now. He did have more of a quieter voice back then. Heck, I laugh at the 'Summer of Snuffy' sketch when he had trouble sounding like he was sad. If that had been made during the earlier years, it probably would have been the other way around.
  4. D'Snowth

Oh haha, I remember that one, that was hilarious! Is it on YouTube, or SST's site? I've gotta watch it again!
  5. Daffyfan2003

That's a good question. I'll have to look for that and get back to you.
  6. Daffyfan2003

7. D'Snowth

I can only imagine what a blow to the ego it must have been for Spike Lee to appear on SST, directing Snuffy on how to be sad. ><
  8. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

9. D'Snowth

Are there no available footage of Richard's Elmo?

A&E misidentified Brian's performance in "Me, Claudius" as Richard in their Biography special ten years ago.
  10. antsamthompson9

There's footage of Richard's Elmo in Being Elmo.
  11. Canadian Fan

Canadian Fan Member

Interesting hearing different voices for Elmo. Too bad there wasn't footage of Richard's Elmo on YouTube.
  12. Daffyfan2003

I think there is a way to hear Richard's Elmo. I watched "Follow that Bird" on You Tube recently and noticed him saying "No. No. No." You have to listen real carefully to notice it, so I'm assuming they overlooked that on the DVD. I think that's about the closest we can find. Just thought I'd make that suggestion.
  13. D'Snowth

True. Almost kind of sounds like Scooter with a sore throat.
  14. antsamthompson9

15. Kuriboh Man

Kuriboh Man Active Member

I just read in Muppet Wiki that it was Jerry Nelson who performed Elmo in Me Claudius not Brian Meuhl
  16. Canadian Fan

Canadian Fan Member

I'm glad they finally put a Grundgetta voice comparison. I remember Pam's version more than Brian's (both are good).
  17. D'Snowth

You have to admit, Brian did have a great range of voices... for the longest time, I thought the taxi driver in Ernie and Bert's jungle quest for Dr. Livingston was Rihcard until I found out it was Brian.
  18. antsamthompson9

You read wrong. John was 16 when he joined the Muppets in 1994. The PWMS Ernie bits he did were done in 2003.
  19. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

Well, don't forget that since Kevin Clash started Elmo in 1984, it did sound raspy and a clueless character, but as the years went on, he developed more into a sweet loving character everyone loves today.

Youtube said,
    "Here's Kevin Clash's Elmo (1984-Present)

However, since Kevin left, it will be now (1984-2012)
    About 28 years of puppeteering and performing Elmo

Oh boy, we all sure had a rough year everybody.
  20. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

And now that Jerry Nelson's gone, it's going to be
    Jerry Nelson's The Count (1972-2012),
    if you're deciding to make a voice comparison for The Count whenever his new voice debuts, Canadian Fan.
    That's about 40 years Jerry voiced that particular character.

Jerry Nelson will always be the best voice for The Count. :cry::batty: