Sesame Street censorship

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Yes, but sometimes they bring them back on the show for newer fans (such as the "Baker #10" clip).

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember in some old episodes, the characters used the word, kill. When Cookie Monster was watching the store, David told him not to touch those cookies or he'd kill him. And when Big Bird spilt some milk and birdseed, he was afraid David would kill him. And when Ernie was playing his drums really loud, Olivia said, "Ernie, I will kill you. Now don't start before I kill you!"

I guess they don't use that K word anymore because it's not appropriate for little kids to hear.

Dantecat

Reaction score
Xerus,

(1)What year was those 2 episodes:frown:a)Big Bird split milk and birdseed and(b)Ernie plays drums really loud???

(2)What really really really happened in those 2 episodes???

Because they seem really really really interesting!!!!!! :cool:

dustinrn

Reaction score
Grover Skit

Does anyone remember an old skit about Grover working as a (lumberjack?)? When he comes into the cabin for lunch and tries to take off his boots, the other muppets come in one by one, each time crushing Grover behind the door. Meanwhile, he is still trying to take off his boots while the rest of the crew is eating, and when they finish, they all leave, once again crushing Grover agaisnt the wall with the door. When Grover finally get his boots off and sits down to eat, the cook tells him that there is no more food left. While I assume this skit was meant to be funny, I always found it rather violent. Not to mention the 2 skits about Grover being a door-to-door salesman and trying to sell Kermit a toothbrush/earmuffs. Kermit would tell Grover frogs don't have teeth/ears and consequently, Grover forced a set of teeth and a pair of ears onto Kermit. I guess all of the muppets had their share of violence back in the day. These 3 skits always disturbed me....I'm glad they don't show them anymore, even though they're nothing compared to today's violence on TV. :smile:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Xerus said:
I remember in some old episodes, the characters used the word, kill. When Cookie Monster was watching the store, David told him not to touch those cookies or he'd kill him. And when Big Bird spilt some milk and birdseed, he was afraid David would kill him. And when Ernie was playing his drums really loud, Olivia said, "Ernie, I will kill you. Now don't start before I kill you!"

I guess they don't use that K word anymore because it's not appropriate for little kids to hear.
Are you serious? I don't recall anybody ever saying 'kill' on Sesame Street, especially David, the kindly shopkeeper.

Xerus

Reaction score
Dantecat said:
Xerus,

(1)What year was those 2 episodes:frown:a)Big Bird split milk and birdseed and(b)Ernie plays drums really loud???

(2)What really really really happened in those 2 episodes???

Because they seem really really really interesting!!!!!! :cool:

Here’s how those sketches went.

The first skit happened in the late 70s. Olivia saw that Big Bird was running away. Big Bird explained why. David had to leave and said that Big Bird could fix his own breakfast. But Big Bird accidentally spilled the milk and birdseed on the table and broke a glass. He was worried that David would kill him. But Olivia suggested they go back inside and clean up the mess before David gets back. And that’s what they did. David came back and was now going to fix Big Bird’s breakfast. But David ended up spilling some milk and birdseed and laughed about it. Big Bird calmly said, “Oh David. Everyone makes mistakes. But that’s no reason to run away.” David had no idea what Big Bird meant.

The second skit was around the late 70s too. Bert was in the park singing a marching song with Simon Soundman, Muppet Willy, and Farley marching behind him. But then Bert was interrupted by Ernie’s drumming. Ernie and Bert started arguing while Ernie continued banging. Then Olivia came in and tried to get them to cooperate. She told Bert to start, and told Ernie, “Don’t start before I kill you!” for Ernie was getting wild on those drums. And Ernie and Bert ended up singing a marching and drumming song. And Olivia left in satisfaction.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
dustinrn said:
Does anyone remember an old skit about Grover working as a (lumberjack?)? When he comes into the cabin for lunch and tries to take off his boots, the other muppets come in one by one, each time crushing Grover behind the door. Meanwhile, he is still trying to take off his boots while the rest of the crew is eating, and when they finish, they all leave, once again crushing Grover agaisnt the wall with the door. When Grover finally get his boots off and sits down to eat, the cook tells him that there is no more food left. While I assume this skit was meant to be funny, I always found it rather violent. Not to mention the 2 skits about Grover being a door-to-door salesman and trying to sell Kermit a toothbrush/earmuffs. Kermit would tell Grover frogs don't have teeth/ears and consequently, Grover forced a set of teeth and a pair of ears onto Kermit. I guess all of the muppets had their share of violence back in the day. These 3 skits always disturbed me....I'm glad they don't show them anymore, even though they're nothing compared to today's violence on TV. :smile:
oh comeon they're not violent!