Sesame Street and Fire Drills

wiley207

Reaction score
Yesterday at my college they were upgrading the fire alarms in one of the buildings, and that got me thinking... I've noticed "Sesame Street" has never done a fire drill segment AT ALL. I mean "Arthur" did one, and... I don't know any other shows that did so.

Maybe Baby Bear or Abby Cadabby could be nervous that the Storybook Community School will be having a fire drill because they heard that the fire alarm will be very loud. Many TV shows use bells for fire alarms, and it tends to be unrealistic. Most places either use a buzzer or a high shrill tone for a fire alarm, and many of them also have strobes, so the Storybook Community School would have one of those modern fire alarms. One of the adults (maybe Gina or Gordon) could tell the child Muppet that it may sound scary at first but they help us in knowing what to do in case of a real fire, like how shots keep us healthy. As someone said here once, the Muppet could ask if it'll hurt like a shot, and the adult will say that the loudness of the fire alarm will hurt your ears a little bit, but at least it keeps everyone safe. The only closest thing I know to a fire drill on the series was the fire at Mr. Hooper's store in 2002 with the fire alarm going off. And it would've been pretty cool if "Listen to the Bells" had a fire drill scene at one part, and the Henson boy could sing how that bell would prevent them from burning up in the school!

Is anyone in with this on me? :wink:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I think it's a great idea because I was petrified of fire drills when I was a little kid. I didn't like the loud noise. Somethingl like that probably would've helped me!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, that whole "Elmo Visits the Firehouse" episode where Hooper's Store had a fire was pretty close; besides, I don't know of any little kids these days (or back in my day) that are actually scared of fire drills. Sure they caught us by surprise, and we had to hold our ears in pain because the alarm was so loud, and piercing, but other than that, there was no fear - not even from kindergartners.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, and there was that other special. I forget what it was called but it aired during a 25th Anniversary Marathon. One where Gordon, Elmo and Big Bird visited the firehouse. So, "Sesame Street" has dealt with that kind of stuff in the past.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
There was a marathon? What was it about, what was it like?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Funny thing you should mention this. Today's episode had an animated musical number about what to do in case of a fire. To leave the house and not to come back. Not even to get something you left behind.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
There was a marathon? What was it about, what was it like?
Well, it was back in 1994 to celebrate the 25th Anniversary. I'm not sure if it was nationwide or just my local station, but it started with the Firehouse special. Then I believe they played "Put Down the Duckie: A Sesame Street Special." Then I think they did "Sesame Street Jam: A Musical Celebration" and they had quite a few pledge drives in between. That's about all I can remember.