Votes: 18 39.1%
  • The Love Is Gone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pictures In My Head

Votes: 17 37.0%

• Total voters

tutter_fan

Reaction score
Saying Goodbye is one that definitely makes me cry. It's a sad song for sure.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
"Saying Goodbye" has always affected me since I saw a montage set to that song that honored Richard Hunt on YouTube. Scooter's part especially has a different meaning for me now, in one sense.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Bein' Green is on this list, but it wasn't in any Muppet movie.
I meant to call it what's the sadest Muppet song, but I was originally going to use just Muppet Movies, but I forgot Bein' Green is a sad but famous one from the show, and I forgot to change the title unti I posted it.

Borples

Reaction score
Going to Go Back There Someday is probably my favorite song, and it tends to make me tear up, but I wouldn't exactly call it sad. It's wistful...thoughtful...hopeful. But not quite sad.

Pictures in my Head is a close second, but Saying Goodbye always makes me cry. And if I watch it in the right (wrong?) mood, it makes me sob. I've actually skipped that part of the movie before just because I didn't feel like crying!

PanthraDion

Reaction score
Saying Goodbye and Pictures In My Head are two songs that I think are sad.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I voted for "Saying Goodbye," simply because it epitomizes one of the problems I've always had with TMTM - the concept of the Muppets breaking up (although I realize that's partly what drove the new movie). The fact that it resurfaced in the media coverage of Jim Henson's death only cements the heartbreaking nature of the song, even though it's a good song.

A couple of weeks ago my aunt was given a 10 per cent chance to live and the entire family flocked to her hospital bed - I was stuck at work and found "Saying Goodbye" on YouTube...I almost lost it right in the middle of the office. (Fortunately, my aunt is doing much better now and we're hoping she will be able to have the surgery she needs within a matter of days. But I digress...)

"When Love Is Gone" is pretty sad too, but "Pictures In My Head" actually has a hopeful sound to it when the other Muppets join Kermit and they all musically muse about the thought of getting together again.

I'm genuinely surprised to find "I'm Going To Go Back There Someday" in this poll. I know it comes at a sad part of TMM (the Studebaker breaks down, the Hollywood dream looks dead and Kermit feels like he dragged everybody into a mess) but the lyrics strike me as hopeful and optimistic. This has been a favourite song of mine for many years (I've sung it at a handful of public music performances too) and I liked that one of the regular posters here teamed it up with Jesus' scriptural self-description as "the way, the truth and the life" - I think it has Christian overtones without specifically mentioning God. A neat musical trick, I must say...

Also, I never considered "Bein' Green" to be sad - it can actually be very empowering if you listen to it in the right frame of mind; it's quite an uplifting song on a sad day.

Princeton

Reaction score
"Pictures in my Head" should not be on this list because it's predictable. The audience knew the Muppets would get back together, so it's wasted in the context of the story. OTOH, "Saying Goodbye" is a legitimate sad moment for the opposite reason: in TMTM, there was no guarantee that they would get back together.

As long as Being Green was listed, I'd like to throw in "Old Friend,Dear Friend" from The Christmas Toy.