Rumor: The Muppet Wizard of Oz

beaker

Reaction score
Oh I know JHC nor any other company takes unsoliticed material. What I am hoping is that someone uses something, even if its 'coincidental' down the road.
I want someone to rip me off, heh. If nothign else I will just post it here, as I think a lot of peopel woul dfind it at least amusing(ie: it contains all the ingredients to make ya stand up in your seat again) I worry where JHC is headed...I was excited up until a point...but now I dont know anymore. Excpet for merch, what is there to be excited about?

Oz...well I know what they are going to do. They are gonna load it up with a bunch of lame 'of the moment' pop culture references, mild sexual inuendo, some nods to obscure characters and Muppet history(for the diehards) but overall it will suck...and we'll be arguing for 25 pages about how cool it was they included all those obscure characters, but how the movie could have been so much more. Either that, or it will be the greatest thing JHC has ever done...Im gonna go with the former though:wink:

fozziecub

Reaction score
Muppets from Oz

Hey every buddie

Muppets from OZ, i think that might work although i prefer The Wiz as they already have songs and dances,

an idea

a few months ago i posted an idea for a muppet movie on here, it involved muppets that have been mysteriously disapearing and no one notices

basic working title ***muppets temple of doom***

Opening singing sequence, Piggy sings anything goes, hero, Kermit as Injiana Frog, Gonzo and Rizzo storytelleres as they did this very well in the muppet christmas carol(re release on dvd disapointing as Lobve is gone song was cut :mad: ), and Scooter as the little chinese side kick guy, Spamela as the top main unseen till the end baddie, lots of scary bits, excitement, laughs and courageous resuces, as well as the rollercoaster chase scene, oh you ask what this has got to do with me previous idea, well kermit could disover the missing muppets have been enslaved, the idea could star as scooter has appeared after having being vanished for many years, now it would be good to give scooter a headline in the movie as one of themain characters as he used to be a popular mupppet show star but fizzled away and need a re-boost.

any other suggestions to this story would be great, maybe us the muppet fans should finally get to write out own muppet move for mr brian henson to write. :embarrassed: wakka wakkka

JamieDenny

Reaction score
Whilst I think the Muppets were right on the ball with IAVMMC, it might be fun to see them do a version of Wiz of Oz.
This of course brings up deep philsophical questions about JHC and the Muppets.
Does Oz, if it is true signal a return to Child Orientated Muppets?
Personally I feel this would be a mistake, the original Muppet fans have grown up, I see no reason why the Muppets shouldn't make that journey with them.
Besides why has Kermit been touring the late night talk shows, *apart from plugging Muppet Dvds* If the Muppets are only interested in capturing the kids of this generation?
The key to the Muppets is that they have been aimed at both adults and children.
I read someone talking about Sesame Street, and saying the reason it was popular was because it was aimed at children but didn't make the adults in the room feel stupid.
The Muppets have always had their fair share of jokes aimed at adults that will go over kids heads, if you doubt this the check out MTM when Kermit and the gang are in the crooked producers office, three lines of very adult humour involving rowlf, Kermit and the producer.
All Im saying is that there is room for compromise in Muppetland.
Jamie

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think someone else's idea was:

Scene: The Muppet Theater
Plot: The Muppets attempt to do a stage version of The Wizard of Oz, but while action goes on on-stage, we also get Backstage Scenes.

This I can live with, but it's also an extended version of The Muppet Show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
beaker said:
Oh I know JHC nor any other company takes unsoliticed material. What I am hoping is that someone uses something, even if its 'coincidental' down the road.
I want someone to rip me off, heh. If nothign else I will just post it here, as I think a lot of peopel woul dfind it at least amusing(ie: it contains all the ingredients to make ya stand up in your seat again) I worry where JHC is headed...I was excited up until a point...but now I dont know anymore. Excpet for merch, what is there to be excited about?

Oz...well I know what they are going to do. They are gonna load it up with a bunch of lame 'of the moment' pop culture references, mild sexual inuendo, some nods to obscure characters and Muppet history(for the diehards) but overall it will suck...and we'll be arguing for 25 pages about how cool it was they included all those obscure characters, but how the movie could have been so much more. Either that, or it will be the greatest thing JHC has ever done...Im gonna go with the former though:wink:
Personally, I'd rather see that than what I was thinking...

The Muppets Play third to human actors an seem like they've been writen in for marketing value, and we only see new characters and first string characters.

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
Here's an idear . . .

Although I would love to see the rich, patchwork quilt tapestry of the muppet characters applied to OZ (scarecrow kermit, Fozzie the Cowardly Bear, etc.,) here's a different idea:

What if JHP did The Wizard of Oz as it's own universe, ala Dark Crystal or Labyrinth? someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't JHP Creature Shop create characters for Disney's Return to Oz? I know that Brian Henson was involved as a performer.

The "Muppet Treatment" would be really cool, fer sure, really. But I don't know - if given the opportunity to make a new Oz film, If I were the head cheese, I'd want to pull out all the visual stops and really put my craftspeople, artists, and performers to work. They've got the skills, as we see everytime a MAJOR MOTION PICTURE calls for ultra-realistic puppetry. I'd really like to see those amazing skills come to the fore again, as they did in Dark Crystal and Labyrinth.

Anyway, just an idear.

--Scraps

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Exciting update!

Hey, guys, just got this from Secret Squirrel over at TP:

"Wizard of Oz. It's for ABC. Kirk will direct."

For those of you who don't know, Secret Squirrel is an anoymous poster who may work for the Henson Company (Phil may know for sure; we don't). At any rate, his info has always been 100% accurate in the past. So as far as I'm concerned, his words are as good as gold. This is actually going to happen!

I'm fascinated that this isn't happening at NBC. I guess the numbers weren't good enough to justify the 3-picture deal. (And it's not just a typo. Someone asked Sec. Squirrel to confirm, and he/she said ABC definitely.) Also fascinating that they're going to be on a Disney-owned network. (Wonder if that had any bearing on the decision to do a storybook adaptation again, or if that was decided before the network agreed to the deal?) Don't know if working with Disney (in a manner of speaking) is any kind of sign for the future; it may mean nothing at all. But it's just interesting to see what's developing.

No word yet on whether ABC will insist on overloading the TV-movie with pointless celebrity cameos.

beaker

Reaction score
Chilly Down said:
Don't know if working with Disney (in a manner of speaking) is any kind of sign for the future
"Reflecting the success of (Rivkin's) efforts to date, we are now in advanced discussions with a number of prospective strategic partners, and we expect to announce the culmination of those efforts in the very near future," Brian Henson said."

Chilly Down said:
No word yet on whether ABC will insist on overloading the TV-movie with pointless celebrity cameos.
I would place all the money in the world on it:wink: