Rowlf on Sesame?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember reading a post on the Yesterdayland website that in the old Jim Henson "Baker" (Let's sing a song of____(number)) skits, one featured Rowlf the Dog saying "Nine Lights" I asked if it really was Rowlf, and not Just Jim doing Rowlf's voice for a voice over. I felt embarassed when they told me it was. It was like "DUUUUDE! What planet are you from?" I wasn't insulted, mind you (uncomfortable yes, but not insulted) I couldn't beleive a Non-sesame Muppet was on the show (besides Kermit, the frog of all trades) I never saw a Baker skit before. I do remember though, on the Jim Henson tribute, Rowlf and Kermit discussing the show (what to call it) and Rowlf mumbes, "My entire career as a Televisoin educator, nipped in the ...." (Kermit cuts him off, says it should be Sesame as in Open Sesame) Weird!

dwmckim

Reaction score
Keep in mind that those Song of Nine type sketches were from Sesame's first season (1969) so some of the Muppets used for previous Henson projects made cameo appearances...heck Cookie Monster & Grover were part of their "trunk puppet" monsters before they got their personalites/names! Other Muppet Monsters (most notably Beautiful Day Monster) had popped up during that first season as well as Splurge and Snerfs.

Up until Sesame, Rowlf was probably the most well-known Muppet because of his Jimmy Dean days so it was also a bit of a "celebrity cameo"

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
DW,

Hey,
I never knew that Splurge made a cameo on Sesame Street, Was it theFull Body Puppet or the smaller Live Hand Puppet ?

Thanks

See ya

Joggy

Reaction score
Splurge was in a scene about "little" and "big" with Kermit and two sizes of Beautiful Day Monsters (Frank and Harold). And in one 1969 scene with Bert and Ernie, Beautiful Day was called Splurge. He had to jump through a hoop to earn a cookie.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Joggy,

Oh thanks for explainging Jog.

So the real Splurge was never on the show ?

See ya

dwmckim

Reaction score
It was Splurge himself in that Kermit big/little sketch.

Splurge

Reaction score
Originally posted by Joggy
Splurge was in a scene about "little" and "big" with Kermit and two sizes of Beautiful Day Monsters (Frank and Harold). And in one 1969 scene with Bert and Ernie, Beautiful Day was called Splurge. He had to jump through a hoop to earn a cookie.

In the "little/big" demonstration, I appeared behind Kermit and apparently scared him away. I just wanted to pat him. I like to pat frogs, I'm just not very good at it.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Dave + DW

Hey Thanks guys,
I thought Joggy ment that it was all the Beautiful Day monster !

See ya

MJTaylor

Reaction score
I didn't see the number nine sketch until I was 16 and by then, The Muppet Show had come and gone. I remember I got quite a shock when Rowlf came along and said, "Nine lights." I said out aloud, "What's Rowlf doing on Sesame Street?"

BTW, there was also a recent show where Bob was going to leave Sesame Street to play the piano for a visiting opera singer, but at the last minute he got cold feet. Then he said that he knew of a piano-playing dog named Rowlf. Anyone else remember that one?