Rare animated films (not shown on Noggin)

Zet

Reaction score
Ali Baba abierto

Here's another fave.
It's very short...you hear "arabic" music, Ali Baba on horse rides up to cave.

Ali Baba: "(says some words in spanish I don't know)...abierto".

(harp sound effect)

Ali B: "...Sesamo"

(creaking sound effect as cave opens, then "sparkly" sounds as you see riches inside)

then the 40 thieves ride out of the cave on horses, shouting, and trample poor Ali.

He raises his head (abrasions visible) and holds sign "ABIERTO" while he mumbles..."ah...eh...ai...abierto..."

you hear the arabic music come in and fade...

I remembered his pathetic "abierto" at the end ever since childhood :sympathy:

anyone recall?

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Zet said:
Here's another fave.

(harp sound effect)

(creaking sound effect as cave opens, then "sparkly" sounds as you see riches inside)

then the 40 thieves ride out of the cave on horses, shouting, and trample poor Ali.

He raises his head (abrasions visible) and holds sign "ABIERTO" while he mumbles..."ah...eh...ai...abierto..."

I remembered his pathetic "abierto" at the end ever since childhood :sympathy:

anyone recall?
Hey, Zet!

Are you going to hypnosis therapy to remember these or something? Every time you describe one of these I can see it in my head, either crystal clear, or I struggle for the details like a faded dream, but THEY'RE ALL IN THERE! I've heard that everything you've ever seen or heard is still somewhere in your head, and now you're proving that to me clearly. I've been waiting for some old goodies in a trade I've made and I'm hoping to see some of this stuff. When I read the Unpaved book last year my memory was jogged several times, like remembering the counting yellow dots on the blue background. That one I remember seeing constantly, but I can't remember it very clearly. Oh well, that's just one example, and I'm sure being part of this forum will help me remember tons more.

later
eric

p.s. are you up for a friendly avatar war?

Zet

Reaction score
Smy Guiley said:
Hey, Zet!

Are you going to hypnosis therapy to remember these or something?
Hi Smy...lol no, but maybe that's a good idea?
Some of them I can remember from childhood because they stuck in my head (same for everyone else I'm sure), others I have copies of.

Smy Guiley said:
Every time you describe one of these I can see it in my head, either crystal clear, or I struggle for the details like a faded dream, but THEY'RE ALL IN THERE! I've heard that everything you've ever seen or heard is still somewhere in your head, and now you're proving that to me clearly.
yeah I hear you...you'll hear about some and instantly remember them "of course I remember that", like how could you have forgotten?
What's crazy is with the number of different films on Sesame, who knows what we have logged away but will never remember? There's a lot of them.

Another thing I think about: with Sesame Street being translated into so many countries, how many people world-wide have seen some of the more popular ones (i.e. Capital I)? I don't know how many have been translated for the foreign versions of Sesame Street, but I know Jazzy Spies is one example that has. Those films might be some of the most viewed films in the world, but you can't find them on DVD/VHS. This is true for Muppets and live films too of course.

Smy Guiley said:
When I read the Unpaved book last year my memory was jogged several times, like remembering the counting yellow dots on the blue background. That one I remember seeing constantly, but I can't remember it very clearly.
there are a few of the counting dots series on the 1st episode of Sesame, which people have both from Noggin and an "uncut" copy that's also floating around...so that shouldn't be hard for you to track down.

Smy Guiley said:
p.s. are you up for a friendly avatar war?
not sure I follow you...you mean making new avatars? If that's what you mean I'm afraid I've already lost. Sounds like fun, only the camera I borrowed to make mine kills fresh batteries after literally about 5 minutes!
:stick_out_tongue:

-Z

Saginaw

Reaction score
Posted by Zet - Today at 07:52 PM
Here's another fave.

(harp sound effect)

I remembered his pathetic "abierto" at the end ever since childhood

anyone recall?

It kinda rings a bell, Zet, especially the last part.

By the way, you've probably been asked this like, I dunno....A BAJILLION times :wink: but what is your avatar, because it certainly looks familiar to me. I know I've seen that from classic Sesame Street back in the good ol' days. Thanks.

--Saginaw the Tired

Splurge

Reaction score
Interestingly enough. I saw that air on Plaza Sesamo months ago.

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Zet said:
not sure I follow you...you mean making new avatars? If that's what you mean I'm afraid I've already lost. Sounds like fun, only the camera I borrowed to make mine kills fresh batteries after literally about 5 minutes!
:stick_out_tongue:

-Z
Oh, that's OK. I just thought that since you had one of the coolest avatars you had access to more neat stuff like that. I'm going to keep changing mine just to keep folks on their toes! (Notice I changed it last night?) I've got a decent video setup hooked up to my computer for editing and the like so I just take it for granted sometimes. So, since you can only make the one avatar you sure chose correctly...I'm noticing how many people are asking you about it!

later
eric

Zet

Reaction score
Saginaw said:
By the way, you've probably been asked this like, I dunno....A BAJILLION times :wink: but what is your avatar, because it certainly looks familiar to me. I know I've seen that from classic Sesame Street back in the good ol' days. Thanks.

--Saginaw the Tired
No prob Saginaw....It's from a stop-motion film that I believe was done by Jim Henson (did the man ever rest?). An orange jumps out of a basket of fruit, and moves accross kitchen counter while objects fly onto it's face to form features (rubber band, walnut, mop, flower petals, bottle caps). Then the lights dim ("crowd" applauds) and orange begins to sing from the opera "Carmen". At a certain point the orange can't hit the correct note and tries over and over until it's eyes roll and the mop wig flies off. Then the orange sings the right note ("lamour!") and finishes to applause. Another of my all-time faves :smile:

Zet

Reaction score
Smy Guiley said:
Oh, that's OK. I just thought that since you had one of the coolest avatars you had access to more neat stuff like that. I'm going to keep changing mine just to keep folks on their toes! (Notice I changed it last night?) I've got a decent video setup hooked up to my computer for editing and the like so I just take it for granted sometimes. So, since you can only make the one avatar you sure chose correctly...I'm noticing how many people are asking you about it!

later
eric
thanks Eric...if I could make more easily I would. It's fun but way too time consuming with the camera I have.

I like the purple hand one...that was intriguing (and slightly disturbing) for me as a kid :big_grin:
-Z

Saginaw

Reaction score
Zet, I remember that. :big_grin: Thank you.

You have such an incredible memory of classic Sesame Street that I believe you and a few others here could be the key archivists. I'd vote for ya! :wink:

I remember another short clip, but it wasn't animated. See if you can remember it, too. I hope y'all don't mind.

All it featured was a hand (it looked like a man's hand), but there was a female voiceover. The voice described how the hand could do things, like wiggle it's fingers, wave, and so on, and the hand did those things. Then the voice described how the hand was lonely, whereby another hand appeared, introduced by some type of organ-like synthesizer music (it was very pretty music). Then the two hands clapped, first slowly, then quickly, then the sound of applause filled the air, then subsided.

By the way these posts are going, I'm gonna bet that those were Jim Henson's hands and that was another one of his interesting and creative ideas.

He sure was greatness. :cool:

--Saginaw the Clean

Censored

Reaction score
Zet said:
ahh LOL I'd forgotten about the witch part...nice, thanks.
I remembered she succeeded in holding the cat before the milk, but it was angry (hissing or struggling).
You don't by chance have this (the original one) do you GeeBee? It's one of the few I remember & don't have on tape (e-mail me if you like).

I can only guess that when they remake a film like that it's because the licensing (or whatever the correct term is) for the original has expired...especially since the remade version in this case looks no more "modern" than the old one ("dated" being the argument I've heard as to why some films are no longer shown, and why some classic films are overdubbed with new sound effects or even new music).
-Z

Hi, Zet. Glad I could help with the memories. Unfortunately, they are just that. I don't have either of those old cartoons. Hopefully we can get them soon. Take care.