Pigs singing the Happy Wanderer

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Since nobody has of yet responded to this question I asked later on within my previous thread about Songs done by the pigs on the show I thought I'd post it on its own.
Do any of you remember the time when they performed this favourite song of mine on the John Denver episode and what did you think of it?

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Incidentally I've been recently wondering who had the idea for this excellent sequence? I heard once that the late John Denver had quite a unique sense of humour and the thought has occurred to me that The Happy Wanderer may have been his own personal suggestion to the Muppeteers.
Can anyone shed some light on whether this is true or exactly whose clever idea was it please?

Fraggleforever

Reaction score
Actually, I remember on the special that I bought on tape a few years ago, "John Denver and the Muppets, a Rocky Mountain holiday," Animal sang a few lines from the song while carrying the Muppet's "bare essentials."
Animal: Valderie!
Valder ah ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha! Valderie!!

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Fraggleforever said:
Actually, I remember on the special that I bought on tape a few years ago, "John Denver and the Muppets, a Rocky Mountain holiday," Animal sang a few lines from the song while carrying the Muppet's "bare essentials."
Animal: Valderie!
Valder ah ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha! Valderie!!
I've never seen that special but that's very interesting. And thank you for giving me a reply. I've been hoping to see this thread start in earnest for a little bit of a while now.:smile:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
Incidentally I've been recently wondering who had the idea for this excellent sequence? I heard once that the late John Denver had quite a unique sense of humour and the thought has occurred to me that The Happy Wanderer may have been his own personal suggestion to the Muppeteers.
Can anyone shed some light on whether this is true or exactly whose clever idea was it please?
Three of the pigs are ascending a mountain singing the song. During the chorus the one on the end suddenly falls off. The other two naturally have had a bit of a shock and caution each other to be very careful but after another verse again during the chorus the second one falls off. The last one is starting to feel very fearful and whimpers during his solo verse and chorus but he is relieved to find he has kept his footing but just as he wraps up the song two great big huge enormous boulders come cascading down on top of him. This is I feel by far the best comedy number TMS ever had.
I wanted to give you a chance to reply before I gave a description of it but now can anyone tell me whose idea exactly it was and whether you like it too please?

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
Just for the record I have now found out that John himself had nothing to do with the writing of the Pigs in the Alps sketch. I still don't know with any certainty whose idea it was but I've heard that it was probably either Jerry Juhl(may he rest in peace) or Chris Langham.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Dil since you love the Happy Wanderer performance so much I thought I'd bump this old thread of mine up to give you a chance to see it

Bill "Marty" Bubble Guy