Photo Replica Speculation - Coming next?

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
Is there anyone with more information on this?

It will explain it here:

www.puppetheap.com

Go to News and it says this:

February 1, 2006

Muppets

Puppet Heap is pleased to report that we have officially sealed the deal to take on the task of servicing the Muppets and “Bear in the Big Blue House” for Muppets Studio, the division of the Walt Disney Company that now produces the Muppets. Not only is this a great honor to play small part in the history of these treasured characters, but for some of us it represents an opportunity to return to work we had thought long since left behind.

Bear Man

Reaction score
It will explain it here:

www.puppetheap.com

Go to News and it says this:

February 1, 2006

Muppets

Puppet Heap is pleased to report that we have officially sealed the deal to take on the task of servicing the Muppets and “Bear in the Big Blue House” for Muppets Studio, the division of the Walt Disney Company that now produces the Muppets. Not only is this a great honor to play small part in the history of these treasured characters, but for some of us it represents an opportunity to return to work we had thought long since left behind.
Yeah I saw that, but it still doesn't explain why they are able to refuse to share the molds with MR.

MWoO

Reaction score
My guess is that the molds are owned by Puppet Heap even though the character is owned by Disney. Piggy is an intellectual property while the molds are physical property that took money to make. Disney pays for the services of Puppet Heap and may even own the actual puppets, but not the tools used to make them. Now if Disney buys Puppet Heap, that's different.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Disney really aren't making the effort, are they? Why buy the rights to characters that they have no way of reproducing themselves?

As far as popular characters, in the UK Kermit, Piggy and Animal adorn mugs, t-shirts and posters more than any of the other characters. Fozzie and Gonzo get included every so often too but not many of the characters get a look in unless its a large group shot. I think Animal being the next replica is a sound financial idea. Gonzo and Fozzie next, then probably Piggy. Anybody's guess is as good for after that!

Bear Man

Reaction score
My guess is that the molds are owned by Puppet Heap even though the character is owned by Disney. Piggy is an intellectual property while the molds are physical property that took money to make. Disney pays for the services of Puppet Heap and may even own the actual puppets, but not the tools used to make them. Now if Disney buys Puppet Heap, that's different.
I guess that's the only thing that makes sense - although it seems a funny loop for Disney not to have closed. Many companies place a clause in their contracts with contractors and employees that they (the company) will own both the intellectual and physical results of labour done for that company. I guess I'm just trying to work out why they would share the patterns for the foam and fleece characters, but not the mold for Piggy.

Not that it matters, of course...I'm just always intrigued by these behind-the-scenes wranglings.

MWoO

Reaction score
Who knows why, and like i said it's only a guess. It's possible that the patterns were bought by Disney from the Jim Henson Company but Puppet Heap actually made the piggy molds themselves. The patterns are more intellectual property while the molds are something Puppet Head made themselves.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
There's more than one way to get a Piggy head mold. Let's just say that Puppet Heap's refusal won't be an impediment to making a replica.

:stick_out_tongue:

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
Hey if Keeermit can do a fantastic job of doing Piggy's head out of Antron Fleece and not foam, I am sure anything is possible. I think he did a incredible job of recreatiing her with different material. :wink:

Muppet Loverr

Reaction score
... He did say that him and a friend will be working on Piggy after they are done with Fozzie. Terry said that "Puppet Heap" will not let them use the mold's for Piggy so that will be a obsticle they will have to work out.
Did he say the price rage with Miss Piggy? :concern: :mad:Thet should be albe to use mold, Piggy isn't owned by Puppet Heap