Our own puppet characters

mkelley

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
I also should say that while it's flattering to be called "the #1 puppet answer guy around here" I think it's a bit of an overstatement! There are a number of folks who post here who are much more knowledgable than I am including rickly, butchcat and toastcrumbs among others. I think I just tend to post a lot.

Also, many more puppeteers and builders are "lurkers" - they read the forum but don't post to it.
Yes, but you've said nothing to dispute my statement -- you *are* the guy who consistently answers the question. That isn't to say that others don't contribute, but you can always be counted on to not leave people hanging. Plus, I would also say that your frequent posts about upcoming events and jobs does a terrific service.

I understand what you mean about dealing with videotape -- it's always better if we can avoid that -- but I also would hate to cut some folks out completely. Perhaps for this first go around we should accept tapes (VHS/Super 8/mini-DV and with return postage if people want the tape back) and then in the future require FTP'd submissions only. That way people can at least give it one try and if they find they want to participate again they can get the setup they need.

If so, I'm willling to do any NTSC conversions needed -- folks can email me and I'll provide my address. Other than that I'm on board with everything anyone wants to do (and now I have to start getting my puppets in shape for a show :>)

jediX

Reaction score
mkelley said:
Yes, but you've said nothing to dispute my statement -- you *are* the guy who consistently answers the question. That isn't to say that others don't contribute, but you can always be counted on to not leave people hanging. Plus, I would also say that your frequent posts about upcoming events and jobs does a terrific service.

I understand what you mean about dealing with videotape -- it's always better if we can avoid that -- but I also would hate to cut some folks out completely. Perhaps for this first go around we should accept tapes (VHS/Super 8/mini-DV and with return postage if people want the tape back) and then in the future require FTP'd submissions only. That way people can at least give it one try and if they find they want to participate again they can get the setup they need.

If so, I'm willling to do any NTSC conversions needed -- folks can email me and I'll provide my address. Other than that I'm on board with everything anyone wants to do (and now I have to start getting my puppets in shape for a show :>)
I'd volunteer my video capture and DVD creation services but it looks like everything's under control with you guys...

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Also, although I'm OK with it, some people also have historical/moral objections to Thanksgiving as well.
Yeah, Yeah... that's why I thought it would be fun for me to do. *evil grin*
I'm Native American and completely appalled at the public school system for trying to teach my child that we should all be thankful for the arrival of those dag-nabbin ships and their hostile take over of our home. They sweep the TRUE story of that event under the rug and make it look like the Natives were best friends with Columbus and his crew. Oh Yeah, we LOVED being forced out of our homes, our women raped, and entire race nearly wiped out. Ehm..... anyway... thats about as political as I'M going to get. lol

(For those of you concerned that I'm raising angry childred *grin*, we DO celebrate being thankful of things we have in life and family during the entire weekend. We usually take a trip with the kids to something exciting in Orlando.) :wink: ...... Hey, by the way buck, some interesting info..... My dad was born on the Maliseet reservation in Canada near New Brunswick.

Buck-Beaver said:
I'd like to be safe and say we'd start on the 27th, just because I have a brutal week ahead of me and that will allow for enough time to get everything set-up properly.
Are you talking about the 27th of THIS month being the deadline? Or is that the 27th of November?

Oh..... my vote is still for friendship.

mkelley

Reaction score
Puppetplanet said:
Yeah, Yeah... that's why I thought it would be fun for me to do. *evil grin*
Are you talking about the 27th of THIS month being the deadline? Or is that the 27th of November?
/QUOTE]

I think Buck's saying his server will be in shape to start receiving uploads Oct. 27th -- but I don't think anyone's talking deadline.

Perhaps we should make this clear: my own thinking was this would be a rather open-ended project, at least for the time being. Videos would come in and be added as they arrive. Indeed, some folks might want to review previous content and base their submissions on what had been done (point/counterpoint, or just self-referential in the context of the project as a whole). It would, in essence, "evolve" over the course of time.

If this isn't what others have in mind we should get a consensus now, but the open approach means a couple of things to me: it allows folks to make their own timetable for contributions, it gives the project a chance to weave together (as folks observe what has come before them) and it also essentially means it's a living project that never ends (although at some point Buck might want to say it's "done" and close it off).

If it works then other themes can be started and multiple threads can exist -- in some ways it's like a forum for expressing art. Just as in a forum, threads can die off through lack of interest, or be revived by new folks dropping by, and new threads can be started. Obviously this is a big-picture type view: if it truly grows that much I doubt whether Buck or any one individual is going to want to maintain a server and the effort to manage things single-handedly, but that's a bridge that's best crossed down the road (to mix metaphors).

And I would *love* to see what you'd come up with, Michele, in terms of a Thanksgiving theme take. But if we were going to suggest a theme along those lines, what I would suggest would be a more general theme of just "holidays". That could be more inclusive and while it *might* get political there's nothing wrong with that either (art does tend to be controversial, no question about that :>) The advantage of using a theme of "holidays" is that it also can remain open and not dated to any particular period of time (and think of the interesting things people around the world can contribute in terms of local holidays and customs that are not as well known as others).

I'm just anxious to get this thing started -- I really think it has a lot of potential.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
mkelley said:
I think Buck's saying his server will be in shape to start receiving uploads Oct. 27th -- but I don't think anyone's talking deadline.
Ooooohhhh, Okay. I get it. It would be cool if this was an ongoing thing. I know it depends alot on keeping up group interest. I think it would help to do that if we continue to allow voting on the subject matter so that everyone gets a chance to participate in a theme that they are interested in.

I do think that it should be kept organized though. Not a free for all with people sending in videos on anything at their whim. I think we should have a different theme every month or so.... and have a deadline for submissions for that theme and then move on to the next theme.

mkelley said:
And I would *love* to see what you'd come up with, Michele, in terms of a Thanksgiving theme take.
Oh, it would be tasteful, in a dark satire kind of way. No puppets will be harmed in the making of any vidoes, I promise.... not even the white ones. *laughing* But, I think it's a strong subject matter for me and probably not a good idea to showcase a new project with strong political content the first time around.... might scare some newbies off. *evil grin*

mkelley said:
I'm just anxious to get this thing started -- I really think it has a lot of potential.
I agree! I'm getting excited about it already and my personal puppets are already packed away for the move! Now.... where did I put that box anyway?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think what is probably best is to have a theme per month, but allow people to do whatever they want with the theme within the time alotted. That should keep things focused and managable.

If people just want to upload or share puppet videos of whatever they want there are already a number of venues on the web to do that like Atom Films, Zed, and The Puppet Forge. The goal here - I think - is to virtually collaborate on a free-form "experimental" film with segments contributred by all of us.

Also, I think it's important that once submitted eveything will be in the public domain, i.e. no one owns the footage. Everyone would retain copyright over the actual puppets/characters used but the video can be freely copied and distributed. This is necessary for a varietry of reasons (legal among them). Public domain is the standard for this type of collaborative `net project anyways.

I should probably either do some research on the legal issues or email my lawyer about it this week.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
*pokes head in*

Psssst, interest hasn't been lost on my end.

*gets tangled in curtain on way out and falls down the stairs*

Beauregard

Reaction score
Puppetplanet said:
wish I could participate but I have no idea how to make my own video. =(
I don't have a video camera.

But, I'd have loved to be involved. I have a great puppet named Super Gran.

mkelley

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
I don't have a video camera.

But, I'd have loved to be involved. I have a great puppet named Super Gran.
Yes, but surely someone you *know* has a video camera (everyone does, nowdays -- just ask your uncle Norman to borrow his). Or, as Buck says, you can get a web cam (although the res is pretty low they *are* cheap). Or rent a camcorder for an afternoon. Or, if you live in the United States, go to any public access station and use *their* equipment (sometimes you have to take a class or two to get certified, but it's all free).

Don't give up -- there are always ways to do most anything you want to accomplish.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
OK, so I've named this little project "The Open Source Puppet Film Project." I'm sure someone can come up with something snazzier and if you do you are welcome to suggest a new title.

I think I've got all my web site issues straightened out and the new forum is online so we should be ready to go. I am still trying to figure out what the best way for everyone to submit videos online is, but I'll have that figured out by the end of the month. The only catch with this is that anyone participating will have to register with the forum so we have some way to track people, which I think is reasonable.

I've put together a set of rules (based on our discussion here and a few legal necessities) and posted a thread for this on my new forum, The BT Community. I've also posted a poll with some possible topics for November. If you'd like to suggest a topic you should be able to topics to the poll once you've registered. If for some reason you can't, just post the suggestion in the thread and I'll add it manually asap.

BTW, if you were a member of the old Bear Town Forum on Proboards you'll have to re-register with the new forum since I wasn't able to import the old user database.

Here's the user poll & discussion thread: http://www.bear-town.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=15&st=0#entry15