Original Star Wars Trilogy on DVD

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I smell a boxed set sometime around episode three hits the theaters or the video shelves. I'm sure Lucas will milk every opportunity to make money off the Star Wars franchise. The petition is cool and I agree with it, but it probably isn't necessary. I have always been a film purist at heart. Maybe George isn't letting all of his gameplan out of the bag. :wink: He can sell three or four different versions of the same film (original, altered, cropped and widescreen). I have no doubt he will take advantage of that. I have heard that the trilogy will come out after Ep3. It really is a good strategy. Wish it wasn't all about the marketing, though. :sympathy:

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Anyone concerned with such matters should read this ... or watch it, anyway ... whichever is the easier. Guaranteed laughs either way.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
I smell a boxed set sometime around episode three hits the theaters or the video shelves. I'm sure Lucas will milk every opportunity to make money off the Star Wars franchise. The petition is cool and I agree with it, but it probably isn't necessary. I have always been a film purist at heart. Maybe George isn't letting all of his gameplan out of the bag. He can sell three or four different versions of the same film (original, altered, cropped and widescreen). I have no doubt he will take advantage of that. I have heard that the trilogy will come out after Ep3. It really is a good strategy. Wish it wasn't all about the marketing, though.
George Lucas has been recorded on video and audio tape on a number of occasions stating that the original theatrical cuts of the original trilogy of movies will never be released again in any format. So you're right when you say that he'll milk us with boxed sets and whatever, but any home video release (be it DVD, HD-DVD, or whatever comes next) of those films will only contain his "re-imagined" Special Edition versions.

Read the petition for more details. Anyone who grew up in the 70's and 80's with these films I would think should find interest in supporting this cause.

Jackie

Reaction score
Personally the original cuts looked more realistic. LOL! The CGI looks terrible in every Star Wars movie, even the new ones. That would be the reason why I would want the old cuts.

Anyone see the episode of South Park where all those guys sneak into George Lucas's house to protect Raiders of the lost Arc?? LOL!!!!

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
That's the link I forwarded to you guys in my previous post. Check it out.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jackie
Anyone see the episode of South Park where all those guys sneak into George Lucas's house to protect Raiders of the lost Arc?? LOL!!!!
That's the link I forwarded to you guys in my previous post. Check it out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still don't understand the big hullabaloo. It's not like the changes were major or anything.

What I mean to say is, the changes I have heard are just minor. The only big things were the Jabba scene in A New Hope, and the musical number from return of the Jedi.

I know that sounds uneducated, but I just don't get it.

What I do know is if they did something MAJORLY stupid, i.e. replacing all Puppet Yodas with CGI ones, then I'll fight with you. But until then, I'm not so sure about this.:confused:

scarecroe

Reaction score
The changes made in the 1997 Special Edition versions of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are well documented all over the Internet, but some of those changes include...
  • Mos Eisley spaceport rampant with CGI clutter
  • Han shoots Greedo first
  • CGI Jabba addition
  • Wampa more intimately revealed decreasing fear factor
  • Death Stars explode with much more modern looking ripple effect
  • Cloud City's tweeking (one of the only really justifiable changes)
  • the ridiculous creature enhancement to the Sarlac Pit
  • Luke screams like a girl when he falls in the famous "I am your father" scene
  • 'Lapti Nek' replaced with 'Jedi Rocks'
  • the "send for my transport" scene with new (poorly looped) Darth Vader dialogue
  • omitting the milliseconds of film where the blaster fire makes contact with their targets
  • replacing 'Ewok Celebration' with 'Victory Celebration'
There are plenty more, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Overall, these CGIed versions really kill the old school look that the originals had as well as making really stupid omissions and additions. Next to the Bespin change, the only other "fix" that I can think of that was worth doing was removing the pink blur under Luke's landspeeder in A New Hope.