Once and for all...what is it?

BorkBork

Reaction score
Okay, friends, can anyone please explaini, once and for all...

what exactly is 'Gasket Rubber'???

Please dont just say "it's a material used for muppet mouths", because i know that :wink:

I am a swede, and even tho my english is good, this is a word...or 2 actually...that i don't understand. How does it look...where can i buy it...what is it normally used for. Please explain as you would to a 2 year old.

/Anders

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Anders,

Ditto !

Whenever i search for it in England, i get very very funny looks - LOL !

Please Explain...

see ya

matleo

Reaction score
It's used in cars although I'm not exactly sure for what. You can obtain it in most auto supply stores. I'm actually going to go out and look for some this week for a puppet i'm working on. If I get more information. I'll let you guys know.

--Matt

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I've found it in the plumbing section at Lowes, so it must have something to do with bathrooms/waterclosets.

BorkBork

Reaction score
could someone please tell me what it looks like...or maybe show me a pic?
/Anders

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
It is rubber (like shoe soles) , a dull red color, and comes in 6x6 inch squares. I think you can also get it in 12x12 inch squares. They're sort of like rubber tiles.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

Im going to go look for some tommorow too...

Wish me luck !

And how would you attach this material ?

Glue, Sew !?

And would you use the whole mouth plate( Top and bottom) or put them on seperately ?

See ya

matleo

Reaction score
thanks to the tip from Scary Larry Wolf (and the mumblings of some mad man at my local Lowe's) I was able to locate some earlier today and have built a mouth palette for a puppet for an upcoming gig.

To answer Warrick's wuestions about how to use it....

1) Cut your upper mouth palette

2) cut your lower mouth palette.

3) Lay them out so the pieces out so that the mouth flat (or REALLY wide open) and lay a piece of duct tape across them.

4) Now close the mouth and lay another piece of duct tape across the 'outside' of the hinge.

5) Lay the mouth piece flat again over a piece of felt and trace the felt slightly larger then the mouth (about 1/2 an inch or so).

6) Cut the felt out and glue it on to the inside of the mouth

7) You now have a little extra felt hanging off the side. take your scissors and make a cut towards the mouth about every 1/2 inch. you should now be able to fold the felt up over onto the back of the palette and tack it down with a little glue.

Ta-da!

Warrick if you have any qeustions, drop me a post, e-mail or whatever and i'll try to send some type of pic or diagram to hep you out. I'm doing a lot of building this week so this is a godo time to ask questons as i'll probably have the answer sitting in front of me. I'm also going to try and take some process shots too to kind of chronicle this particular project. Hope this helps.

--Matt

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
That's exactly how I hinge mouths.

Hurray! I'm useful!

Oh, one more thing. If you want to sew fabric onto the gasket rubber, I suggest you first make some holes in the rubber around the parimeter with a leather hole puncher (like you use to make extra holes in belts and sandals). The rubber is pretty tough to stick needles into. Hav phun on your projects!

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks...

Wouldnt you be able to see the Duct Tape in the fold of the mouth tho ?

See ya